Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone out there drag racing with a 2004R

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2005, 09:58 AM
Race your car!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Default Anyone out there drag racing with a 200R4

O.K., here goes. I"m in the process of starting a backup plan for when my T56 decides to crap out... or the spec 4I clutch decides to go on me.. and I think that an auto tranny is gonna be a better way to go, rather then spending a ton of $$ like most guys do rebuilding the T56 only to have problems later down the road. I would really like to have O.D. in the car... as the closest track is about 90 miles from my house, and I don't see buying a trailer as something that will happen anytime soon. I know that the cruise and the TCS will have to go when the tranny goes in too, but will the abs still work... providing I leave all that on the rear?

The 200R4 from the GN looks like the best possible option at this point, the 4l80 is just too heavy... as I'm tryin to keep the car as light as I can. What I am looking for is anyone that has run or is running a 200R4 tranny.. what did it cost you to do the swap, including the shifter and tranny cooler? What did you go with for a shifter, what did you ahve to cut to get the shifter in the car.. did it fit in the opening for the 6 seed shifter? What shifter did you go with? The tranny itself, is there a manual valve body available for the 200R4 tranny... and what about a transbrake? Is this a possibility with a 200R4, or would it be better to just go with a man. valve body and use the foot brake.. as I don't plan to go to the track every weekend.... so I can probably do without the trans. brake. And what converter did everyone run.. N/A and NOS if possible... as that might also happen. How did or is the tranny holding up too... I really don't want to put a tranny in that's gonna be a real problem child, if I wanted to do that, I'd just go with a 4l60... but we all know that those are definately not the best option.. although there are some people that have had good luck with them.. I don't wanna change it, I'd rather go with somethign more proven if I'm gonna do the swap.

Last edited by JL ws-6; 05-03-2005 at 10:49 AM. Reason: I can't type
Old 05-03-2005, 11:36 AM
I ruin the end of films...

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had a buddy go w/ a 200-4R in his 98. He had a couple problems with it, not to mention some custom work to get it to work. Not sure if he posts on here anymore though.
Old 05-03-2005, 11:43 AM
Race your car!

People that have had problems with this swap would be helpful also, would give me some ideas as to what to watch out for. IF you can get him to post up on this, it would help.
Old 05-03-2005, 12:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

I mated a 200-4r to my LS1 no problems. You may also want to contact Texas Speed their race car runs one.

No problems with mine. Mine is for sale cause I am going with a PG but here is what mine has:

SS3800E Yank converter works well
GN BRF valvebody
Transbrake
billet internals

It works really well and you can shift into OD at WOT!!
Old 05-03-2005, 01:42 PM
Race your car!

The BRF, you mean a Reverse valve body ( RVB ) I assume. Shifting into OD at WOT.. that's the kind of stuff I wanna be able to do.. and not worry about any problems. Who built the tranny for you?

I was also thinking about a converter in the 4000 to 4200 range...... but that's preferance I guess.
Old 05-03-2005, 02:55 PM
9 Second Club NA

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The swap was easy in my opinion. I went from a 6 speed to the 200-R4. The pedal assembly will have to be changed. On the shifter, shifter cable, shifter bracket, and shifter lever, its all from/for a 4L60E. The top portion of the console will have to be changed as well. When I was ordering all these parts, I gave them my year model and told them I had an automatic. All the 4L60E parts work with the 200-R4. You'll have to cover up the hole in the floor board where the 6 speed shifter used to be. You're gonna need a custom bracket for the throttle valve cable and bolt/weld on a tab on the throttle body cam for the throttle valve cable. The tranny will bolt right up. You will only use 5 bolts. You'll need a 4L60E/LS1 flexplate. I bought the TCI SFI approved one. You'll need a custom lenght driveshaft. I bought the Nitrous Ready driveshaft from Denny's. You can reuse your tranny crossmember, but youll need a custom spacer. You'll use a TH350 trans. mount. Youre gonna need a trans cooler as well. There is no need for any PCM swapping, you'll just need to delete a few things like reverse lock out, skip shift, etc. Here is my setup that is currently for sale. If you cant click on it, copy and paste it into the address box at the top of the page. 200-R4 is the way to go if you want the ultimate overdrive tranny. There is only 1 true trans brake out there from what I know and its way too expensive to even be worth the trouble. I just footbrake and no problems here. Mine has a automatic valve body, so there no need to worry about shifting unless you really wanted to. I do believe they have manual valve bodies though. My tranny is currently calibrated for 6500 shift points, but I manually shift it because I didnt want to mess with the governor again to up the shifts. The tranny will definately hold up. I havent had a single problem. Mike rates them at 900hp/900tq. They have been pushed deep into the 9s with no problem. By the way, the tranny that Texas Speed & Performance sells is built by Mike at Century. Here is a few more details about the setup I have for sale.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/lsx-parts-sale/314166-century-mike-kurtz-200-r4-yank-pt4400-sale.html
Old 05-03-2005, 06:40 PM
Race your car!

Thanks Drag.. that's some good info. I do want to go with a manual valve body... as I know that with my future motor plans, I will need to be changing shift points for sure, so I don't wanna set anything like that... shifting with the cam I have now, vs. a head/cam setup.. and eventually a bigger cam and a fully built motor are all gonna be different. Good to hear that the auto console from a A4 car will do the trick, those are easy to find, I see them in the for sale section all the time. Sounds like a very doable project. I'll have to jive Mike a call, talk to him about it. Not looking to do this now... but it will probably be next spring's mod for sure... but if I were... you're setup would be perfect! What you swapping to now if you don't mind me asking....... P.M. me if you don't wanna discuss in the open.
Old 05-03-2005, 07:41 PM
10 & 11 Second Club

Originally Posted by 93LS1RX7
I mated a 200-4r to my LS1 no problems. You may also want to contact Texas Speed their race car runs one.

