Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Jeg's Rollbar done/pics

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2004, 01:06 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Jeg's Rollbar done/pics

I bought the Jeg's (CE) 6pt rollbar about a year ago, and finally got sick of the tech yelling at me to put it in. So in it went. My buddy Travis helped out a ton with the welding and measuring/cutting of this bar. This was both of our first time doing a rollbar install and I think it came out very good. Here are some pics of the install.

We did this over about 2.5 days, would have been less if the rain would have stopped(we did this outside)
We left the carpet in the car but had a huge welding blanket and stragetically placed wet towels to keep some danger down
The Jegs bar wasn't that bad, all the interior pieces fit back in and things mounted up properly. If you have some time and a little skill, doing this bar on your own is very doable.
We didn't put the crossbar in because I have to put my 1 year old back there and this is my only car so the tech can accept the fact that its a street car.
J

Last edited by frcefed98; 07-28-2004 at 09:57 PM.
Old 07-28-2004, 01:11 PM
SSU Moderator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by frcefed98
We didn't put the crossbar in because I have to put my 1 year old back there and this is my only car so the tech can accept the fact that its a street car.
J
So you did all that for nothing? Or is the tech a little lax?
Old 07-28-2004, 02:18 PM
On The Tree

Nice install for it being both of you guys first time looks very proffesional, think it would have looked better painted black but the grey works well also goes with the interior. Nice job guys!!!
Old 07-28-2004, 02:29 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I like the grey. It looks like you did a great job. It took 12 hours and an ambidextrious midget to get my bars in.
Old 07-28-2004, 03:39 PM
Motorboater

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice work man, i like it
Old 07-28-2004, 03:49 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

HOLY **** that looks good!!
Old 07-28-2004, 03:59 PM
TECH Senior Member

Looks really good, how much did that cage cost ya?
Old 07-28-2004, 04:46 PM
10 Second Club

That looks GREAT! Will the back seat still fit? I'll be needing one next year....
Old 07-28-2004, 05:51 PM
10 Second Club

Looks great !!
Old 07-28-2004, 07:07 PM
TECH Senior Member

Ryan J, the tech is pretty easy going, I've been running 11's for quite sometime now, and only in the past 8 months has he been getting on my case, but still let me run. Then he got tough this past month and made me do only 1/8mi passes and gave me two weeks to put it in so in it went.

Thanks for all the cool compliments, that really makes a project like this worthwhile.

J
Old 07-28-2004, 07:13 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by WAHUSKER
That looks GREAT! Will the back seat still fit? I'll be needing one next year....
Yep it still fits, but anyone over 4ft tall is going to have head clearance issues. It would have been better if we had access to a bar bender so we could go towards the headliner then down over the seat than straight back.

Bos, 550-944503K 8-Point Roll Bar Kit $149.99 (the d-bars I guess count as the other two points?) Plus 80 for freight.
Old 07-28-2004, 07:22 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Looks good, but why no cross bar behind the seats? Without it you still aren't legal at a sanctioned event.
Old 07-28-2004, 07:56 PM
TECH Senior Member

Thanks, here in ALB, NM we have no sanctioned events. The car only goes out on TNT nights anyway lol.
J
Old 07-28-2004, 08:22 PM
TECH Junkie

Nice install. Looks like that bar actually takes up less interior room then my wolfe does.
Old 07-28-2004, 09:45 PM
TECH Junkie

Looks really nice...

I'll be trying to do my own cage in the near future (but I won't be doing the final welding, just the fitment/tack welding)...

