I broke my 10 bolt today 98 10 bolt A4 3.23 93,000 miles

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2005, 11:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default I broke my 10 bolt today 98 10 bolt A4 3.23 93,000 miles

I broke my 10 bolt today 98 10 bolt A4 3.23
it had 93,000 miles when I bought it then I started racing it a did
about 400-500 1.95~ 8.50~ 1/8 Mile twice a weak NOS shots at 7.80~ during a 4 month period in 2004 Then about 250 passes at 1.75-1.85 7.50-7.80 with ET Streets also 1.63 7.34-7.36 3 times during a 2 1/2 months this year It pulled the wheels sometimes most of the time just one wheel barely of the ground. the car now has 94,000~ on it.

It started to catch when I was turning into the return road after a time trial. Then I thought I might as well go as long as I can because I paid for three entry classes and I figured that it might go all the way who knows well no it didn't I did another burn out and it started to make a loud noise from the rear the track offial looked at it funny and then I rolled out off the burnout and it continued to make noise so I stopped and backed it out of the starting line it was only timetrials I figured it wouldn't of lasted the first round of Eleminations. When I drove it back to the pits it clanked now. I pulled it back on the trailer and took it home.

When I got home I pulled the rear end cover to see what happenned. The ring and pinion where fine but there wher gear parts laying underneeth the posi. and a yellow spring. When I look at it it looked like it had 4 gears in the posi but one was completely gone and one was chipped. One of the middle ones was the one that was chipped and the other was the one that was missing the two side ones where fine.

I guess it went though a lot but it had to give up sometime. I did have a Girdle on the rear end with the screw ins touqed to spec.

I race the car alot most of the time 2-3 times a week me and my grandfather enter it into 2 classes each and it runs down the track alot.
I don't want to run under 7.35 1/8th mile because of the rollbar and saftey jacket and 5 point. I don't drive the car on the street at all this is my bracket race car only.

I am thinking of putting 3.73 12 bolt Spool. Do you think this will be the right choice?
I hope to get something soon to fix it I race in the points races and don't want to have to drive my truck in the race very long just to keep up the points.

anyone have any advise for my replacement?
thanks
Old 04-25-2005, 09:00 AM
Coal Mining Director

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Spool is great for your goals. You'll hear Moser 12bolt, Strange 12bolt and Moser 9 inch and all are good. I did the Moser 12 myself but you can't go wrong with any of them....shop for a deal.
Old 04-25-2005, 06:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by onfire
Spool is great for your goals. You'll hear Moser 12bolt, Strange 12bolt and Moser 9 inch and all are good. I did the Moser 12 myself but you can't go wrong with any of them....shop for a deal.
I ordered a moser 12bolt spool 3.73 today they said it will be hear by one week.
Old 04-25-2005, 09:56 PM
Coal Mining Director

Congrats. Moser always delivers pretty quick....you're bulletproof now.
Old 04-26-2005, 12:59 AM
10 Second Club

Thumbs up

Wow, I can't believe how long and well you're 10 bolt held up...this gives me hope.
Old 04-26-2005, 08:58 AM
"The Drag Racing Director"

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by brandonppr
I ordered a moser 12bolt spool 3.73 today they said it will be hear by one week.
You will be good to go now. Good luck the rest of the year. Please keep us updated.

Coach
Old 05-08-2005, 06:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

well I got my 12 bolt in and got a new set of tires my car it now about a tenth faster in the 1/8th mile but the rear is still a little tight. I love the spool. my 60fts are much more consistante and my RTs are also. I ran last night and placed 2nd and 3rd in two races
Old 05-08-2005, 06:34 PM
TECH Junkie

Gee Brandon, you sure can't complain about the service that Auburn posi and the original 10 bolt gave you...Wonder if the Moser will last that long? How's that spool street driving?? Best wishes w/the new set-up. WJ
Old 05-13-2005, 11:05 AM
TECH Fanatic

yeah I was glad to have the 10 bolt as long as I did. I drove it on the street some and it seemed ok its a little wierd on tight turns such as turning right at a stop sign. but that was to be expected. I don't drive the car on the street too much it mostly just races the only reason I drove it then was to try out the new rear. I race it alot and carry my family with me and carry it on the trailer to the track. It would not make sense for my to drive it to the track and wear the tires plus use more gas and wear the tires and still have to bring my truck and I go 3 times a week.

I am very happy with the rear though and I love the spool at the track. I raced tuesday night and won 2 races with it. I am racing tonight and hope to continue to do well with it.

It seems people are so amazed to see the car running as well as it does and this kind of car winning these kind of races. They are also amazed the car takes so many trips down the track and runs back to back without getting hot like a lot of racecars I see having to cool down. Me and my Grandfather both enter the car in 2 classes each night and the temps stay down on the car with no problems.

good luck all