Drag Racing Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

As you burn fuel, what happens to your sixty foot?

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2009, 01:49 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default As you burn fuel, what happens to your sixty foot?

Just like the title sais.

Seems that I go the the track with 1/2 tank, and the more I use, the worse my short times and tire spin gets. What do you guys do?
Old 06-27-2009, 09:20 AM
TJ
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

for all out ET, i run a 1/2 tank or a lil less. depending on the track and suspension, its hit or miss.
for bracket racing, i run a full tank of gas and lead in the car to keep it consistant.
Old 06-27-2009, 10:24 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by joblo1978
and the more I use, the worse my short times and tire spin gets. What do you guys do?
The bolded is directly related. You answered your own question. You need that weight in the back end to keep from spinning. If your spinning, your not gonna get a good 60 ft. Maybe you should try to keep it topped off at about a half a tank or wherever it is that you need it to be to keep it weighted down for traction.
Old 06-27-2009, 10:50 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by keith_AE2010
The bolded is directly related. You answered your own question. You need that weight in the back end to keep from spinning. If your spinning, your not gonna get a good 60 ft. Maybe you should try to keep it topped off at about a half a tank or wherever it is that you need it to be to keep it weighted down for traction.

Or keep it closer to empty and try to get it hooked up with less fuel, as less fuel = less weight which = better ET's.

It is a fine line to walk, for sure. More weight, better traction, which can equal better ET's obviosly, BUT, if you can get it hooked up with less weight, you obviously gonna have quicker ET's as well.

Remember gas weighs roughly 6 LBS per gallon. Carrying an extra 10 gallons (roughly 60 LBS), and you might as well put another battery in the car
Old 06-27-2009, 11:05 AM
Banned

Yeah, I'm going to try some things next weekend. Pulling the front sway and trying a little more fuel to see what happens. I'll probably try 3/4 and see what happens as I get towards a half.

It's just kind of funny how I drove 35 miles on the interstate to ge to the track, it was hot out, blower probably heatsoaked and I got my best 60' on my first pass. Towards the end of the night it was noticeably cooler and my 60's werent as good.

MPH didn't change too much though.
Old 06-27-2009, 11:09 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by keith_AE2010

It's not really consistent though and I don't know if it's for certain, could be lots of other variables as we know. But I did get about 13 runs in on one night. My worst 60's were at the end of the night when the track was a bit cooler.

I went from getting some decent 1.8's to 1.9's as the night went on. Just wondering if it's not too crazy to think that my fuel level could be a part of this.
Old 06-27-2009, 03:14 PM
11 Second Club

How low on gas did you get? I always try and keep it above a 1/4 tank so i dont starve the fuel pump and rob the motor of gas.
Old 06-27-2009, 04:33 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by AChotrod
How low on gas did you get? I always try and keep it above a 1/4 tank so i dont starve the fuel pump and rob the motor of gas.

Now THAT is a very good point, and something I overlooked until you brought it up. You really need to pay attention on your level with a stock tank, you got 3 or 4 gallons in a stock tank, sounds like enough, BUT, with all the area that 3-4 gallons is spread out, and you are looking at a VERY low fuel line. Obviously that is one of the MANY, reasons that a fuel cell is beneficial, that 3 or 4 gallons in a cell, over such a small area, and then you have teh sumped portion of teh cell.

So, good point AChotrod

Last edited by Gen414; 06-27-2009 at 09:25 PM.
Old 06-27-2009, 05:02 PM
11 Second Club

Thanks!
Old 06-27-2009, 10:00 PM
On The Tree

We just burnt up a new pump because of a faulty gage, so yes you can easily burn one up.

Also, everyone gets ate up with "ET". Who cares about ET if you can't do the same thing over and over again. Unless they are handing out money for low ET, focus on being within a few thousandths of each run, even if that means being a few 10ths slower than what you like to brag about.

I've been known to ADD three bags of salt to the trunk area (240 lbs) just to get the car to launch like I want. Laugh if you want, but I was untouchable on the tree and dead on consistent. All the guys worried about setting land speed records went home after a few rounds. Don't get me wrong, if you can run deadly fast, still cut a light and take the stripe with the same ET over and over again, go for it. If not, you better have a plan B.
Old 06-30-2009, 12:12 PM
7 Second Club

Originally Posted by b.d.d.
We just burnt up a new pump because of a faulty gage, so yes you can easily burn one up.

Also, everyone gets ate up with "ET". Who cares about ET if you can't do the same thing over and over again. Unless they are handing out money for low ET, focus on being within a few thousandths of each run, even if that means being a few 10ths slower than what you like to brag about.

I've been known to ADD three bags of salt to the trunk area (240 lbs) just to get the car to launch like I want. Laugh if you want, but I was untouchable on the tree and dead on consistent. All the guys worried about setting land speed records went home after a few rounds. Don't get me wrong, if you can run deadly fast, still cut a light and take the stripe with the same ET over and over again, go for it. If not, you better have a plan B.
tell it like it is.... i have about 210lbs of ballast in my bumper right now.... when the car starts star gazing ill take some weight out.... but until then its just part of the equation.
Old 06-30-2009, 12:20 PM
12 Second Club

^ agreed

I drive my car to and from the track, so I make sure my routine starts before I get there and always fill up at the same gas station.

Also if you are barely hooking your 60' will suffer if the track temp drops too far. I always add 2 hundredths to my dial when the sun goes down.
Old 06-30-2009, 06:54 PM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I naver have more then a 1/4 tank when I race. Still 60 foot 1.42's. n/a. But,I never really gave it much thought ti'll this post. maybe i'll try 1/2 tank and see what happens.