Project removable "one piece" front end using factory bumper and fenders - LS1TECH



Project removable "one piece" front end using factory bumper and fenders

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-08-2010, 07:51 AM   #1
TECH Senior Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (21)
 
Fireball's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Cecil County Raceway!!!
Posts: 8,469
Default Project removable "one piece" front end using factory bumper and fenders

Was inspired by the 275 buildup thread in this section so I decided to take a crack at making a "one piece" front end using OEM parts and pinon hood. I just started on it this past weekend while snowed in during the blizzard of 2010

Using a VFN 5" sloped pin-on hood (extended to the windshield)




As a starting point, I used a VFN fiberglass front end mounting kit (comes with the necessary brackets and tabs...easier than building from scratch)

here it is mocked up on the ground:


Note the clecos...they are holding the front attachment plates. Here is a picture from the back side. The bar that goes across the bumper is what holds the front in place (this is the bar held in with clecos in the previous picture)...this bar locks it in place both up/down and side to side. The small bar in the back is just for mockup...keeps the back of the fenders at the proper distance.


These are the plates that the front bar interlock with


Now its time to cut a sh%t ton of metal out of the front My plan is to use some chromemoly to make supports for the fenders (and for the hood dzus tabs) and to use some small tubing to make supports for the OEM headlight covers
Fireball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 09:16 AM   #2
10 Second Club
iTrader: (10)
 
5.3LJimmy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Napoleonville, LA
Posts: 2,279
Default

Looks good so far. This is probably the kind of thing I would be doing if I was snowed in. Good luck with it.
5.3LJimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 10:50 AM   #3
Launching!
iTrader: (1)
 
nickp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: whitehouse, oh.
Posts: 247
Default

Looks cool! That thing will be easy to work on when you can pull whole nose off.
nickp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 12:10 PM   #4
TECH Enthusiast
iTrader: (19)
 
Cliff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: deam land
Posts: 623
Default

Can't wait to see what the finished product looks like.
Cliff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 12:30 PM   #5
10 Second Club
iTrader: (13)
 
Rickys S/C Z28's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: MOREHEAD KY
Posts: 3,304
Default

that is bad ***
Rickys S/C Z28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 05:33 PM   #6
TECH Fanatic
iTrader: (60)
 
InsaneAuto86's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Reading, PA
Posts: 1,550
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickys S/C Z28 View Post
that is bad ***
+1... tht looks awesome!
InsaneAuto86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 05:33 PM   #7
TECH Veteran
iTrader: (31)
 
Taubr Unit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Chicago
Posts: 4,071
Default

Taubr Unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 05:40 PM   #8
10 Second Club
 
tals7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: se mich(pluto)
Posts: 401
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fireball View Post
Was inspired by the 275 buildup thread in this section so I decided to take a crack at making a "one piece" front end using OEM parts and pinon hood. I just started on it this past weekend while snowed in during the blizzard of 2010

Using a VFN 5" sloped pin-on hood (extended to the windshield)




As a starting point, I used a VFN fiberglass front end mounting kit (comes with the necessary brackets and tabs...easier than building from scratch)

here it is mocked up on the ground:


Note the clecos...they are holding the front attachment plates. Here is a picture from the back side. The bar that goes across the bumper is what holds the front in place (this is the bar held in with clecos in the previous picture)...this bar locks it in place both up/down and side to side. The small bar in the back is just for mockup...keeps the back of the fenders at the proper distance.


