Drag Racing Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

At what point do you start thinking about a chute?

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2010, 06:57 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default At what point do you start thinking about a chute?

I know what the rule book states 150 or faster. But at what point do you start thinking about having one on your car? I got to thinking about this when I was almost in the sand trap the other night a few times. Stand on brakes and barely slow down enough to make the turn off. This is on performance street rotors and pads. Going to have drag brakes on the front before to long and I am assuming that is going to make it even worse. Got me thinking what would happen if I started getting brake fade or even worse. How would I slow the car down? So I thought I would bring this topic up to see what some of you guys are doing.
Old 10-15-2010, 08:21 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 03 BUSA
I know what the rule book states 150 or faster. But at what point do you start thinking about having one on your car? I got to thinking about this when I was almost in the sand trap the other night a few times. Stand on brakes and barely slow down enough to make the turn off. This is on performance street rotors and pads. Going to have drag brakes on the front before to long and I am assuming that is going to make it even worse. Got me thinking what would happen if I started getting brake fade or even worse. How would I slow the car down? So I thought I would bring this topic up to see what some of you guys are doing.
let's put it this way-if you can't get stopped at 150 without a chute,you need some seroius brake work. I've actually stopped at 200+ without a chute on several occasions depending on the track. Been 170+ on even the shortest tracks without a chute. At 150-160 the chute should be there as a backup,after that you should be using it.
Old 10-18-2010, 06:16 AM
Race your car!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Busa it sounds like you have air in a brake line or something, you should be able to stop without any problems.

As Shawn said, 150 os the rule, and at 150 it shouldn't really be needed, unless you're racing a 4800 lb car or something nutty like that... which in that case you probably shouldn't be going that fast anyway.
Old 10-18-2010, 07:49 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JL ws-6
, unless you're racing a 4800 lb car or something nutty like that... which in that case you probably shouldn't be going that fast anyway.
unless your like me and super fat
Old 10-18-2010, 08:00 AM
Race your car!

raceweight is raceweight
Old 10-18-2010, 06:53 PM
8 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by 03 BUSA

You have a serious brake issue with your car if you have this much difficulty stopping under 150 MPH.
Old 10-18-2010, 07:51 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by JL ws-6
Busa it sounds like you have air in a brake line or something, you should be able to stop without any problems.

As Shawn said, 150 os the rule, and at 150 it shouldn't really be needed, unless you're racing a 4800 lb car or something nutty like that... which in that case you probably shouldn't be going that fast anyway.
Originally Posted by Firehawk441
You have a serious brake issue with your car if you have this much difficulty stopping under 150 MPH.
It all depends on the length of the shutdown area. You wouldn't be saying these things if you were trapping 150 at the track I run at.

Busa: I think it depends on your comfort level. If you are nervous about getting stopped, it may be worth it to get the chute for peace of mind.
Old 10-18-2010, 09:31 PM
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by zracer323
It all depends on the length of the shutdown area. You wouldn't be saying these things if you were trapping 150 at the track I run at.
How many feet is the shutdown before the sand?
Old 10-18-2010, 10:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

What SAND??? Thats how it is at my local track. ITs pretty scary slowing down from 130, I doubt I will running quarter with my new set-up. Time will tell
Old 10-18-2010, 11:44 PM
TECH Enthusiast

IMO there is not one thing wrong having a chute hanging out the back especially if your car runs around 150 and it makes you feel better with it being there. But at the same time unless you are running a top fuel funny car or faster than 6.50 or so in the quarter your cars braking system should be adequate enough to safely bring your car to a stop at the track in case your chute/s do not deploy properly or at all.
Old 10-19-2010, 02:22 AM
TECH Fanatic

whens the last time you changed your brake fluid? does the car pull or anything?
Old 10-19-2010, 06:24 AM
Race your car!

Originally Posted by zracer323

Busa: I think it depends on your comfort level. If you are nervous about getting stopped, it may be worth it to get the chute for peace of mind.
I dunno man lebannon valley's shutdown is pretty short, I don't know the distance off the top of my head but it's about the shortest shutdown I've run with on a 1/4 mile track. Couple 1.8th mile tracks I've gone down over the years had shorter, but it was only 1/2 the track...

end of lvd, there's no sand either. it's a jersey barrier with dirt behind it.
Old 10-19-2010, 10:34 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by 358chevycamaro
IMO there is not one thing wrong having a chute hanging out the back especially if your car runs around 150 and it makes you feel better with it being there. But at the same time unless you are running a top fuel funny car or faster than 6.50 or so in the quarter your cars braking system should be adequate enough to safely bring your car to a stop at the track in case your chute/s do not deploy properly or at all.

you obviously have never ran that fast...

At my local track...stopping from 165 mph with a failed chute was at the limit of the brakes...barely got it stopped. Far from 6.50s
Old 10-19-2010, 05:39 PM
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by Fireball

At my local track...stopping from 165 mph with a failed chute was at the limit of the brakes...barely got it stopped. Far from 6.50s
Cecil?
I had some trouble @ 160 mph there. Lesson learned for me...
Old 10-19-2010, 06:32 PM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My car weighs about 3250 raceweight. Trapping 134 you have to try pretty hard to stop at GLD. Gld's shut down is pretty short, but i dont know actual length. I have a strange manual master, strange drag brakes all 4 corners, all new brake fluid, no air anywhere. I have not tried it yet, but when i trap 150 i definatly think i would prefer to use a chute.
When i am at byron 150 without a chute would be fine.

Chris
Old 10-19-2010, 07:00 PM
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by Sideways240sx
My car weighs about 3250 raceweight. Trapping 134 you have to try pretty hard to stop at GLD. Gld's shut down is pretty short, but i dont know actual length. I have a strange manual master, strange drag brakes all 4 corners, all new brake fluid, no air anywhere. I have not tried it yet, but when i trap 150 i definatly think i would prefer to use a chute.
When i am at byron 150 without a chute would be fine.

Chris
My car traps a bit higher than that with the same Strange drag brakes and I am much more comfortable getting it stopped at GLD then Byron but like Byron a million times better.
Old 10-19-2010, 08:43 PM
9 Second Club

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts

To be honest we have not run those speeds at Byron yet and I have never been down to the second turnoff either. But in general we perfer Byron over GLD. At 134 on GLD I was able to make the second trun off comfortably, but as the speed goes up (when we turn up the power next year) I wont feel bad knowing I have a chute to pull. I am guessing that most of the time we will use just the brakes, but if we need it its there.

Sean
Old 10-20-2010, 02:24 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Fireball

Ignore that 6.50! LOL My fat fingers on this phone hit the wrong damn button!!

At the local quarter mile track around here you see 150 mph cars stop safely on the brakes but that's here. There are a lot of things that go in to when you should have one and I think most will agree every circumstance isn't the same for the following reasons. Car weight, car speed, how capable your brake system is, and the big thing that varies is your local tracks shutdown area.

There is a huge difference between these NHRA tracks that are ~4000' and some of these tracks that I've been to that seem to give you a 100 yards to stop. lol