Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Exhaust extension

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2016, 11:58 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Exhaust extension

Wasn't sure what to put in the title. I'm getting my car re-tuned in a few days and the tuner wants me to add an exhaust pipe extension to my car. My exhaust it just a 6" bullet muffler attached by a band clamp to the end of my headers.

He wants to add o2 sensors to the headers and wants me to extend the exhaust out so no dirty air comes back while tuning.

Any suggestion what I could use temporary just to get by for the tuner?? I had an exhaust shop cut me a 3" pipe 12" long but it may be to heavy to attach it with a band clamp. Any suggestions would be appreciated. I'm going to check homedepot for a lightweight 3" pipe.
Old 03-20-2016, 03:27 PM
10 Second Club

Received 106 Likes on 94 Posts

You can find a band clamp at most parts stores like this one and it will hold fine.

Old 03-20-2016, 05:32 PM
TECH Regular

Thanks I'm gonna give this a try. That's what I use now to hold my bullet muffler. The pipe I had cut is on the heavy side and not sure if there is enough lip on the muffler. I'll give it a shot tomorrow night.

Thanks.
Old 03-21-2016, 01:33 AM
8 Second Truck Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Just tell him to put it in the collector. With mufflers on it, that should be enough pipe alone to keep the **** out. It's only an issue at idle/cruise anyway, and you shouldn't be blowing up motors at idle/cruise. At WOT there isn't any air coming back into the system.
Old 03-21-2016, 07:40 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by Blown06
Just tell him to put it in the collector. With mufflers on it, that should be enough pipe alone to keep the **** out. It's only an issue at idle/cruise anyway, and you shouldn't be blowing up motors at idle/cruise. At WOT there isn't any air coming back into the system.
This post is sorta confusing. At idle and light throttle your computer is still trimming your fuel, positive or negative. Then for wot it locks in a trim based on those. So if the idle and lower throttle region are being incorrectly read by stock o2s while being driven, not only will driveability and gas mileage suffer but it will still effect wot as well. The point is it should be done correctly all the time, there is no reason to risk too short of a pipe.
Old 03-21-2016, 08:23 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Blown06
I did mention this to him and the o2's are going into the original bung in the collectors. He still wants a little more pipe.

Originally Posted by 01ssreda4
This post is sorta confusing. At idle and light throttle your computer is still trimming your fuel, positive or negative. Then for wot it locks in a trim based on those. So if the idle and lower throttle region are being incorrectly read by stock o2s while being driven, not only will driveability and gas mileage suffer but it will still effect wot as well. The point is it should be done correctly all the time, there is no reason to risk too short of a pipe.
Not sure if it matters but I told him it's a 100% track car. So driveability etc i'm not too worried about. I'm gonna try to attach this 3"x12" pipe tonight and see if a band clamp will hold. He said he can work off one o2 sensor.
Old 03-21-2016, 08:41 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

This is what I used on mine plus some 6" vibrant bullets on after the extensions.

Old 03-21-2016, 09:47 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If it s a track car, couldn't you just disable the LTFT so your LTFT do not influence the WOT?
Old 03-21-2016, 10:25 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by BennyB
This is what I used on mine plus some 6" vibrant bullets on after the extensions.

Benny where did you get the extensions at? And any pics with the bullets on? Looks good!

Originally Posted by 1slowbusa
If it s a track car, couldn't you just disable the LTFT so your LTFT do not influence the WOT?
Not sure what "lift" is. It has been tuned previously for no o2's. Not sure if that's what you mean.
Old 03-21-2016, 12:26 PM
11 Second Club

If you had it tuned before with no O2 sensors then the tune is a speed density tune that uses the MAP & IAT sensors for calculations. The tuner would most likely use a wide band to tune. Do you know if you are getting a tune for wide open throttle or part throttle or both? Is this the same tuner and if not, does he know that it was tuned before without o2 sensors?
Old 03-21-2016, 12:28 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by 1slowbusa
If you had it tuned before with no O2 sensors then the tune is a speed density tune that uses the MAP & IAT sensors for calculations. The tuner would most likely use a wide band to tune. Do you know if you are getting a tune for wide open throttle or part throttle or both? Is this the same tuner and if not, does he know that it was tuned before without o2 sensors?
No he didn't say anything about wide open or part throttle. I did tell him it was tuned previously "without" o2's and it was a mail-order tune.

He said no problem he still wants to tune it using o2's just for additional information.
Old 03-21-2016, 12:38 PM
11 Second Club

Sounds good.

Question not pertaining to the exhaust. What suspension are you running on the car? With the time in your signature, your 60 foot is pretty good. Also, what size tire are you running in the rear? 9.5 or 10.5 wide?
Old 03-21-2016, 01:22 PM
TECH Regular

No problem. Just recently put on strange double adjustable shocks on the front and replaced the rears with competition engineering shocks. Rear tires are 28x10 and the fronts i'm not sure about. I think they call it a Volkswagen tire.

The shocks helped some but the 4.88 gear and 4900 stall helped alot. The 1.49 60' pass was from the other day. It consistently runs 1.51 - 1.52 60'.

Also just installed a mwc torque arm bar.
Old 03-21-2016, 01:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Edelbrock used to sell the extensions actually, but I'm sure any exhaust shop would have them or make them. I'll look around and see if I have any pics with the mufflers on
Old 03-21-2016, 02:30 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by BennyB
Edelbrock used to sell the extensions actually, but I'm sure any exhaust shop would have them or make them. I'll look around and see if I have any pics with the mufflers on
Thanks.
Old 03-23-2016, 09:57 AM
12 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You might get some better responses on this in the PCM tuning section. However, having a lot of experience with tuning, I have an opinion on it. So, if he is using a wideband to tune your car, then you shouldn't have to worry about your WOT regions at all, because as previously said, there will not be any missreadings with that much exhaust going out. You said that the fuel trims were turned off in the tune previously? Does he want to keep it that way, or no? If he wants to keep it that way, then you don't need O2 sensors in the first place. If he wants to use narrowbands in your exhaust, then in my opinion, I would feel comfortable placing them in your collectors. I have tuned cars with much more sketchy setups, including my own. My exhaust is a fender exit turbo downpipe. So it has no muffler. My wideband is roughly 18 inches from the exit of the pipe.
Old 03-23-2016, 10:20 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by 93camaro_zzz
You might get some better responses on this in the PCM tuning section. However, having a lot of experience with tuning, I have an opinion on it. So, if he is using a wideband to tune your car, then you shouldn't have to worry about your WOT regions at all, because as previously said, there will not be any missreadings with that much exhaust going out. You said that the fuel trims were turned off in the tune previously? Does he want to keep it that way, or no? If he wants to keep it that way, then you don't need O2 sensors in the first place. If he wants to use narrowbands in your exhaust, then in my opinion, I would feel comfortable placing them in your collectors. I have tuned cars with much more sketchy setups, including my own. My exhaust is a fender exit turbo downpipe. So it has no muffler. My wideband is roughly 18 inches from the exit of the pipe.
Not sure if it's called fuel trims but yes it was tuned for no o2 sensors.

I'll let yall know what I find out in person.
Old 03-23-2016, 10:47 AM
TECH Regular

Just reading back through his emails he called it wideband o2 sensors.
Old 03-25-2016, 11:03 AM
11 Second Club

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Perfect time to add a tubular K member
Old 03-25-2016, 03:29 PM
TECH Regular

Lot of things to add on the list. But after the tune it definitely needs a anti-roll.

Quick Reply: Exhaust extension