Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Times + A Problem..

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2004, 09:15 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Times + A Problem..

Finally took my car to the track on sunday... and am very disapointed with the results.

Best time of the day was as fallows:

60' 2.24
1/8th 8.72 @ 84.35 mph
1/4th 13.32 @ 106.02 MPH

Now these would be decent times if I was stock.. but I am not, Mods are as fallows.
2000 SS
SLP LT Headers
2.5" True Duals
LID, Bellows
Ported + Descreened MAF, Ported TB
Removed all emissions equip, AIR and EGR

Car dyno'ed just over 333 at the wheels before the ported TB and ported MAF...

The car seemed to run fine on my first run, I cut the best 60' of the day on my Nitto drag radials of a 2.1 but the car still only ran a 13.4 @ 105
I know my 60' sux for drag radials, but I was unable to heat them up without a linelock and I had some wheel hop issues coming off the line, but my trap I know should have been considerably higher.
After the first 2 or three runs I had a slight misfire problem.. I could sit and hold the rpms on 3k and hear a slight popping and or thud coming from my exhaust, when I'd let off the gas car would idle extremely low and sound like it had a misfire at idle. I let the car cool down for 30 minutes and ran again, car didn't have the misfire sound but it still only ran a 13.4 @ 105 again.

I should be trapping close to 110 and running high 12's in my car with a decent launch.. but I do no know what the problem is.

Is it possible the ported MAF has my car running 5mph slower then it should be?

Also, on my good runs when I would hit 4th gear right at the end of the quarter mile my car would bog... and not accelerate at all it seemed which is probaly what hurt my trap speed the most on the decent runs....

Any help or suggestions are appreciated... plugs and wires are fine, and I had no idea there was a problem until I went to the track ...

Thanks
Old 03-30-2004, 10:15 AM
Motorboater

did you autotap it?

i suppose its possible the maf is leaning the car out so much that you are not getting enough fuel, but i've never seen that happen with a bolt on only car..maybe someone else has that can chime in?

If the car is an M6 then yes that trap speed is very low, less than stock even. Between that and what you are describing when you grab 4th there is a def problem/loss of power somewhere.

You need to start with the basics for this one..check fuel and check spark. Because of what you said it did when you tached it to 3K it sounds like a problem with spark..
Old 03-30-2004, 11:29 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by SilverGhost
did you autotap it?

i suppose its possible the maf is leaning the car out so much that you are not getting enough fuel, but i've never seen that happen with a bolt on only car..maybe someone else has that can chime in?

If the car is an M6 then yes that trap speed is very low, less than stock even. Between that and what you are describing when you grab 4th there is a def problem/loss of power somewhere.

You need to start with the basics for this one..check fuel and check spark. Because of what you said it did when you tached it to 3K it sounds like a problem with spark..
Also.. when the car was missing it was missing at idle and anything under 4 grand...

I know I had an 02 sensor go back a while ago, but I fixed it.. and car ran perfect... an 02 sensor couldn't be leaving 5 mph of trap speed under the table could it?
Old 03-30-2004, 12:14 PM
Banned

Just took a look at my MAF...

I suspose that is bad? Just finished cleaning it a bit ago.

Build up that bad cause a false reading?.. and cause any sort of a stutter or loss of power?

this is racking my brain.. I want my HP back

Last edited by ThackerSS; 03-30-2004 at 01:11 PM.
Old 03-30-2004, 05:39 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thacker, want me to post the vid so that everyone can hear and watch the car for themselves? I would be glad to do it for ya
Old 03-30-2004, 05:47 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by dudas35
Thacker, want me to post the vid so that everyone can hear and watch the car for themselves? I would be glad to do it for ya

Ahh Dudas.. always willing to help.

FYI dudas.. first run when my dad left so high and spun was because the car was cutting out at anything under 3grand... so he left about 4500. Second video with me driving was with the car cutting out horridly.. thats why you couldn't even hear the exhaust in the video until I bogged the launch because of the stuttering and then it finally picked up and went.

Point is even on the runs we cut decent 60's and had nice runs.. car still wouldn't trap over 105- 106...
Old 03-30-2004, 05:53 PM
Launching!

You probably need to dump the ported maf and go back to the stock one if you still have it. Those things are hit or miss and it sounds like yours was a miss.
You are right you should have been able to get better trap speeds, sounds like you need to get your car tuned.
Old 03-30-2004, 06:15 PM
Banned

You probably need to dump the ported maf and go back to the stock one if you still have it. Those things are hit or miss and it sounds like yours was a miss.
You are right you should have been able to get better trap speeds, sounds like you need to get your car tuned.

I was really hoping to wait on a cam and Ls6 intake before I dumped the money into a tune.. maybe going back to the stock MAF will make my car happy for the time being...
Old 03-30-2004, 06:24 PM
TECH Enthusiast

When you dynoed 333 RWHP did you get the A/F ratio with the chart? if so what was the A/F ratio? Unless you was running rich, the ported maf & TB would hurt HP by leaning it out too much. You should want an A/F of 12.6:1 to 13.0:1 or very close for best results.

How old are the plugs?

I just had mine dynoed last weekend & the A/F ratio was 13.0:1. 12.6-13 would be pretty good, Fred
Old 03-30-2004, 06:34 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Fred99LS1
When you dynoed 333 RWHP did you get the A/F ratio with the chart? if so what was the A/F ratio? Unless you was running rich, the ported maf & TB would hurt HP by leaning it out too much. You should want an A/F of 12.6:1 to 13.0:1 or very close for best results.

How old are the plugs?

I just had mine dynoed last weekend & the A/F ratio was 13.0:1. 12.6-13 would be pretty good, Fred

The dyno did not have wideband.. and the dyno was also before the ported TB and ported MAF.

Plugs were brand new and installed when the headers went on... checked most all of the plugs and all are in good shape... haven't checked the #8 because basically.. I want that to be a last resort.
Old 03-30-2004, 06:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

In my opinion quit worrying about the ported maf and tb. The little dirt on your maf sensor is not causing any problems. IMO the 333 rwhp is low for the mods you have . As was previously asked, what were the A/F ratios if they were available. Try to auto tap it or borrow a scan master and check your O2 readings and also see if you are getting KR. My .02
Old 03-31-2004, 04:18 AM
Launching!

I have got to go to the Dyno on Saturday to get mine wideband tested. Its $50 for 3 pulls in Peachtree City on saturdays.
Old 03-31-2004, 06:56 AM
Banned

I have got to go to the Dyno on Saturday to get mine wideband tested. Its $50 for 3 pulls in Peachtree City on saturdays.

I've been there both times for my Dyno..I live about 10 minutes away frm there. They do not have a wideband.

Atleast the last 2 times I have went they did not.
Old 03-31-2004, 09:53 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by NastySSoo
In my opinion quit worrying about the ported maf and tb. The little dirt on your maf sensor is not causing any problems. IMO the 333 rwhp is low for the mods you have . As was previously asked, what were the A/F ratios if they were available. Try to auto tap it or borrow a scan master and check your O2 readings and also see if you are getting KR. My .02

MY A/F ratio can be all screwed up now bro. 333rwhp with my mods was fine compared to most.. show me one with those mods that has done 10hp higher on a 2000 car without Ls6 intake?

Basically.. if my car was making 333+rwhp at the track, my trap speed would not be 106, Period. Something I have done since then has to be causing the problem.. and I suspect it to be the MAF.