Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Non-electric seats...

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2009, 09:49 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Non-electric seats...

Im looking for a way to reduce wieght with my stock seats without spending big money on race seats. Its a street car so Im not going for the fiberglass, etc. type of seat.

I looked at the wieght reduction list and it doesnt have a seat wieght with no electric motor in them, so Im asking if anyone knows the wieght diff between the two: electric vs. manual seats?

Thanks.
Old 08-24-2009, 10:44 AM
kp
8 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Stroked96Bowtie
Im looking for a way to reduce wieght with my stock seats without spending big money on race seats. Its a street car so Im not going for the fiberglass, etc. type of seat.

I looked at the wieght reduction list and it doesnt have a seat wieght with no electric motor in them, so Im asking if anyone knows the wieght diff between the two: electric vs. manual seats?

Thanks.
Not a lot, I had both electric and manual tracks here, maybe 1-2lbs. The drivers side manual adjuster has a height adjustment as well so it isnt light. They are easy enough to find on V6 cars in the junkyard though..
Old 08-24-2009, 10:52 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by kp
Not a lot, I had both electric and manual tracks here, maybe 1-2lbs. The drivers side manual adjuster has a height adjustment as well so it isnt light. They are easy enough to find on V6 cars in the junkyard though..
Okay, I thought I would be able to get at least 10# or so doing a seat swap. I found a set of seats without the motor, etc. I will go wieght it later this week to see what the diff is. Has anyone tried taking stock seats to an upholster shop and see if they are able to remove wieght by thier means? That likley wouldnt be cheap either...
Old 08-24-2009, 01:15 PM
kp
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by Stroked96Bowtie
Okay, I thought I would be able to get at least 10# or so doing a seat swap. I found a set of seats without the motor, etc. I will go wieght it later this week to see what the diff is. Has anyone tried taking stock seats to an upholster shop and see if they are able to remove wieght by thier means? That likley wouldnt be cheap either...
If I remember the difference between the leather/electric T/A seats, not the ones with lumbar, compared to a cloth/manual V6 firebird seat was like 11lbs. Its easiest just to do a lightweight seat and swap it out when you go racing, thats what I did for a long time.
Old 08-24-2009, 01:17 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by kp
If I remember the difference between the leather/electric T/A seats, not the ones with lumbar, compared to a cloth/manual V6 firebird seat was like 11lbs. Its easiest just to do a lightweight seat and swap it out when you go racing, thats what I did for a long time.
Swap them out when you go to the track...hmm...not a bad idea.
Old 08-24-2009, 02:47 PM
10 Second Club

I remember a thread about a guy just taking out the motor/wiring/etc. from his stock ones. I can't find the thread.
Old 08-24-2009, 06:46 PM
TECH Regular

not mean to hijack thread just a quick question does anyone know where i can buy the manual slider seat rail for a 2000 trans am seat. thanks -tony-
Old 08-24-2009, 07:01 PM
On The Tree

I swapped from power to manual on a drivers 93-96 Camaro seat and it was a 3.63 pound reduction.
Old 08-24-2009, 07:52 PM
kp
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by chvypwr31
not mean to hijack thread just a quick question does anyone know where i can buy the manual slider seat rail for a 2000 trans am seat. thanks -tony-
Any 93-up f-body in the junkyard, they are all over the place, most V6 cars have the manual seats.
Old 08-25-2009, 01:42 AM
TECH Regular

thanks kp