Drag Racing Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What the ideal rpm that a car should be passing the traps?

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2004, 12:52 PM
9 Second Club NA

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default What the ideal rpm that a car should be passing the traps?

This may or may not be true, but Ive been told that you want to pass them about 100-200 rpms above your hp peak. True? False?
Old 04-18-2004, 01:15 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i think optimal is at your peak hp
Old 04-18-2004, 01:51 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by BlackBeaSSt
This may or may not be true, but Ive been told that you want to pass them about 100-200 rpms above your hp peak. True? False?
True...AT LEAST 100-200 above your HP peak. How far beyond the HP peak depends largely on how quickly the HP drops of after the peak. This will be effected by a variety of things, not the least of which is the LSA of the cam.

For instance...

With the setup in my '02 my power carries very well after the 5900 RPM HP peak. So well, in fact, that my shift points are ~6600-6700. For absolute quickest ETs I would want to cross the line at about that RPM as well.
Old 04-18-2004, 03:02 PM
TECH Addict

Redline.
Old 04-18-2004, 03:46 PM
9 Second Club NA

According to my dyno graph, it peaked around 6400/6500 however, it dropped off at 6600 because thats where the rev limiter was set at the time. Now the rev limiter is set at 6700. By the way, that was with the 6 speed set up. I havent gotten it dynoed with the auto. Should that make any difference?

Originally Posted by Colonel
For absolute quickest ETs I would want to cross the line at about that RPM as well.
Which RPM are you referring to?

How can I figure/calculate what size gear I need in order to get the car to pass the traps where it should be? Thanks.
Old 04-18-2004, 05:26 PM
TECH Senior Member

"So well, in fact, that my shift points are ~6600-6700. For absolute quickest ETs I would want to cross the line at about that RPM as well."

Crossing the line at the perfect RPM is not going to make that much difference. I said I should cross the line at about 6700 for best results but yet I cross at only about 5360. What would my 11.20 have been if I'd crossed at 6700? Probably a 11.15.

There are many gear calculators online. I use this one... http://www.richmondgear.com/101032.html
Old 04-18-2004, 05:28 PM
TECH Senior Member

...So, unless you're into some seriously competitive racing, don't let getting the gearing perfect be a major concern.
Old 04-18-2004, 06:21 PM
9 Second Club NA

Well, its all about combination and from my current track results, I just dont think I have the best combo. When I first got the auto. in, I hope just to break into the 11s and my very first run was an 11.6. I was very shocked, but as time when on, as I talked to more and more people, and I look at a lot of others times and set ups, I think my times should be better. I want to go with a bigger tire, more gear, bigger cam, and a different converter, but I dont know which ones to get. Its either 3.73 or 4.10, and since there isnt much choices for 27" tall tires, I was thinking of just going with a 28", but dont really know what width and if I should stick with ET Streets or opt to the Drags. I know the Streets have tread and are DOT approved, but does it hook any less than the Drag? (if you were to compare them in the exact same sizes) Whats really killing me is my 60 ft. but Ive played and played with what I have and no improvements. The only thing I think I can do is go bigger tires, but then that would lessen my gear. I just want to get the right combo with my car because as of right now, Im not too happy with it.
Old 04-18-2004, 10:44 PM
TECH Senior Member

Haven't you been talking about running nitrous in another thread? If so, I don't know why in the world you would even be considering 4.10 gears. Also, you say that traction is a problem for you but yet...you're considering more gear and more converter.

One problem at a time my friend. You're NOT getting the most out of your current combo.

And yes, Drags will hook better than Streets.

I don't know what you're expecting but you have a solid 1.5 60ft converter (1.4 even) and a really solid cam...changing these two isn't going to net you much. And changing your gearing isn't going to help you much either. Pulling some weight from the car and LEARNING TO HOOK will do wonders for you ETs. Adding a good set of heads might not be a bad idea either.
Old 04-18-2004, 11:41 PM
9 Second Club NA

Ive been talking a lot about nitrous, but I dont know when I plan to buy it. I know that its in my future mods though.

