Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Do I need this useless shit?

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2005, 02:05 AM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Do I need this useless ****?

Im in the preosses of removing the fron bumper support. The Air dam and the 2 pices that connect to it on each side are off. Do I need to put thes back on or will it be Okay with out them If I fasten the nose cone a little better with some kind of custume brackets?
Old 06-03-2005, 06:37 AM
10 Second Club

I have nothing at all left behind my bumper. No supports, lower plastic, no fender wells, and half the bumper itself was cut undernieth to make room for a tranny cooler behind one of the air inlets. The bottom half is alittle floppy and even shakes when the car is idling but it hasn't flexed enought to start spider webbing. The top half is pretty stiff and suprisingly the bumper doesn't sag. I did have to cut those nubs off the front of the fenders and replace them with bolts to tighten up that seem.
Old 06-03-2005, 06:52 AM
10 Second Club

Forgot to mention that you probrably want to keep the lower airdam that hangs down.
Old 06-03-2005, 10:49 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by GM Muscle
Forgot to mention that you probrably want to keep the lower airdam that hangs down.
I don't think you can keep the air dam and remove all the plastic under the bumper cover? When I removed everything, the air damn came with. We used some thin strips of aluminum bolted to the lower part of the bumper cover to the radiator support for some added stiffness.

I've never experienced any kind of overheating issues not having the air dam. This is while running the Meziere race style EWP. If you change your fan settings in the PCM it should run plenty cool.

The only problem I can see removing the front undercarriage plastic would be leaving the horn exposed. When the horn gets a little wet it sounds like a baby mouse getting its nuts stepped on. "weeeeeeeeeeeeeep"
Old 06-03-2005, 11:58 AM
11 Second Club

Sounds good. One of the other reasons is because I ned the under covering for my 02 Im building. I may try to fit the air dam back under it and attack the innerfenders and the nose cone a little better
Old 06-03-2005, 05:00 PM
10 Second Club

You can keep the airdam without the plastic. You won't be able to use the bolts on each end but the 5 or 6 in the center can be used. Also, if your removing the inner fender wells and the car sees rain, you'll have to build a plate to seperate the door sills from the wheel well. Otherwise all the **** that comes off the tire and ends up on the door sill, and your door brackets will probrably start to squeek. Your coolant resvoir will also be exposed and could possibly crack from anything that might get thrown from the front half of the tire.
Old 06-03-2005, 05:28 PM
"The Drag Racing Director"

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If ya drive your hot rod on the street, you will need some of that stuff. I have done everything y'all are talking about BUT My Hot Rod is a race car!

Coach
Old 06-03-2005, 10:09 PM
11 Second Club

I drive the car maybey 100 miles a month and it NEVER sees rain. Thanks for the info. This **** is Additive