Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trap speeds of an auto vs 6 speed on higher horsepower motors

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2010, 08:34 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Trap speeds of an auto vs 6 speed on higher horsepower motors

It seems that in the 400 rwhp range a 6 speed car will trap at a higher mph than a an automatic car but does this change as the power levels go up. I was thinking in the 500 plus rwhp level. Also on NA car.

I would assume that most people at that level would also have a properly matched torque converter.

I currently have a 6 speed car. Thanks
Old 02-21-2010, 08:52 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The problem with the 6 speeds is they are not geared for drag racing. A properly geared and setup stick car will always be faster than an automatic because there is no converter slippage. I have proven this time and time again in several different cars. Others may have different opinions ,but the info I'm giving you is hands on experience.

To answer your direct question even in higher horespower levels you can always expect the stick to mph higher the challenge is to get the stick car to leave like the automatic car which is tough and most give up too easy.If you can do that you will have a great combo.

Another example take a 500 hp flywheel dynoed motor. Get the same car and put an automatic in it, dyno it,then put a stick in it,dyno it, the stick combo will make more power to the tire everytime.
Old 02-21-2010, 09:14 AM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks. I love your car by the way. I saw it on pinks.

So is this assuming that you don't lift between shifts as well? I was thinking that an automatic stays in the sweet spot for longer periods where as on a stick the rpm goes much lower on each shift. Also, the faster you go the harder it is to make up the time it takes to shift (off power).
Old 02-21-2010, 10:43 AM
TECH Apprentice

what about torque multiplication of the converter off the line.
Old 02-21-2010, 12:28 PM
10 Second Club

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

A 6 speed will MPH faster ,BUT!!!. 80 -90 percent of the time the Automatic will run a faster 1/4 mile elasped time.If you dont believe this statement then go to your local book store and get a copy of the National Dragster.Look in the records section and look up all the auto classes verses stick classes for the same class.Auto is ET faster 80% of the time.
Old 02-21-2010, 02:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Bill00Formula
Thanks. I love your car by the way. I saw it on pinks.

So is this assuming that you don't lift between shifts as well? I was thinking that an automatic stays in the sweet spot for longer periods where as on a stick the rpm goes much lower on each shift. Also, the faster you go the harder it is to make up the time it takes to shift (off power).

Thanks and yes never let off the gas, my car drops very little rpm between shifts probably less than an automatic. The sticks have a variety of gear ratios to choose from to keep your rpms right where you want them.
Old 02-21-2010, 04:19 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by NHRAFORMULA00
A 6 speed will MPH faster ,BUT!!!. 80 -90 percent of the time the Automatic will run a faster 1/4 mile elasped time.If you dont believe this statement then go to your local book store and get a copy of the National Dragster.Look in the records section and look up all the auto classes verses stick classes for the same class.Auto is ET faster 80% of the time.
One thing to look at with the NHRA, or any sanctioning body, is the weight of the cars. The autos get a weight break. If everything is equal and the only difference is the transmission, the stick will win every time.
Old 02-22-2010, 11:40 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sticks cost alot to build. **** my stupid clutch was 1300.
Old 02-23-2010, 09:36 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by TOSTO RACING
The problem with the 6 speeds is they are not geared for drag racing. A properly geared and setup stick car will always be faster than an automatic because there is no converter slippage. I have proven this time and time again in several different cars. Others may have different opinions ,but the info I'm giving you is hands on experience.

To answer your direct question even in higher horespower levels you can always expect the stick to mph higher the challenge is to get the stick car to leave like the automatic car which is tough and most give up too easy.If you can do that you will have a great combo.

Another example take a 500 hp flywheel dynoed motor. Get the same car and put an automatic in it, dyno it,then put a stick in it,dyno it, the stick combo will make more power to the tire everytime.
As much as I hate to admit it cause I have an auto, he is right. NHRAFORMULA00 is also very correct with his quote below. MOST of the time the car with the built auto will ET fast but the MPH will be slower. Also stalled auto's suck to race from a roll, the 6 speed will get you everytime. Props to the guys that can go through the gears and still 10's or faster!!!