No problems with mine. Mine is for sale cause I am going with a PG but here is what mine has:

SS3800E Yank converter works well
GN BRF valvebody
Transbrake
billet internals

It works really well and you can shift into OD at WOT!!
Who built your tranny and how much you want for it ?
Old 05-03-2005, 08:19 PM
9 Second Club NA

You don necessarily have to have a fully automatic valve body. I have an automatic valve body, but I still shift mine manually. Back when I had the old cam (C2) I shifted it at 6500 and thats where I set my shift points to. But now that Im shifting at 7000, I just shifted it manually so that I didnt have to take out the governor and grind the weight. Personally, I would go with a full automatic and shift it on your own if need be. Thats the route I would take if I wanted to keep it streetable. I'm probably gonna go with a 2 or 3 speed, havent decided yet. I have no need for an overdrive tranny anymore, thats it. As far as power goes, the 200-R4 right up there with the TH350. With all the goodies like mine, it can actually be a bit stronger.
Old 05-04-2005, 06:40 AM
Race your car!

I'll have to think about that as an option. Whatever I do, regardless wether I do ful manual valving or not.. I want it to be a reverse pattern at a min.... so I don't screw up and drop her in reverse. Did you have any scatter shield/blanket on the tranny? When I make the switch, I wanna do that stuff as well for safety resaons. I read the post about the exploding clutch.. and frankly, it's kind of pushing me to wanna do this even moreso then the thought of a failure and a tow home... I like my feet, as big as they are... and would like to keep them attached as is Not sure what safety stuff is required/good idea with the auto tranny's, I know that they too can blow up and come thru the floor, just wanna plan acordingly for the safety stuff while I'm at it.
Old 05-04-2005, 08:38 AM
TECH Fanatic

BFR is the valve body fromt he GN it is just the code on the valvebody. This is the valvebody you want unless you are going manual.

DelTrans built mine

As far as the TV cable you dont have to fab anything go here and get the entire TV setup it works great

http://www.bowtieoverdrives.com/cata...BCAT&CATID=WA5

You dont have to get a reverse VB either to not shift into Reverse just get a shifter with a reverse lockout!!

I got a trans blanket front summit and RCI model.
Old 05-04-2005, 09:57 AM
Race your car!

I think that I will go manual.... more fun that way anyway. The blanket you got.. I saw that in the summit catalog.. it's exactly what I was thinking about going with, something like that. Not sure if there's a trans case that's sfi approved, or whatever you call it. ( bell housing on a manual ).

Only thing I'm not understanding is the cable going to the throttle body... what the hell is that for anyway? Speedometer cable, that makes sense, lines to a tranny cooler, that makse sense. but a line to the throttle body? What is it for?
Old 05-04-2005, 11:27 AM
9 Second Club NA

The throttle valve cable controls line pressure. If you go manual valve body, you wont have to worry about the cable whatsover. I wouldnt worry about shifting it into overdrive as you dont have to hammer the shifter when shifting. I shift at 7000 rpms every time and run consisten numbers. I have not once thrown it into nuetral muchless reverse. (knock on wood) Again, it doesnt take bump a slight bump/push up to shift it.
Old 05-04-2005, 12:10 PM
Race your car!

That decides it.... I'll go manual, sounds like it will simplify the install some. I shift now anyway, so I don't see the manual valve body as a hinderance for streetability.

Now, the list of goodies to start collecting:

A4 ebony center console
Shifter assembly from an A4
24000 GVW trans cooler
SFI approved flexplate
Converter ( 4000 to 4200 )
200R4 core if I can find one.. or just pay the fee and get a whole setup.
Th350 tranny cross member, to mount the tranny
Driveshaft

Now, the spec's on the tranny, what first gear is everyone using ( I hear ther are choices ) and any other needed options to get, of would talking to someone ( Mike Kurtz ) just be the best way?

Thanks for all the info, has been a big help!
Old 05-04-2005, 04:48 PM
9 Second Club NA

You reuse your stock tranny crossmember, you just use a TH350 mount with a spacer in it. I think the spacer is an inch in thickness, not for sure though. Not really a must on the 1st gear ratio change, but the stock ratio is 2.74. If youre really interested, I'll sell you my setup. Tranny, spacer, shifter, leather wrapped Trans Am shifter ****, ebony A4 top portion of console, and Yank PT4400. You can pick up the cooler from Summit or Jegs for $50 and the mount for like $20. As far as the driveshaft, I can give you the demensions so you'll have minimal down time/wait. It will be a custom length. I believe Summit also sells the SFI flexplate for $199.99. Its not that big of a deal to have an automatic valvebody. I have the custom throttle bracket that will be included in the setup. You'll just unbolt your stock one from the intake and bolt the new one back on. I also have a throttle body that has been ported, polished, powdercoated, bump stop mod, and half shaft mod by Bret Bauer (Bauer Racing) a former sponsor that has the tab fabbed up on it for sale as well. Not sure what throttle body youre using now, but you could buy mine or just modify yours. Its a simple procedure. I like that I have a full manual valvebody because when I race, I manually shift and when I cruise, I let it shift on its own.
Old 05-04-2005, 05:45 PM
Race your car!

What you want for the entire setup, minus the flexplate and the cooler. P.M. me on it... I'll see what I can do on the fundage end of things. I was gonna wait until next year, but I'll see what I can come up with.

Quick Reply: Anyone out there drag racing with a 2004R