Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Viking Front Coilovers Install Thread

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2013, 07:47 AM
8 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Viking Front Coilovers Install Thread

So i got my New Vikings from MWC seem like a very high quality product i will post results soon. But i'll try to cover everything in the thread on how to make this an easy install. I've already done this once going from stock DeCarbon's to Eibach Pro's with Bilstiens. So I'll mention some things you might run into while doing this for the first time.

Here's what I'm working with DA Viking 18 Way Shocks with 300lb springs

I'll start off on the step where the wheel is off and car is jacked up everyone knows how to do that.

First you should Put your jack under the control arm just for some support
Remove all the 4 top Strut Mount bolts 2 are 15mm and the other two (if stock are Torx) i Replaced those since i hate using them. But in this picture you will see that all are simple to get at but if you have the torx left your going to have to remove the brake master cyl. Not hard to do just another 2 15mm nuts and remove the brake lines and pull it out dont worry you will not have to bleed this just set it off to the side.
Here is the one bolt thats a pain to get to but i would suggest ditching the stock bolt and getting a nice grade 8 so if you ever remove it again you can do it without removing the master

Once you have those four removed go back to the wheel and remove the ball joint I would just replace them while your in there might as well. They are cheap anyways. Theres threads on how to do that since your going to have to drill the old one out but thats another thread.........

Once that comes off grab some zip tie or something to hold your spindle that way its not just resting on the lower ball joint

Now your going to remove the lower mounts they are a 13mm top and 15mm bottom.

After this start to lower your jack and when you do this (Slowly) you will have the whole assembly free just pull that out and you can work on removing the spring. Since everything is out another good time to clean it up in there with some new paint i know mine wasnt looking goo so i cleaned it up as much as i could with black paint.
Here is the whole assembly The top control arm just pulls off and you can work on the upper shock mount

One thing that these car are notorious for is the rust in the top of the mount and will be a nightmare to get out unless your car has never seen snow.
What i had to do the first time was cut the top bolt right off i couldnt get it since it was rusted so bad.
Rent a spring compressor dont be crazy and cut it so the spring goes flying across your garage

Here is the top bolt from my shock it wasnt hard to remove since i did it only a year ago and filled it with grease when i put it back together.
So once you get your new coilovers back in load up the top mount with some grease so you will not run into any of this again!

Again with my car i had to even replace the upper shock mounts on both they were rusted and seized up so bad it was frozen to my shock. I wish i had pictures from that but trust me if your having a hard time just replace them it will save you a ton of stress!
Now the easy part throwing everything back together

One thing i forgot to take pictures of is the bearing on the bottom of the spring mount for adjustment. I read the instructions that came with it and just followed that. But i can explain. when installing the bottom mount Use the washer (One side coated with anti seize) bearing and then the other washer with one side of anti seize again that way it spins more freely.

A good starting point for ride height is about 6 1/2 inches from the bottom spring mount to the adjustment *****. Thats what i did because when i first lowered it obv it was too low lol

If you need other pictures or have questions feel free to ask but it was a very straight forward job just gotta get those nasty old parts out of there and like i said if you want to just buy upper mounts it will save you a TON of time! You could even just toss the old assembly's in the trash and wouldnt even have to rent a compressor.
Old 07-04-2013, 09:46 AM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Those look like some nice *** coils. How much do they weigh vs stock? Thanks for sharing.
Old 07-04-2013, 10:07 AM
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by adamantium
Those look like some nice *** coils. How much do they weigh vs stock? Thanks for sharing.
Thanks for the price you can't beat it
I wish I took some pics of throwing the coil overs together but they were a lot lighter than the eibach/bilstien combo I'd say total 10lbs savings in the front alone
Old 07-04-2013, 10:34 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Great job! Thanks for the write up and pics. We will be doing a full front and rear install soon and this one will have the rear coil-over conversion on it with a MWC 9" rearend! I will get some pics of the install for everyone when we do the job here and some of it will be documented to the MWC website.
Old 07-04-2013, 12:36 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey camaro9969, how did you get your front wheel tucked in so much?
It looks like your still running stock control arms.
Or maybe it's just the way it looks in the pic?
Old 07-04-2013, 01:41 PM
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by 2 Stroke Racer
Hey camaro9969, how did you get your front wheel tucked in so much?
It looks like your still running stock control arms.
Or maybe it's just the way it looks in the pic?
It is stock control arms and I posted that picture before I started adjusting I could of kept it that way but I am looking to make better times at the track. Maybe for a show ill drop it like that haha.
Old 07-04-2013, 01:43 PM
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by ssvert99
Great job! Thanks for the write up and pics. We will be doing a full front and rear install soon and this one will have the rear coil-over conversion on it with a MWC 9" rearend! I will get some pics of the install for everyone when we do the job here and some of it will be documented to the MWC website.
Thanks for your help and fast shipping I'm looking forward to trying them out. Will be ordering some rears soon
Old 07-04-2013, 01:45 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Camaro9969
It is stock control arms and I posted that picture before I started adjusting I could of kept it that way but I am looking to make better times at the track. Maybe for a show ill drop it like that haha.

