Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

drag slick info

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2010, 11:25 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default drag slick info

im chasing some general info on drag slicks. what effect does a taller drag slick have compared to a shorter height slick ?
Old 05-17-2010, 08:41 AM
6 & 8 Second Club

More contact patch, more sidewall to absorb the shock on big power cars, lower the rpm at the stripe, allows bigger gear gaining multiplication.
Lose a little multiplication, but it allows a bigger gear, so it's a wash.

Old 05-17-2010, 08:44 AM
Internet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Very general questions get very general answer.

Taller Bias-Ply Slick allow for more side wall which in turn as more "Give" when compared to a short walled Bias Ply.

A bi-product of a taller sidewall will also most times allow for a larger contact patch too, but then the width of rim and tire will dictate what tire choices you have avalible.

Having a Taller tire does knock down the final over all ratio (1st gear x rear gear ratio) but gives more Engine RPM per gear.

Every car, and every set up will dictate different tire choices and what works on 98% may not work on yours. You will have to research.
Old 05-17-2010, 09:28 AM
Teching In

ok thanks guys. the reason im asking is because i want to upgrade from 3.7 diff gears to 4.11's. but then i will be running into the problem of hitting the limiter before i cross the line. so would it be rite in me saying that if i also change from a 26" tall slick to a 28" tall slick i can rectify (possibly) the problem of hitting the limiter. This is abit of a general conclusion and im guessing there is abit more math involved behind this theory. but am i on the rite track ?

thanks
Old 05-17-2010, 09:52 AM
FormerVendor

Along with killing some rpm through the lights, a taller tire has the "potential" to be more consistent on less forgiving surfaces. More sidewall will take some of the shock and help from knocking the tire off at the hit... more contact patch per revolution can help 60' #'s(if you have the power to throw at it).
Old 05-17-2010, 09:53 AM
FormerVendor

Mr. D AND Screamin' TREE'd me!!!
Old 05-17-2010, 10:40 AM
Internet Mechanic

Originally Posted by Sales_at_Vengeance
Mr. D AND Screamin' TREE'd me!!!
Yea, I had a phone call I had to take before I even hit reply. I WAS SLEEPING!!!
Old 05-17-2010, 10:52 AM
Internet Mechanic

Originally Posted by xrcuta
ok thanks guys. the reason im asking is because i want to upgrade from 3.7 diff gears to 4.11's. but then i will be running into the problem of hitting the limiter before i cross the line. so would it be rite in me saying that if i also change from a 26" tall slick to a 28" tall slick i can rectify (possibly) the problem of hitting the limiter. This is abit of a general conclusion and im guessing there is abit more math involved behind this theory. but am i on the rite track ?

thanks

Either you will increase RPM by extending the limiter out (which may not be feasible to you) or increasing tire height. Changing rear gear to a numerically lower # helps increase RPM but at the hinderence of your 60'. Doing what your doing will help. BUT your increase tire size and rear gear, its probably a wash.

What you need to research is Torque Multiplaction: This is a good link to research, its for Integras but the info is sound.

http://www.team-integra.net/sections...?ArticleID=708

Run a gear calculator (in the rear gear section). Compare your 1st gear on a 26" and a 28" tall tire and also factor in the gear change.

IF the issue is RPM, you will get more by going up but may wash out due to the over all ratio not really changing, or the 60 becomes worse and the extra RPM wont help on the back half of the track.

What transmission do you have??
Old 05-17-2010, 09:38 PM
6 & 8 Second Club

My rule of thumb has always been the biggest slick that fits 1st.
Then you gear to your preference.
You get the biggest contact patch, and the maximum multiplication.

Quick Reply: drag slick info