Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Damn suspension!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2010, 12:13 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Damn suspension!!!!

Took the car out on the street and made the first 5k launch off the 2 step to see if the new rear tires hooked and didnt rub. Well they didnt hook and rubbed the top of the 1/4 panel taking a little paint with them Thank god you cant see it without looking. So a little touch up will fix it. I also must have the fronts messed up to because they hit the fender liners pretty good.
Car has 28x11.5-15 QTPs
Comp 3 ways out back
Hotchkis 1" drop springs
UMI drag bar, LCAs PHB
Dana S60.
Fronts are 26" ET fronts
Strange DAs with 300# springs( prob is no adjustment instructions came with them. Thought I had them set pretty good but I guess not.

So guys running those front shocks and pulling the tires how do you have them set so they dont Hit???

As for the rear If I narrowed it 1" per side it would be fine, but dont have the time or cash for that right now. So what should I do??
Can I raise the rear by adjusting the drag bar? Should I throw the stock springs back in, I forget which is the hardest rear setting on the 3ways but do you think that would help??? Trying to make the LTXshootout on the 4th but need this squared away first.
Thanks
Old 08-24-2010, 12:19 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The car shouldnt squat when you launch it. The shocks arent going to stop that. Do you have relocation brackets on the rearend and what angle are the lcas running?

The front just tighten the compression all the way up.

225-343-9029
Old 08-24-2010, 01:11 PM
11 Second Club

Thanks for the reply Madman I was hoping you would. I dont want the rear to squat at all but can i completely stop that without an anti roll bar??My class doesnt allow them and its a street car so I went with the UMI drag bar.
Yes the car has relocation brackets and they angle down towards the rear which I thought was correct?? In the stock location they were higher in the rear than the front.
Heres a pic of how the car sits, tires didnt rub the rocker or rear bumper just the top of the wheel well. There was at least a 1" clearance so the car must be squatting.
For the front shocks which **** is compression the metal or plastic one. Ive gottin conflicting answers and like I said no instructions came with.
Old 08-24-2010, 01:18 PM
11 Second Club

Heres the best pic of the rear suspension I have. Hope it helps
Old 08-24-2010, 02:00 PM
Internet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Another thing to mention as much as it is nice to get an idea if the suspension is working. On the street, your not going to have the prep or the heat in it to really know how it is going to react at the track.

I have the same drag bar, and with the same mods basically you had I installed QA1 R series in the fronts and 10 ways in the back. Going to the track in Sept/Oct and hopefully have results.

My issue 2 years ago was bouncing the body off the rear on a full off the limiter hit but due to getting married, cash constraints, and blah, blah, blah I finally got all the stuff to make sure I can run correctly.
Old 08-24-2010, 02:02 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Damn those tires are pretty close.. What size are they? My 28x10.5 et drags have plenty of room (like 2-3inches) and don't rub anywhere when I launch. Your car looks sick with that stance but it won't really benefit you with if it's cutting into the slick. I am also rocking the 3-ways in the middle setting.

Old 08-24-2010, 02:05 PM
Internet Mechanic

Originally Posted by 1badzee
Damn those tires are pretty close.. What size are they? My 28x10.5 et drags have plenty of room (like 2-3inches) and don't rub anywhere when I launch. Your car looks sick with that stance but it won't really benefit you with if it's cutting into the slick. I am also rocking the 3-ways in the middle setting.

Have you removed the isolator spring and done the fuel line mod on the top of the spring??

I suspect that 1" drop spring is not helping as far as cutting down the tire, I am not suspension expert but if he put in a regular v8 (non SS or ws.6) spring and do some minor tweaking I better the tire would respond better anywhere.
Old 08-24-2010, 02:12 PM
11 Second Club

Maybe the rear tires are growing as your driving down the track or doing your burnouts etc... ?

Looks like you have the lca's setup correctly and it won't be squatting during the launch, but the tires could be bouncing back up into the wheelwell after the hit. The only way to control that is with a stiffer shock, and/or stiff sidewall slicks.

