Ran for the first time tonight

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2004, 12:37 AM
BMW ///M Nerd

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Ran for the first time tonight

Finally

Mods are:
275/40/17 BF Goodrich Comp TA Drag radials (just put them on a day ago)

1 3/4 KOOKS LTs w/ catted 3" y
Hooker CB
LS1 Motorsports Lid w/Holley powershot filter
Granatelli "Budget" MAF
5.0 Pro Shifter

Car dynoed rwhp in SIG with just the Hooker CB and Lid/Filter/MAF

First run was a 13.7 @108 with a 2.4 60 foot I bogged to ****...I didn't, and still don't have the launch down on my new tires.

I got warned for no helmet, watched a few races, got bored and went for another run.

Second run: 13.2 @ 106 (wtf ) with a 2.0 60 foot. I bogged like crazy on this one as well. I only launched at around 2500, IF that. What can I say, I don't want to break my rearend Than I got kicked out of course.

I can drive this car great, but I've only driven it maybe 4 times this year. If my launches were better I would say I could EASILY be in the 12s. The car also needs a tune, it's never had one, and it's about time with the mods.

At the time of the dyno, everything looked perfect, and it pulled some amazing hp for the mods. What do you guys think, what's next?

I might head up on friday with a helmet and bust out some 12s with a little more ballsy launch
Old 05-13-2004, 08:08 AM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

a 410 gear will help that bog out just hang in there
Old 05-13-2004, 08:51 AM
"The Drag Racing Director"

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You need to get a helmet and practice, practice and your times will drop for sure.

Good luck on your next trip to the track.

Coach

Last edited by Coach 02 A3 Z/28; 05-13-2004 at 10:13 AM.
Old 05-13-2004, 09:19 AM
BMW ///M Nerd

Do you guys usually powershift? I powershifted second on my first pass and shifted regularly through 3rd and 4th. I had practically no wheelspin doing this...

I know the 4.10 gears will take care of the bog, but I'm not willing to toast my 10 bolt yet. I have no money for a new 12 bolt, and I don't want the car to be down for the summer.

I'm gonna pick up the MTI billet TB and then have it tuned at Eastside.

I know I've got some helmets kicking around. I know at least one of them is snell/dot rated. Might be a full face motocross helmet though, will that work?

Rob
Old 05-13-2004, 09:38 AM
TECH Addict

Received 49 Likes on 18 Posts

nice times Rob , bring that thing down and have nogo work his magic.
Old 05-13-2004, 09:42 AM
Motorboater

i use a motocross helmet, as long as it meets the snell rating you're all set

12's look easily attanable for you with a little better sixty foot.

My guess on the 106 mph on that second pass is you let off the gas a little early by accident before the finish or ran the rpm's up too high in 3rd and grabbed 4th right before the finish, that would hurt your MPH as well. With stock 3.42's, especiallyon 17" rims(you loose a little effective gear) try to finish in 3rd gear or short shift 3rd a little so you are solidly in 4th well before the traps..try both ways and see which nets better MPH for your particular car.

As for powershifting, I do not do it, I never have. I believe in practicing until you can pound the shifts faster than any powershifter. I tried it once a few years ago and my car seemed to just fall out of the powerband and it seemed really hard on the car as well.

Just practice, I'd put my driving up against anyone that powershifts and do it with confidence congrats on the good times and good luck next time
Old 05-13-2004, 12:33 PM
BMW ///M Nerd

I think I'll bust out the ol' HJC then. I'm positive that its got a recent snell/dot rating.

My second pass felt weird, because it felt like each shift was perfect, I figured I would have been at least around 108/109. I've got a shift light that I'm going to wire up into the center A/C vent. This way I'll know for sure when to shift. I usually do it all by feel and keep my eyes straight ahead, shifting usually around 5500.

Well anyways, I've got a car show on Saturday, so I may spend Friday night detailing the car after work. But if I've got enough energy, I'll go up to NED and get a few more passes in. Thanks for the tips guys.

Does 3k-3500 RPM sound like a somewhat safe place to launch from?
Old 05-13-2004, 12:55 PM
TECH Addict

Received 49 Likes on 18 Posts

The 106mph is because you hooked up. The more yoiu spin at the line the more you will trap.
Old 05-13-2004, 02:20 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by BAD *** TA WS6
I think I'll bust out the ol' HJC then. I'm positive that its got a recent snell/dot rating.

My second pass felt weird, because it felt like each shift was perfect, I figured I would have been at least around 108/109. I've got a shift light that I'm going to wire up into the center A/C vent. This way I'll know for sure when to shift. I usually do it all by feel and keep my eyes straight ahead, shifting usually around 5500.

Well anyways, I've got a car show on Saturday, so I may spend Friday night detailing the car after work. But if I've got enough energy, I'll go up to NED and get a few more passes in. Thanks for the tips guys.

Does 3k-3500 RPM sound like a somewhat safe place to launch from?
yea, 3500, and ride it out quick, dont dump it. i was going 12.7's with your setup 245 nittos and no tune. so just get some practice man.
Old 05-13-2004, 02:32 PM
TECH Veteran

Gotta agree with everyone else... just keep practicing! Having a car capable of 12s is one thing, getting it to run that time is something else altogether. Just takes seat time...

This last time out to the track I ran the time in my sig... it was my first outing where I got into the 12s, always kept running 13.00s before and it was getting frustrating. More or less something just clicked finally... got the burnout right, got the launch right, got the shifts right... it just takes practice.
Old 05-13-2004, 07:47 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

starting with the helment snell 90 95 or newer last i remembers for ned. wed night track pep well lucky if they even put a little bit down. i have basically the same type setup launching at 3500 no problem but still need practice spin or bog running 2.0's on my dr's but i only have ten runs on em and that was all the same day it'll be nice once i get it right and see a 1.8-1.9 60's