Drag Racing Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

If turbos are more efficient and make more power than a sc'er.....then.....???

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2012, 12:38 PM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Default If turbos are more efficient and make more power than a sc'er.....then.....???

Why don't Top Fuel dragsters and Funny Cars use turbos instead of sc'ers......

Just curious..........

Old 03-25-2012, 01:11 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Lol, Im surprised someone thats been here as long as you is even asking this, are you just trolling?

The NHRA has very specific rules for TF, and a 14-71 is all thats allowed. Gale Banks did a Turbo Top Fueler in the 80s, but experienced issues with the drivetrain; I think he was running a Lenco. Theres no reason to try a Nitro Turbo combo because it wouldnt be allowed. Dont be surprised when the ADRL P/X guys start trying out nitro in a turbo car because theres more and more guys in Pro Xtreme that running turbos. Theres guys that currently do or have used turbos in the past on Top Fuel hydros. People used to think that mech injection wouldnt work with turbos, but Frankie Taylor has proven that wrong this year, as he is running a turbo with mech injection. The blowers that Top Fuel uses "only" flow around 3500-3800cfm or so IIRC. That can easily be accomplished with some big twin turbos nowadays. Without the nitro, I imagine a top fueler would make around 2500 to 3000hp, theres plenty of turbo cars that have surpassed that by quite a bit. Contrary to popular belief, nitro actually burns fairly cool. The problem is there is 8000hp of nitro/air coming out of the exhaust, which would require a big hotside. It is not impossible though, and if someone could tune it right a turbo T/F would make alot more power than the current ones, no doubt. Its just that not very many people have tried and theres no real reason to. If they made it legal though, I dont doubt that it could definitely work.

And yes, turbos do make more power when similarly sized on similar boost. Its basic science, superchargers are driven off the crank and sap away a relatively large amount of power. Turbos are driven off the exhaust and dont have nearly the same amount of parasitic losses.

The NHRA just doesnt want to see advances and would rather stay with 50 year old technology. Ala making Pro Stock stay with carbs.
Old 03-25-2012, 02:19 PM
Banned

lol.....trolling.....no....

I just don't know anything really about the drag racing world......mainly because I'm not interested at all in 1/4 mile racing as I think its actually a bore. But I am about to start my GT55 408ci iron block build and I'm learning more and more about turbos and their capabilities.....goal is 1,200 RWHP through my 4L80E. We will easily do it.

So really then, to answer my question.....it boils down to NHRA rules, not capabilities of the turbos to make the same or more power......thats what I was wondering.

Seems like someone should start a new drag racing organization without that rule.....bye-bye NHRA........so the 1/4 mile drag world and the T/F guys can get out of the stone age and make some real sick machines.

Thanks.

Old 03-25-2012, 02:45 PM
6 & 8 Second Club

The fuel class's have been around for 50+ years now, and they have done pretty well with the blown & injected combinations.
There is not enough money in our world for anyone with a brain to even attempt a new class or series just for turbo's nitro combination.
Now I would love to see some rich guy do it, and I will be the 1st in line to get in!!
Hell, we can barely get enough cars for the class' we have, plus the payouts suck,
so I wouldn't expect anyone to do anything but try it for ****'s & giggles, if at all??
Plus how many qualified guys are just walking around with 10 million in their pocket to even attempt a project like this??

It would be frigging awesome, that's for sure, but I'm way too old to ever hope to see it happen??

Now, if someone has a bunch of money to throw around, I have an injected alcohol ProCharger car sitting in my shop.
For the right guy, I would gladly offer it up for testing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Now is the perfect time, I'm getting new pistons, so it's all set to get the proper compression needed!!
All we need is the qualified tuner and a big fat check to JBL and Son Dragracing!!

Old 03-25-2012, 04:32 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Turbos on a TF car would confuse Paul Page even more!
Old 03-25-2012, 04:48 PM

It all boils down to politics of NHRA. But if anyone ever watches a TF car make a pass you would swear there is no way to go any faster than that. They are truely amazing.
Old 03-25-2012, 05:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by underacheiver
It all boils down to politics of NHRA. But if anyone ever watches a TF car make a pass you would swear there is no way to go any faster than that. They are truely amazing.
They are amazing for sure but I just hate the oil downs! It never used to bother me all to much but the last couple of years at nationals here were starting to get to me as a spectator. Sorry for the little rant back on topic lol.
Old 03-25-2012, 08:50 PM
6 & 8 Second Club

You must be young!!
In the last 10 years it has gotten 1000 times better.
Fines & penalties has really helped, plus the modern technology in diapers.
Hell in the old days every other damn pass was an explosion and giant fire!!