Why am I considering 4.10s, why not is the question I want to know? Is it going to be too much gear if I ever did put gas on the car. If it is, I figured I could make up for it with more tire.

I am having some traction problems, and yes I am considering more gear because Id like to pass the traps closer to my hp peak and to get me out of the hole quicker/get me down the track faster.

The only reason why Im throwing nitrous into the scenerio is because I want to maybe plan or set up for it so that Im not making more changes when I do decide to put nitrous on. I may or may not, but I at least want to know where I want to go with it. If I do it, I would say the most I would spray is a 150 shot. Heads will more than likely come before the nitrous, however, heads will be down the road as well because I cant afford them right now.

You would know more than I would, but my guess is that the converter really isnt a solid 1.5 60 ft., but thats just my opinion. You even had in parenthasis 1.4 60 ft., which I REALLY doubt because youre running the same converter with a slight gearing advantage and heads and youre pulling mid 1.5s.

You also say its a solid cam, but Ive been told from so many people and read as well that the cam Im running is a baby cam compared to whats out there now and that I could go quite a bit more extreme.

About my weight...I know its not the lightest, but I would say its pretty good. Its lighter than most and Ive seen too many cars pull better times with almost the same setup and heavier cars which really gets to me. My car weighs just a hair under 3300 lbs. with me in it.

Hooking, yeah...thats a problem for me but I just dont see how it is because I know more extreme setups with more power, faster times, etc. using the same tires or close to it without or minimal problems hooking. Thats why Im thinking of doing a bigger tire. However, if I go with more tire, then thats going to mean that its going to lessen my gear. I dont want to hook too good and bog the motor, take more time to get the car rolling, and then hurt my times even more.

I know that I could pull more weight off the car, but I think Im good for now.

Back to the tires, you said that Drags will hook better than Streets, and does that go for if they are the exact same size? If so, how is that if the only thing to my knowledgs is that it has tread slits in it? Do I need to go to a drag, or just stick with a Street and up the size?

Sorry for all the questions, but I do appreciate all the help so far. I didnt expect to get it all solved in one answer. I know youre thinking, oh no, more questions, but just think...were just that much closer to squaring this away. Thanks.
Old 04-19-2004, 10:59 AM
TECH Senior Member

No, that's just it...you DON'T appreciate my help. You don't listen to a damn thing I (or anyone else) tells you.

Not a 1.5 converter?!?...WTF ever dude. I pulled 1.55 after 1.55 with 3.23 gears and at 3525 freakin' lbs! Don't tell me it's not a 1.5 converter. Fact is, you just don't know what the hell you're doing. You're like a dog chasing his own tail.

NOT a solid cam??? You do realize that people have pulled NA 10.6s with that cam don't you?

Why not go to more gearing? 1. BECAUSE IT WON'T HELP ENOUGH TO JUSTIFY THE COST. 2. BECAUSE IT WILL MAKE YOUR OBVIOUS TRACTION PROBLEM WORSE. 3. BECAUSE IT WILL MAKE YOUR STOCK REAREND A TICKING TIMEBOMB!!!

Here's my best advice...save up for heads and learn to drive in the meantime. Do more LISTENING and less question asking.
Old 04-19-2004, 11:02 AM
TECH Senior Member

And YES, for the last time ET DRAGS WILL, I REPEAT, WILL HOOK BETTER THAN ET STREETS EVEN IF THEY ARE THE SAME EXACT SIZE AND THE MOON IS IN THE EXACT SAME PHASE!!! ...That's why people use them.

Please excuse my frustration. You're giving me ulcers.
Old 04-19-2004, 11:26 AM
TECH Senior Member

i replied in a thread about your 4.10 gears and nitrous. listen and go with advice that people have PROVED works. not what you think might work in virutal world.

that ss4000 is EASILY a low low 1.50 60' convertor when matched with a et street or drag. 1.4 on a light car easily. work on going fast, not impressing idiots with naws talk.
Old 04-19-2004, 11:28 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ET drags have a different compound and are lighter. I ran a 1.57 on ET streets, switched to ET drags (same size) and went 1.50. (With a six speed)

Old 04-19-2004, 11:38 AM
TECH Senior Member

Face it Colonel, he doesn't want answers -- he wants the opportunity to ask more questions... Frustrating for sure...

