Drag Racing Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Does front ride height affect 60 ft., 1/8, or 1/4 mile?

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2005, 11:22 PM
9 Second Club NA

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Does front ride height affect 60 ft., 1/8, or 1/4 mile?

Well with front R series HAL shocks, HAL 275 lb. springs and lots of weight reduction, the front end is pretty high. There's a pretty big gap between my fender and tire, 4 inches to be exact. Anyhow, just wondering if I should leave it or lower it. I've seen quite a few drag cars who's front end is lowered. I know it'll look better, but not sure if it had any negative affect on 60 ft., 1/8, or 1/4 mile time. What should I do, thanks.
Old 05-08-2005, 11:41 PM
8 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Get Your Suspension Set By Someone Like Rick Stevens, Richard Pitree, Madman... Do Not Try To Do It Yourself... I've Told You This Already... Listen To Someone With Experience.....
Old 05-09-2005, 04:32 AM
9 Second Club

Mt front end is a little lower than my rear is. I think 4 inches is excessive, but I guess it depends on your set up. Get a set of Hals and adjust it.
Old 05-09-2005, 12:37 PM
9 Second Club NA

Chris, honestly, I dont have money to spend to pay someone to adjust my suspension right now. If I did, I would definately do it. I have every piece of suspension out there. There's really not much to setup besides the torque arm which I have it set at -2º. I run my front shocks at 3 and rears between 5-6. The only thing I was wondering about in this post was setting the front ride height. Should I leave it or lower it and if so, how much? Its not that difficult.

tektrans, as of right now, my front end has more gap. I have Hals. If adjusting is what I need, then what I was wondering was how low.
Old 05-09-2005, 07:34 PM
Motorboater

lowering the front will typically gain some mph, really shouldn't effect anything else.

however, being way too low could theoretically harm your sixty foot cuz the front will have to travel too far to unload totally if its way slammed down.

if you have 4 inches of fender gap that is too much, i would aim for 2 and try that.
Old 05-09-2005, 08:55 PM
9 Second Club

The higher the front the more weight it puts on the rear of the car also. I found this out on the scales while just playing around with ride height. I don't know if it makes a difference though. Mine is right about even.

You think there is not alot of setting up to do but you would really be surprised what some people can do to your 60ft.
Old 05-10-2005, 04:26 AM
9 Second Club

I would shoot for about 2 inches like siverghost said. Mine is barely an inch but my springs are maxed out height wise, guess the iron block is a little heavy .
Old 05-11-2005, 01:20 PM
Teching In

You want the car to be as level as possible. If the front is lower than the back it has to travel farther to transfer the weight and in turn changes the leverage point. Where as if the front is higher less momentem is needed to transfer, but if the front is too high it will begin to give problems with controling the car as it goes down the track, as well as when you hit the brakes you will now be disturbing the car and throwing the weight to the front causing possible control issues again. Dont forget that the main goal is for the rear tire and fender to seperate away from one another (planting the rear tire into the ground)
Old 05-11-2005, 02:46 PM
9 Second Club NA

What is considered level if you have taller tires in the rear than in the front. I'm sure they're about the same in height right now because I'm running 26x10x15 ET Drags and 165R15s. Now I plan on stepping up gear and tires, so then the rear tires will definately be bigger. With the current tires, there's approximately 3 inches of gap in the rear and thats with placing a straight edge on the middle of the tire and keeping it level all the way out to the fender lip, and 4 inches of gap in the front.

Quick Reply: Does front ride height affect 60 ft., 1/8, or 1/4 mile?