Drag Racing Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help with chasis setup, full weight M6....

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2009, 05:24 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Help with chasis setup, full weight M6....

I am setting my full weight M6 TA up to go to the strip and looking for some tips to get it down the track without buying anymore parts for right now. Here is the setup:

Power
Ms3 cam only, 390rwhp(before the 9" install), 39k miles
NX150, 545rwhp.

Tranny
Stock T56, old single disc McLeod, Tick MC, 3" chromemoly drive shaft

Rear
9", 3.70s, True Trac, PA -2*, LCA drop brackets bottom hole,stock shocks

Chasis
Full weight, 3860lbs race weight
275/40s up front(heavy Z06 reps)
Stock front suspension except 1.5" drop Hotchkis springs, !swaybar
26x11.50x16 ET Street(bias ply)
Random Tech Adj TA, Mac boxed LCAs, BMR adj. pan hard, 1.5" Hotchkis drop springs, stock rear sway bar, Hotchkis subrame connectors

Thats all I can really afford to buy right now so I am gonna try to make do with it. Not looking to strip any weight out of it, I want to run it just how I drive it on the street, I am not expecting it to set the world on fire by any stretch....Kind of hoping for low 12s on motor and low 11s on the spray....I guess it all depends on how well it hooks....Its lowered so that hurts it, especially with stock shocks...The track is HRP so its usually prepped pretty well. Any pointers or tips for getting this fat pig down the track is appreciated!

THANKS GUYS!
Old 06-06-2009, 10:23 PM
10 Second Club

see how the track holds start at 3500 slip the clutch a little and go from there ,if it bogs go higher ....with an M6 its all trial an error each car is different ....i would start with 18 lbs of air in the tires and go down from there
i was coming out at 5500 average when i had my 6spd but i had a lot more drag suspension than you
Old 06-06-2009, 10:39 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ndfrsd6
see how the track holds start at 3500 slip the clutch a little and go from there ,if it bogs go higher ....with an M6 its all trial an error each car is different ....i would start with 18 lbs of air in the tires and go down from there
i was coming out at 5500 average when i had my 6spd but i had a lot more drag suspension than you

Oh it will definetly bog.....I ran it at the strip 3 yrs ago right after the cam install, still running the 10 bolt and using Nittos...I was trying to drive it out of the hole and it would either bog or just drive out with no real power. I think with this big *** cam in this heavy of a car, its gonna need to be dumped up high, if not that, slid from real high...It doesn't even start making power below 4k. I will start at 18lbs though... THX.
Old 06-07-2009, 01:05 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Also... I have not bought the rear ET Streets yet, I will be ordering them this week. I was thinking the ET streets will work better on a stick car with limited weight transfer but since I am not gonna run skinnies up front for a while, I know there is the potential for "sway".... Since this car is almost 3900lbs and will be running 125mph+, should I maybe look into the ET Street RADIALs instead? or try to hustle up some skinnies for the front? I need this thing to hook as good as possible with lack luster suspension... I will be leaving on the jug.
Old 06-08-2009, 02:47 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

with 4.30's and 28" slicks @ 14 psi my buddys full weight cam only (ms3) SS was bogging at 6400. thats full suspension, all motor.
Old 06-08-2009, 04:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

and yes, defintly try and get some skinnies, the slicks will tend to wander more with the wider front tires. with an M6 car, you're gonna have a hard time with radials, they're just gonna spin. the skinnies will defintly help with transfer...

are you planning on running a sway bar up front?
Old 06-08-2009, 08:01 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by kmracer
and yes, defintly try and get some skinnies, the slicks will tend to wander more with the wider front tires. with an M6 car, you're gonna have a hard time with radials, they're just gonna spin. the skinnies will defintly help with transfer...

are you planning on running a sway bar up front?