I'm going with a cage from A.R.T. since they're somewhat local and shipping will be less. My sources tell me their stuff is top notch, too.
Old 07-28-2004, 09:56 PM
TECH Senior Member

Thanks GeorgeC, Blur and Big Mike, you all have wicked nice cars, I just wish to have mine run as strong as them one day, I'm chipping away at it slowly but surely

As for the welding, my buddy Travis is pretty good with the MIG, and showed me how to lay a decent weld down in a short amount of time. With the both of us welding, it wasn't that bad at all. We tried to get things as close as possible so all was a tight fit. We just took our time and measured, remeasured and then remeasured again, then got out the level to make sure it was somewhat decent lol. I kinda botched the carpet cuts but it isn't that noticable. I was real intimidated by welding but got the hang of it right away and after a install like this I am comfortable with my lil mig welder.
Thanks guys,
J
Old 07-29-2004, 07:59 AM
TECH Enthusiast

J

Looks like you guys did a pretty good job with the bar. The only negative comments I have are the obvious and thats with safety. There's a reason that crossbar is there and it isn't just for convienence. Putting that bar in without it was really no better than not having it in at all and if your track let's you run without it then thats pretty sad. Coming from someone who almost lost their life to a tragic car accident I can tell you your not only putting yourself at risk, but your child at risk which in my opinion shouldn't be in the back of that car with any kind of bar in it. My brother broke his arm just holding on to the bar (he was in the back) trying to brace himself for the impact that he got to witness first hand. Something you should think about and maybe ask yourself what's more important.
Old 07-29-2004, 09:21 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by The Big Show
Looks like you guys did a pretty good job with the bar. The only negative comments I have are the obvious and thats with safety. There's a reason that crossbar is there and it isn't just for convienence. Putting that bar in without it was really no better than not having it in at all and if your track let's you run without it then thats pretty sad. Coming from someone who almost lost their life to a tragic car accident I can tell you your not only putting yourself at risk, but your child at risk which in my opinion shouldn't be in the back of that car with any kind of bar in it. My brother broke his arm just holding on to the bar (he was in the back) trying to brace himself for the impact that he got to witness first hand. Something you should think about and maybe ask yourself what's more important.
In Jeremys defense, he loves his kid more than anything in the world. That was extremely obvious to me when I went to check out the install for myself, hence the deleted intermediate bar. Not only that, Travis was teasing him because he "drives like an old lady" which kinda shocked me consdering how quick his car is. He does 65 in a 75mph highway .

Our track is lax when it comes to rules. They are cracking down though, which is probably why Jer had to get the rollbar installed. I believe they just got their NHRA license.

A rollbar is better than non at all.
Old 07-29-2004, 09:48 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by -=Merlin=-
In Jeremys defense, he loves his kid more than anything in the world.
Never said he didn't so no need to defend.

hence the deleted intermediate bar. Not only that, Travis was teasing him because he "drives like an old lady" which kinda shocked me consdering how quick his car is. He does 65 in a 75mph highway .
The deletion of this bar completely affects the structural integrity of the bar and it's deletion really deems the bar useless. If he gets in an accident at the 75 mph highway stroll he takes and the bar collapses and injures or even kills the driver and or passengers, then what?

Our track is lax when it comes to rules. They are cracking down though, which is probably why Jer had to get the rollbar installed. I believe they just got their NHRA license.

A rollbar is better than non at all.
I think it's pretty pathetic on any tracks part to be laxed about rules because they directly endanger the lives of the driver and people in attendance. Says alot to me....and if a rollbar is not properly installed, then your last comment could be no farther from the truth.
Old 07-29-2004, 10:47 AM
TECH Senior Member

Good Points big show, I will make it removeable, I know that it still won't be legal but it will be able to be put in and bolted to the main hoop. It has to be a compromise as this car is my daily driver(I feel a rollbar is a liability on the street where the vehicle spends 99% of its time hence the reason I didn't want it in). My son only goes in the car on emergency type trips if I don't have another vehicle available. We put the seat and childseat in the back and it doesn't come anywhere near the bars, couple this with the way the child seat ties down and its not going anywhere.......but if that crossbar was in there, it was in the line of sight of the seat. Very very good chance of impact if he was in the car at the time of an accident. But hey lets not bring this post to this, how does it look? The crossbar will be bolted in.
Thanks for looking out for my safety big show, it is appreciated

Merlin, want to help with a FMIC install?
J