NVMySS/BlackBeaSSt or whatever $75 stock camshaft name is next ... Follow the man's advice and take it step by step.. Maximize your current combo before changing things around and starting all over.. at sub-3300 lbs. and with your current setup, that car can absolutely FLY !! Just make use of what you have, and THEN think about what parts to bolt on next.
Old 04-19-2004, 04:24 PM
9 Second Club NA

Colonel: I dont know what I said in my previous post to set you off like this, but sorry for the misinterpretation. I do appreciate your help along with others as well. I do listen to the things you say, but I also listen to others as well. I never said that its NOT a 1.5 converter, I just merely stated my opinion based upon my times and set up. I just dont see how I can go from consistent low 1.6s to mid/high 1.5s and possibly lows with the way its sits right now making no changes. I never said you were wrong, that none of your advice is right, that you dont know what youre talking about, etc. I just was throwing my opinion in there. I also clearly said, "you would know more than I would and that its just my opinion." I may not know everything or be the best damn racer out there, but Im learning. No need to criticize, geez! I guess if everyone was a perfect racer, then there would be no threads in the drag racing section. I just thought about changing everything up because I have it stuck in my head that I dont have the right combo. I didnt realize that there are people out there pulling 10.6s N/A with the cam Im using, but then again, Im sure they have a lot more extreme setups than me. (gears, converter, weight, etc.) About driving the car and learning to hook...Ive played and played and played with so many variables and still no improvement. Ive ran different tire pressures, heated up the tires less or more, ran different settings in the Hals, launched at different rpms, and yet nothing which leads me to believe that something else is wrong. First thing that goes to my head is not having the right set up. I know a lot has to do with the driver, but how complicated can it be? I mean, heat the tires up, stage it, stall it up, and hit it when the light turns. Anyone could do that, how can one person from another make a big improvement? Thats not a sarcastic comment by no means, its a questions Id like to know. Ok, I know now that the drags hook better than streets even if theyre the same size, however, I know a lot of people using streets with more power, better times, etc. that dont have problems with 'em. I mentioned what Ive played with while at the track, what other things can I do to improve my times? How much does suspension affect times? I have an adjustable torque arm, phb, and lcas. If you can think of any other things that could be hurting my times, please share. Again, I dont mean to be a pain and sorry for the frustration, but I DO appreciate your help. Thanks Colonel.

gator's 99ta: Never thought/said that 4.10s w/nitrous in an auto. is going to work, I just asked about it to see if it was possible even if I made up with it with tires. Im trying to work on going fast, but it gets discouraging when you continue to play and play and no improvements come about. Im limited on knowledge, so there is only so many things that I can try out. That is why Im trying to get more answers/suggestions on what else I could change or adjust on the car. By the way, not trying to impress anyone, I just brought up nitrous for my own personal use for the future...hopefully.

Chris ARE 360: Thanks for the comparison, nice gain!

Brains: Thanks for the advice, very good choice of words and a wise thought as well. As Ive said above, it gets frustrating when theres only so much that I know of to adjust and nothing improves. I then think its all in my combo and I want to start changing things. Havent you had enough already with the jokes/criticizing in the Texas Section? I mean c'mon, its getting kinda old and rediculous. Why are you so stuck on the cam thing anway? Youve been talking about it for months now, who cares how much Im asking for it. It'll sell one day. Anyhow, Im trying my best to be patient and maximize my current combo, but I definately need help doing so because Ive run out of ideas. Thanks.

Last edited by BlackBeaSSt; 04-19-2004 at 04:38 PM.
Old 04-19-2004, 06:23 PM

Default ?

Damn Steve, Did you miss your dose this morning????