These are the plates that the front bar interlock with


Now its time to cut a sh%t ton of metal out of the front My plan is to use some chromemoly to make supports for the fenders (and for the hood dzus tabs) and to use some small tubing to make supports for the OEM headlight covers
that looks good.have you seen the gold ohio boy ta he has same thing but did it alot differet(smaller tubes)his was light also.
tals7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 06:59 PM   #9
TECH Enthusiast
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 591
Default

Subscribing. And please keep the pics coming.
LSmonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 07:48 PM   #10
9 Second Club
iTrader: (23)
 
tektrans's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 3,378
Default

Good stuff fireball, keep them coming.
tektrans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 06:48 AM   #11
TECH Senior Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (21)
 
Fireball's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Cecil County Raceway!!!
Posts: 8,469
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tals7 View Post
that looks good.have you seen the gold ohio boy ta he has same thing but did it alot differet(smaller tubes)his was light also.
I had to use 1 1/4" tubing since my fuel cell is going up front (needs a saftey cage around it)
Fireball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 07:12 AM   #12
LS1Tech Sponsor
iTrader: (4)
 
MADMAN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: At the track
Posts: 5,287
Default

I would add a couple 1/2" bars to the front support.
MADMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 08:17 AM   #13
TECH Senior Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (21)
 
Fireball's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Cecil County Raceway!!!
Posts: 8,469
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MADMAN View Post
I would add a couple 1/2" bars to the front support.
I am. this is just the start. I have plates and 1/2" tubing to support the top and bottom of the bumper. I'll probably work on that next.
Fireball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 09:29 AM   #14
Race your car!
iTrader: (49)
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 15,149
Default

Couple round bar pieces to a flat tab that runs alotn the bottom, trim the "flap" that used to go up to the stock bumper support, and it should be nice and solid.

Pretty cool trick, making the whole nose come off as one piece like that. I assume, that you can get away with that for classes that say "no one piece front ends", because it's made from the stock body panels correct?
JL ws-6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 10:54 AM   #15
TECH Senior Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (21)
 
Fireball's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Cecil County Raceway!!!
Posts: 8,469
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JL ws-6 View Post
Couple round bar pieces to a flat tab that runs alotn the bottom, trim the "flap" that used to go up to the stock bumper support, and it should be nice and solid.

Pretty cool trick, making the whole nose come off as one piece like that. I assume, that you can get away with that for classes that say "no one piece front ends", because it's made from the stock body panels correct?
its not a one-piece front end...its simply factory stuff mounted a bit different...
Fireball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 10:59 AM   #16
Race your car!
iTrader: (49)
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 15,149
Default

Right Damn near the closest thing you can get though
JL ws-6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 11:16 AM   #17
TECH Resident
iTrader: (12)
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Lewisville, TX
Posts: 956
Default

Looking forward to your progress and finished product. VERY cool idea, but what is the advantage to making it removable? On a tube chassis I can see access to everything, but on a stock type chassis won't it still be enclosed by the strut towers? Are you only looking for a ton of room up front for turbos, piping, fuel cell, etc.?
ulakovic22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 11:21 AM   #18
TECH Senior Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (21)
 
Fireball's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Cecil County Raceway!!!
Posts: 8,469
Default

more room and reduced weight
Fireball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 12:18 PM   #19
12 Second Club
iTrader: (28)
 
trigger1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Toledo, Oh
Posts: 652
Default

Interesting idea.
trigger1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 01:13 PM   #20
TECH Senior Member
iTrader: (24)
 
Reject's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Texas
Posts: 9,193
Default

I'll admit I'm interested!!
Reject is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Rollcage pretty much complete...pics Fireball Drag Racing Tech 32 06-30-2011 02:35 PM
SFI 25.3 rollcage (6.50 cert), Overbeek Rear Prostock Wing and Dual chutes finished Fireball Drag Racing Tech 56 10-30-2010 08:39 AM
Painted my 25.5 cage Fireball Drag Racing Tech 31 01-14-2008 02:08 PM
Made alot of progress on my GT47 setup...pics within Fireball Forced Induction 34 06-20-2007 07:22 AM
Custom Forward Facing headers done Fireball Forced Induction 23 02-06-2007 12:59 AM


Tags
1999, camaro, clip, drag, end, firebird, front, frontend, make, making, peice, piece, removable, removalble, s10, trans

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:19 PM.