Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Launching with a transbrake, advice needed

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2009, 03:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Launching with a transbrake, advice needed

I was oh so close to the 11's yesterday I decided to risk my stock IRS in the goat with a transbrake launch. I borrowed a set of 275/50r15 MT DR's and did a good smokey 2nd gear burnout. Staged in the lane and when the lights came down I let go of the button at 4000rpm. It hit so hard and hooked so quick I accidentally pulled my Hurst Quarterstick shifter into 2nd. I had to put it back in first and get back on it. After all that I still managed a 1.93 60ft. My question is how do you all keep yourselves from pulling on the shifter on the launch? I thought about running a new button that just attaches to the steering wheel or possibly just hitting the button on the handle with my thumb and not wrapping my fingers around the shifter.

Ideas???
Old 02-22-2009, 03:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

usually the button is mounted on the shifter slightly to the right of the handle. then just easy your hand over and pull the next gear after the initial shock. A button on the steering wheel would also be a good choice as well.
Old 02-22-2009, 04:35 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,099 Likes on 721 Posts

Per advice of some friends, I ran my 'brake buttons loose and held 'em in my right hand. After the launch I grabbed the shifter.
Old 02-22-2009, 04:54 PM
10 Second Club

yeah thats what ive been told also ....i may mount it on my steering wheel
Old 02-22-2009, 05:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Pro Stock John
Per advice of some friends, I ran my 'brake buttons loose and held 'em in my right hand. After the launch I grabbed the shifter.
Yeah I think that's going to be the plan. Get a switch on a twisty wire and keep it in the center console. Then just pull it out for racing. I'll just rewire the one in the shifter for the linelock whenever I put that in.
Old 02-22-2009, 06:22 PM
FormerVendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah, it is gonna be tricky with it mounted on teh shifter like taht. You may want to move it, that way when you launch your hand is not on teh shifter. Only thing there is, once your ET starts dropping, gear changes will start coming alot quicker as well, and if your hand is not on teh shifter, you launch, and then you have to reach for the shifter, and if not quick enough, your screwed that way as well. Right now, where you are at, you should be OK that way though. You can always go reverse pattern if you want, and than you are shifting "uphill"
Old 02-22-2009, 07:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Uphill shifting is the normal pattern. I have a reverse pattern which is PRN123. If I have to worry about not being quick enough I'll just get an electric shift solenoid set to shift at a predetermined rpm.
Old 02-22-2009, 07:34 PM
10 Second Club

I have mine wired to my horn/horn pad. That way I have both hands on the wheel for lauching.

I used a relay and a switch.
When the switch is on the horn circuit is opened and the 12v for the horns now is used to energize the coil side of the relay for the tbrake solenoid, when off horns worn normally.
Old 02-22-2009, 07:41 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Pro Stock John
This is more scary then anything else... When you drop the button there is no guarantees that it won't land on the button and engage the transbrake post launch... not fun! Seen it done, wrecks shop on your expensive transmission, torque convertor, driveshaft, and rear...

Good advice is to mount the button remotely and stationary somewhere on your dash. More importantly a place you can't bump it, i. e. by the front of the ashtray on a camaro, or on the dash somewhere, anywhere you or something won't hit it post launch.

Afterall, they're automatics so you don't need your hand on the shifter during the launch. Safety should be a main concern and mounting it on a twistywire is not safe IMHO...
Old 02-22-2009, 08:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

Hmmmm. I understand the safety concern of the twisty wire switch loose. I could swear I remember a twisty wire switch that velcros around the steering wheel. It's either that or I get a Fast'n Furious steering wheel with buttons.
Old 02-23-2009, 12:35 AM
12 Second Club

^whoa vin diesel! lol...

Doesn't have to be on the steering wheel man, in fact, i wouldn't suggest that either, just incase you're grabbing for **** if the car gets a little wild... mounted off to the side and outta the way is the way to do it... just my .02 though. Hopefully some other racers will get in here and say something. Especially if the car is driven on the street and stuff.
Old 02-23-2009, 01:19 AM
8 Second Club

This is what i use i got to useing it because in the street car you can hide it it the center consoul . and use a stock shifter with a gate for a glide . it looks stock. I have used 3 of these and never had an issue . Dynamic racing transmision is who sales them like a 100 bucks. watch this vid a buddy of mine sent it to me a year are so ago http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LGTbqZWJprs
Attached Thumbnails Launching with a transbrake, advice needed-launchstick.jpg  

Last edited by pmbmax; 02-23-2009 at 01:24 AM.

Quick Reply: Launching with a transbrake, advice needed