I hear ya, it just looks like your tire is tucked behind your fender.
Mine touches the fender when coming down from a wheelie.
I need adj control arms to get them in a bit.

I would have def went with these shocks if I didn't already buy
Strange all the way around. They look good!
Old 07-05-2013, 11:24 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

ok so what made you decide this brand? thanks!
Old 07-05-2013, 12:05 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Lets see...

An industry-best 2 year warranty. 18 position double adjustable valving(Viking only makes double adj). Both adjusters easy to get to on the bottom of the shock body. USA made(Minneapolis area). High quality components and finish. Same or next day shipping. Price... by far the best bang for the buck right now while Viking is getting their name out there. These shocks are priced close to what other single adjustable packages are.

That's all. Need we say more?
Old 07-05-2013, 12:37 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

so performs better than the competition?
Old 07-05-2013, 12:38 PM
9-Second Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by 2 Stroke Racer
I hear ya, it just looks like your tire is tucked behind your fender.
Mine touches the fender when coming down from a wheelie.
I need adj control arms to get them in a bit.

I would have def went with these shocks if I didn't already buy
Strange all the way around. They look good!
I had to change front wheel off-sets to tuck mine in, to stop mine from hitting on landings. MT has fronts that tuck them in.
Old 07-06-2013, 12:28 AM
9 Second Club

What are the specs on the wheels Ed?
Old 07-06-2013, 06:42 AM
9-Second Club

Originally Posted by subhumanzz
What are the specs on the wheels Ed?
Don't remember. That was three years ago. I would have to pull one off the car to measure. Either 3 1/2" or 4" wide, lots of back spacing. Should not be hard to figure out looking at the catalog.
Old 07-06-2013, 10:59 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 15 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by ssvert99
Lets see...

An industry-best 2 year warranty. 18 position double adjustable valving(Viking only makes double adj). Both adjusters easy to get to on the bottom of the shock body. USA made(Minneapolis area). High quality components and finish. Same or next day shipping. Price... by far the best bang for the buck right now while Viking is getting their name out there. These shocks are priced close to what other single adjustable packages are.

That's all. Need we say more?
From Minneapolis and named them Viking.....
As a Chicago Bears fan i can not own a pair, lol
Old 07-06-2013, 02:01 PM
12 Second Club

Do they make a double adjustable for the rear of our cars? I looked around and it seems there are only "universal" rear sets, and not one that is Fbody specific. If so, what is the price and maybe a link to them somewhere? Thanks,
Old 07-06-2013, 02:06 PM
On The Tree

How much do they run
Old 07-07-2013, 06:20 AM
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by Taubr Unit
From Minneapolis and named them Viking.....
As a Chicago Bears fan i can not own a pair, lol
hahahahaha thats awesome

Originally Posted by 93camaro_zzz
Do they make a double adjustable for the rear of our cars? I looked around and it seems there are only "universal" rear sets, and not one that is Fbody specific. If so, what is the price and maybe a link to them somewhere? Thanks,
Yes they make rear da shocks give MWC a call here's a link
https://ls1tech.com/forums/suspensio...lable-mwc.html
Also the part number for the shocks is B223

Originally Posted by charlie97z28
How much do they run
I paid $570 Shipped with everything to install and adjust them properly. Wrenches and bearings
Old 07-07-2013, 11:18 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Very nice write up. I see me getting these in the near future.
Old 07-07-2013, 11:39 AM
9-Second Club

But, do you know if their valving is correct? Anybody fast using them?

I have had two sets of double adjustable shocks that I had to send off to be re-valved. Adjustable doesn't mean you can adjust them far enough to "get there".
Most top chassis shops use Strange or AFCO, probably for a reason. I learned, the expensive way, to not try to save money there.

Quick Reply: Viking Front Coilovers Install Thread