Originally Posted by NHRAFORMULA00
Old 03-06-2010, 07:05 PM
TECH Apprentice

like second 2 none said, props to the guys banging gears hitting 10s. I hope to be there this year - 11.07 @ 129mph last year if that says anything.

There are a few things to remember as well:
-high hp stick cars are far less likely to be running radials at the track, or at least it can be said an auto is much more radial friendly. With that said, most cars will tend to lose mph when not running a radial (3mph or so). So what an auto may lose through the converter could be made up with the ability to run a radial on a 600rwhp car.

-It takes time to shift manuals. I'm sure very good drivers bang the gears no problem. I however, use the clutch, but keep the gas at WOT - which means I hear the rev limiter for a split second 3 times per run. I am sure this is lost mph...

-there are a few guys that have actually gained mph when switching from the t56 to a TH400 - most like due to the reason above. There are many, many times I wish I would have gone auto - I never figured my car would do anything better then 12.5s when I bought it, so I didn't take into consideration as to how big of a PITA and expensive the 6 speed would be to go 10s and eventually take a 200 shot....
Old 03-06-2010, 08:23 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The sticks can be faster, but usually aren't unless they are dedicated drag setups. Launching a high powered street car with a regular clutch can be a handful... especially on the street.

A clutchless trans & soft-lok clutch is a mean strip setup, but not real street friendly. Plus keeping it adjusted is beyond what many want to or can keep up with.

Maybe Taner will elaborate on the clutch info.

You can drive a stalled auto on the street rather easily & launch it in poor conditions.

Props to all those that get their street cars down the track in the 8-9 & even 10 sec range. It is an accomplishment.
Old 03-06-2010, 08:53 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by AChotrod
Sticks cost alot to build. **** my stupid clutch was 1300.
Lots of guys go really far on the there stock t56. Alex went 10.3 I'm sure there a lot of others running there stock t56 too. 1.4s all day long on my ram HD. I think they retail like $470? I'm looking to get into the 1.3s this year. 6speed is a better street car too, no 4400+ stall. You can run some gear (wish 1st was better stock t56 ratios) and still crusie at 2K. Lighter, and runs cooler.
Old 03-06-2010, 08:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

The best I've run is a 10.70 at 132.76 on a 1.66 60'. It's a firebird that has a n/a 427 that makes good power and has a race weight of 3600-3650. I weight 265. The air was on a really good that night, low 50s. I have 28" drag radials. There is a few more things I can do, skinnies, electric water pump and a 100mm maf. I do lift on shifts as well but it's a pretty fast shift. My biggest driving issue is the launch.

I see a few n/a f-body automatic cars on this site that run 138 that can not have that much more power than me. I don't see how my car could ever do that.

Here's a video someone took of the GT500 that I was racing. I'm in the other lane. I lost but enjoyed the race.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ErbDt...layer_embedded
Old 03-06-2010, 09:18 PM
9 Second Club

Unless you're talking about a Liberty transmission I'd say an auto will always beat the manual down the track given equal crank HP if the torque converter is properly matches to the car. Now MPH is a different animal. But there's a lot of IF's going on here.
1. If the manual car has an excellent driver
2. If the manual tranny can handle the power being put down. 1000RWHP 1100RWHP 2000RWHP etc.
3. If the shock of the clutch dump doesn't snap the output shaft of the tranny or the driveshaft or the rear end
4. If the tires don't break loose from the shock of the launch etc.

My torque converter absorbs a lot of shock on the launch. I also couldn't keep the turbos completely spooled 100 percent of the time with the 6-speed. With the auto the boost never drops even for an instant.

Quick Reply: Trap speeds of an auto vs 6 speed on higher horsepower motors