Mike
Old 08-24-2010, 02:14 PM
Banned

as the man said the rear should not squat on the launch

I run my front DA's at 6 on comp and 0 at all times..street or track. The car is low as you know and I have no bottoming out issues and it drives nice. I have rubbed my upper wheel liners on hard braking, but it is common.

I run SA rear anywhere from 6-8 and the new Hoosiers are a touch wider whcih a get a very small rub only only harsh bumps when cruising.
Old 08-24-2010, 02:15 PM
9 Second Club

I would like to know this as well. Nice looking car by the way.
Old 08-24-2010, 02:18 PM
11 Second Club

Its not the tire Im worried about its the paint and the 1/4 panels I care about. The fenders are rolled but seems the tires stick out just far enough to hit.
Im not testing it on the track without a street hit. It would hit way harder at the track and cause more damage IMO. So Once it stops on the street Ill hit the track.
Tire size is posted in the OP 28x11.5 QTPs (they dont make 10.5s) but they are slightly smaller than a 28x10.5 MT ET drag.
Old 08-24-2010, 02:24 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Mikey 97Z M6
Maybe the rear tires are growing as your driving down the track or doing your burnouts etc... ?

Looks like you have the lca's setup correctly and it won't be squatting during the launch, but the tires could be bouncing back up into the wheelwell after the hit. The only way to control that is with a stiffer shock, and/or stiff sidewall slicks.

Mike
I didnt do a burn out havent hit the track with this set up and only launched once hard to test it through 1st and 2nd. Seems like there was more room on the top than sides so I doubt the tire grew enough to rub. Pretty sure its squatting but impossible for me to tell in the car.

On the plus side it hauls ***!! lol

Larry which **** is which???
Old 08-24-2010, 03:37 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by AChotrod
I didnt do a burn out havent hit the track with this set up and only launched once hard to test it through 1st and 2nd. Seems like there was more room on the top than sides so I doubt the tire grew enough to rub. Pretty sure its squatting but impossible for me to tell in the car.
It could be squatting but only after the suspension/tires unload. It's planting the tire so hard that it's compressing the sidewall and then bouncing the wheel back into the wheellwell. Those Comp 3-ways aren't going to do anything to control the hit. They just aren't stiff enough.

Here is a vid of how the Comp 3-ways acted on my clutch car last year. Notice the compressed sidewall and then it bounces back up. This was with 26" ET Streets and leaving at 6k, but if you're tires are closer to the fender, you can see how they'd bounce up and hit the lip. I'd bet money this is what's happening to yours. Give Brian a call at Madman. He'll be happy to get you setup with a shock you need and explain why the Comp's aren't going to work for your 6sp car.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0yqJAuRxs1o

Mike
Old 08-24-2010, 03:46 PM
9 Second Club

Interesting video. How about the Comp Eng 3 on an auto? Or are they just not a good shock to get?
Old 08-24-2010, 04:33 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by 02sleeperz28
Interesting video. How about the Comp Eng 3 on an auto? Or are they just not a good shock to get?
They seem to work great on auto's because they don't shock the tires nearly as hard as a clutch car. Even a trans-braked car doesn't shock them like a high rpm clutch dump.

Mike
Old 08-24-2010, 04:38 PM
Race your car!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

They will work with an auto better then a stick car. They're an adjustable shock, and are better then stock... but if the budget will allow there's better choices.
Old 08-24-2010, 04:51 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by Mikey 97Z M6
They seem to work great on auto's because they don't shock the tires nearly as hard as a clutch car. Even a trans-braked car doesn't shock them like a high rpm clutch dump.

Mike
Thanks
Old 08-24-2010, 04:52 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by JL ws-6
They will work with an auto better then a stick car. They're an adjustable shock, and are better then stock... but if the budget will allow there's better choices.
Sending pm
Old 08-24-2010, 05:10 PM
11 Second Club

The comps were a cheap shock while I worked on the rest of the car. Im also switching to a th350 after the shootout they will prob work better with that. So should I just put the stock springs back in for now or is there another way to stiffen the rear?
Old 08-24-2010, 05:15 PM
Banned

alum know on mine and car in shop says COMP. - / +

Quick Reply: Damn suspension!!!!