Drag Racing Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mathmatical equation to hp vs. weight of a vehicle?

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2009, 04:00 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Mathmatical equation to hp vs. weight of a vehicle?

Basically I have a guy who owns an SRT10 Ram truck Viper motor with a 6 speed. I personally saw him dyno 522 RWHP as I in my WS6 dynoed 423 RWHP. His truck is roughly 12-1400 lbs heavier. We ran with him (supposedly off spray) being about 2 cars back at 130. He wants to run on spray (250-300 shot) and claims he will walk 4 cars? My question is basically how could a truck say 1400 lbs heavier with only 100 hp more be that close in a run. Is that mathmatically possible? Also your thoughts on the NOS shot bringing him even or passing if he wasn't spraying the first time. He put down 690 on a 250 shot.
Old 12-02-2009, 05:06 PM
I write checks with my mouth that my ass can't cash

if hes only 2 cars back "off spray" and he throws a 250 shot at you hes gonna walk you by alot...
Old 12-02-2009, 05:16 PM
9 Second Club

You might be able to "back in" to an educated guess using a HP calculator such as this

http://www.ajdesigner.com/phphorsepo...horsepower.php

Using 3700lbs & 126mph trap for you yeilds 430hp

Using 5100 & 127 for him yeilds 607hp
Old 12-02-2009, 08:20 PM
11 Second Club

is it red.... with a painted intake? like custom painted intake....
Old 12-02-2009, 08:33 PM
Teching In

The Truck Makes 786RWHP on a 150 Shot..... I know i own the truck.. an it spun the tires on the dyno and then blew threw the clutch.....greg good knows his **** on heads and cams thats why it works so well together
Old 12-02-2009, 08:38 PM
11 Second Club

haha yea thought it was that truck... to the OP hell ur lucky u got 2 cars on him..... wade get a damn tire under that think and walk people in a truck already.... BTW... wade got that pic of me in ardmore?
Old 12-02-2009, 08:41 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 98mysticZ
haha yea thought it was that truck... to the OP hell ur lucky u got 2 cars on him..... wade get a damn tire under that think and walk people in a truck already.... BTW... wade got that pic of me in ardmore?
I'll text you.. i think i've got them somewhere
Old 12-02-2009, 08:52 PM
7 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

as mentioned, he "should" walk you on the bottle if you're only 2 out on him N/A. Figure every 100 lb / 10 hp is good for roughly a tenth of a second. Do the math and likely he'll be ahead.

Derek
Old 12-02-2009, 10:40 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts

A peak horse power number really means nothing if you're aren't racing dynos. He probably makes 200 ft-lbs more torque than you in some areas.

As for 100hp/10hp, well that doesn't mean anything either. The more you weigh the less weight matters. Put 100 extra pounds on a sport bike and slow it down .5 or more in the 1/4 put that on that truck and you'd no likely know the difference between runs.
Old 12-03-2009, 12:06 AM
TECH Fanatic

what ever you do video the next run!!
Old 12-03-2009, 06:23 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by silverz28camaro
what ever you do video the next run!!
lol we had video of the runs .... or well i thought we did until i got hoome an relized the guy shooting video was a complete tard lol only got the part where he was saying "whats that smell....o Damn thats my clutch.... at least you got him" lol i wasn't happy with the guy hahaha
Old 12-03-2009, 06:25 AM
Internet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

No one has asked yet.... is this a roll race or from a stop??

IF it is a roll race, gearing makes a big difference but essentially its a Weight to HP Ratio. The guy with the higher number should win if all else is equal.

If from a dig, there is a lot ot be had by getting out the hole 1st, that makes up much of the difference....
Old 12-03-2009, 10:52 AM
9 Second Club

lol...that calculator says I have 689 HP 3220 raceweight @139.99 trap. Is this flywheel? My car dyno'd 580 RWHP (converter locked) when it had the th350 and lockup converter.
Old 12-03-2009, 11:26 AM
9 Second Club

mph/240 ....cubed....X weight is a good dynojet rwhp guess
Old 12-03-2009, 11:44 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Tooloe
The Truck Makes 786RWHP on a 150 Shot..... I know i own the truck.. an it spun the tires on the dyno and then blew threw the clutch.....greg good knows his **** on heads and cams thats why it works so well together
Glad you could make it Man. I am simply trying to figure out whether or not I can hang with you while you are spraying. Damn you can find a thread anywhere! Guess my spray #'s were a little off huh? Just cannot figure out how you being 12-1400 lbs heavier and only 100 rwhp over me ( no spray) that you kept up that well on the good runs? Seems it woulda took the spray to make up the 1400lbs difference?
These were rolls cuase neither of us can hook!<<< really looks like this!
Old 12-03-2009, 11:46 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 98mysticZ
He wasn't spinning at 140!
Old 12-03-2009, 12:46 PM
Internet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by FSTR/TA
Glad you could make it Man. I am simply trying to figure out whether or not I can hang with you while you are spraying. Damn you can find a thread anywhere! Guess my spray #'s were a little off huh? Just cannot figure out how you being 12-1400 lbs heavier and only 100 rwhp over me ( no spray) that you kept up that well on the good runs? Seems it woulda took the spray to make up the 1400lbs difference?
Just because the static weight is more does not mean in all sitiations that it will make that much if a difference. Once an object is in motion, it is going to take less power for it to move, and in our case, move faster. The most effort will need to be put from a stationary or (at a stop) and that shows the insufficency of your tire/suspension setups.

Once you guys stop "Ricing" from a Roll and work on suspension, that Race Weight is going to really show it's ugly head for the SRT-10. I think that is why you feel that there is a discrepency.
Old 12-03-2009, 12:52 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by FSTR/TA
hahha it's cool man i just know alot of people and i troll hahaha.. in all honesty witha good set of tires i'm pretty sure we would be alot closer on motor maybe... i dunno i don't really do motor races... but it is also the driver. i don't granny shift i keep having to replace the plastic plunger that connect under the dash lol cause i'm stomping the hell out of it..

Originally Posted by BlackScreaminMachine
Just because the static weight is more does not mean in all sitiations that it will make that much if a difference. Once an object is in motion, it is going to take less power for it to move, and in our case, move faster. The most effort will need to be put from a stationary or (at a stop) and that shows the insufficency of your tire/suspension setups.

Once you guys stop "Ricing" from a Roll and work on suspension, that Race Weight is going to really show it's ugly head for the SRT-10. I think that is why you feel that there is a discrepency.
Roll races are for people with high horsepower jk

i would love to put coil opvers on my truck but.. i'm not going to drop about 4300 bucks just for a 4 link set up and some coil overs.. i'll be ok with roll racing.. an for dig racing lol the way it's set up no thank you. last time i tried to do that i almost hiot the ditch along with the car i was racing....either way it's all in fun.. the truck needs to lose some weight it'll help it move out alot better... an rember it's also like pushing a brick down the road hahaha so i would be to concerned woith rolling mass more than aerodynamics
Old 12-03-2009, 02:50 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by BlackScreaminMachine

what this guy said!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 12-03-2009, 07:31 PM
11 Second Club

yea but its a VIPER BRICK...... so it has to be more areodynamic (sp) plus red adds to a lower drag coefficant... (sP)