Drag Racing Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

S&W cage, anyone have one installed?

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2010, 05:49 PM
12 Second Club

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Default S&W cage, anyone have one installed?

Anyone have one of these installed? Pics? How was/is the fitment? Would you buy another? I'm looking at their ten point cage.
Old 11-15-2010, 02:35 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes, I put one in my car. I like it very much. It fit very well. Nothing more then the usual trimming and fishing, but I did make a few tweaks. I didn't put in the dash bar, because I have the bars bent around the dash, and leg room could be an issue. I think the STB and my cross brace for my torque arm is enough. Also, I ran my rear bars all the way back, added a rear cross bar, and tied it into the rear shocks. I also reversed the triangle bars in the hoop (just seemed better for side impacts) and put bends in the Halo for a bit more helmet room with my aftermarket seats. The last tweak I made was to bend the door bars around the factory door panel arm rests. Let me know if you have any questions

Old 11-15-2010, 09:08 AM
On The Tree

What's the difference in safety and strength of the ews tubing and Dom will both pass tech or only Dom cause the ews is 200 cheaper if it's jus as strong then I can save 200 but I don't want be cheap if it's not goin to hold up to an impact Which also I hope never happens but jus wondering before I buy either one
Old 11-15-2010, 07:29 PM
On The Tree

where did u buy that s and w cage from ?
Old 11-15-2010, 08:12 PM
12 Second Club

Google S&W racecars and their site should come up.

I believe DOM tubing is required by NHRA.
Old 11-15-2010, 11:15 PM
On The Tree

Ya I have DOM because I didn't want to play the money for chrome moly. I know DOM and Moly pass NHRA tech. I would stay with one of those 2.
Old 11-16-2010, 04:27 AM
10 Second Club

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I've got an S&W 8pt, no complaints. Fits good but does require some trimming as all "kits" will.
Old 11-16-2010, 05:43 AM
Teching In

DOM is a tighter toleranced and mandrel drawn tube vs. ERW which is just rolled and welded. I came upon this a while ago and found it useful. I build all my cages out of DOM, as most of the stuff I build is for a specific class or sanctioning body.

https://www.xxxoffroad.com/index.php...eral&Itemid=46

also found this

ERW tube
Tensile 45
Yield 32
Rockwell RB55

DOM tube
Tensile 80
Yield 70
Rockwell RB80

DOM tube
Tensile 100
Yield 90
Rockwell RB90
Old 11-20-2010, 02:02 AM
'Bird Director

Location: Central Indiana Honors: 4th grade spelling bee contestant
Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

I have one, and would definitely purchase another if needed.
Old 11-20-2010, 11:28 PM
Staging Lane

[QUOTE=ProMaroZ;14121762]Yes, I put one in my car. I like it very much. It fit very well. Nothing more then the usual trimming and fishing, but I did make a few tweaks. I didn't put in the dash bar, because I have the bars bent around the dash, and leg room could be an issue. I think the STB and my cross brace for my torque arm is enough. Also, I ran my rear bars all the way back, added a rear cross bar, and tied it into the rear shocks. I also reversed the triangle bars in the hoop (just seemed better for side impacts) and put bends in the Halo for a bit more helmet room with my aftermarket seats. The last tweak I made was to bend the door bars around the factory door panel arm rests. Let me know if you have any questions

Have you had this car certified? If not are you going to? I am curious to hear what the inspector has to say about those bars being reversed before I do it as the 2010 rule book states that they need to be welded to form fitted plates that are welded to the driveshaft tunnel. I thought of this too because you can just notch both ends of the pipe and weld and not fight the plates but I need mine to pass a chassis cert
Thanks

Last edited by Doughboy692; 11-20-2010 at 11:33 PM. Reason: Removed pictures and added to post
Old 11-21-2010, 02:40 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

after installing an s&w cage bought a bender and started making them myself.... horrible fit and quality.... if your looking at getting a kit, burkhart would be my reccomendation
The following users liked this post:
67RSCamaroVette (03-29-2020)
Old 11-21-2010, 04:38 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by ss496
after installing an s&w cage bought a bender and started making them myself.... horrible fit and quality.... if your looking at getting a kit, burkhart would be my reccomendation
thanks for the input.

I think i found one, it's a MIA one i think. full chromoly and jig notched for 775 shipped for the t-top car and Wolfe for the vert.
Old 01-30-2012, 02:16 AM
On The Tree

[QUOTE=Doughboy692;14145432]
Originally Posted by ProMaroZ
Yes, I put one in my car. I like it very much. It fit very well. Nothing more then the usual trimming and fishing, but I did make a few tweaks. I didn't put in the dash bar, because I have the bars bent around the dash, and leg room could be an issue. I think the STB and my cross brace for my torque arm is enough. Also, I ran my rear bars all the way back, added a rear cross bar, and tied it into the rear shocks. I also reversed the triangle bars in the hoop (just seemed better for side impacts) and put bends in the Halo for a bit more helmet room with my aftermarket seats. The last tweak I made was to bend the door bars around the factory door panel arm rests. Let me know if you have any questions

Have you had this car certified? If not are you going to? I am curious to hear what the inspector has to say about those bars being reversed before I do it as the 2010 rule book states that they need to be welded to form fitted plates that are welded to the driveshaft tunnel. I thought of this too because you can just notch both ends of the pipe and weld and not fight the plates but I need mine to pass a chassis cert
Thanks
No I have not had it certified. I got the idea from a friend of ours that raced local circle track stuff like, modifieds and trucks. I did tie them into the form fitted plats at the bottom of the hoop though. Reversing the bars just seemed like it would take a side impact better. G/L with your decision.
Old 02-02-2012, 11:09 AM
TECH Regular

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

i bought an 8 point cromoly from them. my buddy & i did it ourselves. other than a little fitting here or there, i am very pleased with the way it turned out. i would definetly recommend their products.
Old 02-02-2012, 01:33 PM
Teching In

I bought the MIA kit. Fit is fantastic. The only trimming we had to do was on the window bar and the dash bar. We did add a few bars in the rear on our own, but that is just in case I decide to do something stupid like throw a Jerico at it down the road.

I plan to start a thread in about 2 months with complete finished pics of the cage. You can't beat the kit for the price.

Old 02-20-2012, 04:46 PM
12 Second Club

Damn thanks for the pics LNorton.

I forgot about this thread. I still haven't pulled the trigger yet. I have changed my mind three times on what I want to do with the car.
Old 02-21-2012, 06:17 PM
TECH Veteran

Not the same platform, but i just ordered a 10 point from S&W for my New Edge mustang, talked to them today, ordered last week, and they said it should be here by the end of next week.

If anyone is thinking of ordering, from what they told me, from the time of order, it usually takes 1.5-2 weeks for it to ship from their facility, so plan accordingly.

Quick Reply: S&W cage, anyone have one installed?