Old 03-25-2012, 10:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Agreed. It has gotten A LOT better, which is a great thing. The Nitro cars are so fast now, NHRA is really there to keep things under control as much as possible. How much faster than 325 MPH do you need to go in 1,000 feet?

Speaking strictly as a spectator, the Nitro cars are a RUSH to watch in person!
Old 03-25-2012, 10:13 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by 94Z28rag
How much faster than 325 MPH do you need to go in 1,000 feet?
Beat me to it.
Old 03-25-2012, 10:30 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Gary Z
Beat me to it.
lol too fast is just fast enough
Old 03-26-2012, 07:16 AM
Internet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mrdragster1970

The fuel class's have been around for 50+ years now, and they have done pretty well with the blown & injected combinations.
There is not enough money in our world for anyone with a brain to even attempt a new class or series just for turbo's nitro combination.
Now I would love to see some rich guy do it, and I will be the 1st in line to get in!!
Hell, we can barely get enough cars for the class' we have, plus the payouts suck,
so I wouldn't expect anyone to do anything but try it for ****'s & giggles, if at all??
Plus how many qualified guys are just walking around with 10 million in their pocket to even attempt a project like this??

It would be frigging awesome, that's for sure, but I'm way too old to ever hope to see it happen??

Now, if someone has a bunch of money to throw around, I have an injected alcohol ProCharger car sitting in my shop.
For the right guy, I would gladly offer it up for testing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Now is the perfect time, I'm getting new pistons, so it's all set to get the proper compression needed!!
All we need is the qualified tuner and a big fat check to JBL and Son Dragracing!!

Nailed it on the head.

Hell you have times that you can't even get a good LSx racing going due to tons of reasons.

Can one do it? I would think so, does someone want to blow money to find out. Not likely.
Old 03-30-2012, 05:39 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

lets try to break the sound barrier in 1000 ft, shall we?
Old 03-30-2012, 12:38 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by brian_rs/ss
lets try to break the sound barrier in 1000 ft, shall we?
its not like a car hasnt gone 750+mph...
Old 03-30-2012, 03:53 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Wnts2Go10O
its not like a car hasnt gone 750+mph...
oh i know, i was actually being kinda serious...
Old 03-30-2012, 06:29 PM
9 Second Club

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Top fuel already makes more power than they can use. Making more power than what they have now is kind of pointless. I doubt there are any current turbo's that will hold up to the violent nature of nitro.
Old 03-30-2012, 06:44 PM
TECH Resident

Exactly where does it say Turbos make more power in a top fuel engine? Try to imagine burning Nitro going into a turbo

Al 95 Z28
Old 03-30-2012, 08:57 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Big Al
Exactly where does it say Turbos make more power in a top fuel engine? Try to imagine burning Nitro going into a turbo

Al 95 Z28
"Nitromethane has a laminar combustion velocity of approx. 0.5 m/s, somewhat higher than gasoline, thus making it suitable for high speed engines. It also has a somewhat higher flame temperature of about 2,400 °C (4,350 °F). The high heat of vaporization of 0.56 MJ/kg together with the high fuel flow provides significant cooling of the incoming charge (about twice that of methanol), resulting in reasonably low temperatures"

so not sure exactly what this means for a turbo application but i don't think it would be impossible. i mean pretty much everything on a top fuel motor has to be special made for that application anyways, so a turbo would be no exception. i think the biggest hurdle would be the extreme RPM and pressures associated with these motors.
Old 03-30-2012, 09:52 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

great read as always. this question gets asked every once in a while and i always learn something new.
Old 03-31-2012, 07:37 AM
6 & 8 Second Club

Didn't think of the exhaust issue??
I wonder what would happen to a standard turbo with that much pressure, heat, going through??

Nitro engines are low RPM so I wonder if moving the turbos back would help them survive??
It's not like you would need them right on top of the engine to get the force needed to spin them??
They do need a lot of air, so the expert engineers would have to calculate that part.

Quick Reply: If turbos are more efficient and make more power than a sc'er.....then.....???