Drag Racing Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

does heat and humidity (DA) affect NITROUS cars as much, not at all, etc..?

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2005, 10:03 AM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default does heat and humidity (DA) affect NITROUS cars as much, not at all, etc..?

back when i use to run N/A, my ET's would be about 3-5/10's slower and my Trap speeds atleast 4-6 mph slower in the summer compared to the winter.

Now with the additon of nitrous, how is the heat and humidity gonna to affect it? does it not matter now that I am using nitrous (btw spraying pretty much all the way from the 60' to the traps)

I think even with nitrous, my car is still going to be greatly affected by the heat and humidity. but some say that with nitrous, the air going in is gonna be the same temp while im spraying no matter what the temp outside is.

I know i didnt write this very well, but hope u all can understand what im getting at.
I'm looking forward to you alls opinions on this.
Old 06-09-2005, 12:03 PM
"The Drag Racing Director"

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I would think that your times arew still going to be greatly affected by the heat and humidity. I could be wrong with the DOPE but it is just really hot outside. NHRA/IHRA pros slow down in the summertime also.

Coach
Old 06-09-2005, 12:59 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

yes you are going to be greatly effected by our swamp horrid 99% humidity weather all summer Havoc. yes its true that nitrous vaporizes below zero but that only represents a small portion of the air going into the chamber. when you go racing in the winter time on the spray it will have an ever great effect due to teh density of oxygen.

i ran a few weeks ago and it rained before i got to run (they shut it down). no only was the track slick but my et and mph was greatly hurt by the poor quality of air.
Old 06-10-2005, 07:05 AM
TECH Junkie

+1

Another vote that yes you'll be affected.
Old 06-10-2005, 08:20 AM
10 Second Club

Thanks for the replies.

I went to bmp last night, even though it was 82 degrees and 87% humidity, still had a blast racing my friends, but didn't put any new great #'s although my trap speed went up 4 mph (even in this muggy *** weather) with the addition of the cam. come on november, i cant wait! 1!@
Old 06-10-2005, 09:28 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ran a 10.73 on a 93 degree day and then ran a 10.47 with identical setup on a 60 degree day.
Old 06-10-2005, 09:29 AM
kp
8 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good thing with N2o and hot weather is your bottle pressure stays up pretty well so you can make a decent showing when its hot out with a nitrous car compared to a n/a car. Naturally it wont be as good as running in cool weather with enough bottle pressure but you can still do OK when its hot with nitrous
Old 06-10-2005, 11:11 AM
Race your car!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

A nitrous car is gonna be affected just like verything else. However, there's another way to look at it.. a turbo or blower car is gonna be affected more then a nitrous car by the hot weather, and a N/A car will be affected more then a nitrous car too I'd think, as the nitrous is essentialy freezing the incoming air. will still be affected.. it's not gonna overcoem teh air temp's you are running in, but if you have a turbo car, a supercharged car, a n/a car and a nos car, all that ran identical times in cool dry air.. I'd bet that the nitrous car would fair better then the others when it's 90 outside.

my .02

Quick Reply: does heat and humidity (DA) affect NITROUS cars as much, not at all, etc..?