I will definetly disconnect the sway bar.....pretty damn sure I am gonna go with ET Street bias plys to get some transfer and absorbtion....I was slightly concerned about the sway. I ran the car about 8 yrs ago with 26x10. ET street bias plys with stock front 245/60s and it did have a slight sway but I was only trapping 121mph back then....I figure it'll go 125-127 now.... Maybe i'll hustle up some skinnies, I already have billet spacers and long ARP studs on it so that won't be a problem....Although I can't afford the expensive *** drag front tires to....guess I'll have to run Kumos or something for now unless I can find a used set.

I figure its probably gonna bog if I straight up dump it....at least on motor. I think its really only gonna run on the spray anyway.....3850lbs, I have cold *** plugs, 23* timing and low compression(MS3 and stock heads) so it needs the spray...
Old 06-08-2009, 08:23 PM
12 Second Club

If the car is swaying you do not have enough air in the tires. I have found on my z-28 m6 that 20 psi works well, depending on track conditons. My car is just bolt ons, but I do have alot of suspension work done. I was told if it hooks go up in air until it spins. Good luck
Old 06-18-2009, 08:29 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Well I found a set of Greg Weld front runners I am thinking about picking up, I am thinking it may be smart to just get some Sportsman pro bias ply front runner tires to help keep the sway to a minimum. Right now I am just getting the cash together to flip for the ET street rears, GW front wheels and Sportsman tires. I am removing the sway bar this weekend, gonna double check my pinion angle and go over all my nuts/bolts one more time. Hopefully I can get it to the track in the next couple weeks. Ofcourse now its 98* out so....

Hopefully my $3k rear end and drive shaft hold up to the 150 shot out of the hole....

Sure wish I could penny up for the 408 or 416....maybe after tax time next year. I need mo powa.
Old 06-18-2009, 08:59 AM
10 Second Club

if your 9" breaks you are doing something wrong. I launch my Strange 12 bolt with 4.30 gears and 28x10.5 ET Drags with a 150 shot and it holds. I think your 9" will handle your power just fine.

I run 12-13 lbs in my 26x11.5 on 17" ET Streets with little to no sway with 275 BFGs upfront. Launching the car is all trial and error at the track. on a street tire night on ET Streets I have to leave at 3500-4500 to get it to hook but on a prepped night I can leave off the rev limiter. It all depends on how the car transfers. I would move the control arms to the middle hole to see how they work first then drop them if you are not hooking.
Old 06-18-2009, 09:13 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by purdueranger
if your 9" breaks you are doing something wrong. I launch my Strange 12 bolt with 4.30 gears and 28x10.5 ET Drags with a 150 shot and it holds. I think your 9" will handle your power just fine.

I run 12-13 lbs in my 26x11.5 on 17" ET Streets with little to no sway with 275 BFGs upfront. Launching the car is all trial and error at the track. on a street tire night on ET Streets I have to leave at 3500-4500 to get it to hook but on a prepped night I can leave off the rev limiter. It all depends on how the car transfers. I would move the control arms to the middle hole to see how they work first then drop them if you are not hooking.

Thanks for the reply bro...I was really more concerned with the Tru Trac in my 9" lunching itself....I guess we'll see. As for running ET Street bias plys with 275 radials up front, THAT is what I would REALLY like to do....I am really not interested in doing the skinny tire thing up front but most members here recommend it for safety. I know that skinnies are good for a tenth or two and help with transfer etc but....I would still rather run my normal street wheels and tires, drive to the track, slap on the slicks, race, then swap em back out and drive home. I may try it first just to see how it does.

The track I race at is Houston Raceway Park, it is usually prepped pretty well. I think the problem I have is my car is lowered and doesn't transfer well. I will pull the swaybar links before going to the track though. That is also the reason I dropped the LCAs to the lowest hole as my LCAs were tracking UPWARDS towards the axle from the body since the car is lowered. Now the LCAs are about parallel to the ground. I almost think they should be a tad lower but.... I guess I am just gonna have to get out there and try it first. I was just trying to get all my ducks in a row before I hit the track. I may try it with the 275s up front, if it gets stupid, I'll lift. Wasn't bad though at 121mph.....but that was 10 yrs ago..LOL