Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Heating Tire Problem....

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2005, 04:55 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Heating Tire Problem....

When i'm at the track, I try to heat my tires up to run (nittos) and it just seems that whenever I try to smoke the tires up, they just won't do it. They'll spin up to about 30 mph, but won't go any higher, and won't smoke at all. I don't know what the problem is. I'm pretty sure it's not the car being weak, because the car runs 12.7's all day long. The car is an auto, idk if that has anything to do with it or not, but any help would be appreciated! A4 2001 LS1 with Nitto 555DR's 315/35/17 if that helps!

Adam
Old 07-06-2005, 05:22 PM
TECH Regular

Received 22 Likes on 11 Posts

I don't know much about A4's, but don't they have something that won't let the motor rev above 2500rpm (or somethig like that) when the brake is on? My buddies 99 T/A has something like that.
Old 07-06-2005, 05:23 PM
Coy
TECH Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Nope, took mine (98 A4) to 5500 at the track while doing my burnout.
Old 07-06-2005, 05:26 PM
10 Second Club

Sounds like you are braking to hard. You should be able to lock the car in 2nd and bring it right to the limiter no problem. If you go to the track alot, invest in a line lock.
Old 07-07-2005, 12:50 AM
TECH Addict

My nittos (275/50/17) for some reason barely smoke at all on the track. They also won't hook worth a darn either, not matter how much I heat them up. I can bring the tires to any rpm I want and it doens't really matter. I usually do my burnout in 1st gear and let it sit at 4k until I see the rpms droppping by about 500rpm.

Funny thing is these tires will smoke like crap on the street and get very very sticky..

Matt
Old 07-07-2005, 03:44 PM
TECH Regular

mine won't smoke on the street or get sticky either..
Old 07-07-2005, 04:18 PM
9 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

dude just get a line-loc! You press a button, it locks the brakes on the front and releases the rears so you can do a good burnout!
Old 07-07-2005, 05:41 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

get a line lock. i tap the limitor nearly every time i do a burnout (7K) on my et drags and esp on my nittos.
Old 07-08-2005, 11:57 AM
On The Tree

well your tires arnt going to start to smoke until you get to about 45-50mph and you prob are breaking to hard. Once you start your burnout and the tires are spining around 30mph start to creep forward keep letting off the break and creeping foward you should be able to get just the front breaks working and are you burningout in drive or low or what i would put it in 2nd and romp on the gas

another thing you could try is doing a hardcore burnout in the water box and while your spining like **** in there slowly slowly roll out of it if you have it in 2nd you should be able to keep the RPM's up there. if all else fails by line lock
Old 07-08-2005, 01:43 PM
10 Second Club

I should have mentioned too that you can water the nittos alittle. I always watered mine. If your running regular sized tires in the front, drive around the water box, back into the edge of the water, give em a quick spin, roll forward acouple of feet, and then do your burnout. Like said above, try locking the car in second gear and just put the gas pedal to the floor.
Old 07-09-2005, 12:53 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by GM Muscle
I should have mentioned too that you can water the nittos alittle. I always watered mine. If your running regular sized tires in the front, drive around the water box, back into the edge of the water, give em a quick spin, roll forward acouple of feet, and then do your burnout. Like said above, try locking the car in second gear and just put the gas pedal to the floor.

I have a question. Sorry for the OT, but why does everyone recommend using manual 2nd gear to do burnouts. it seems like people tell me that all the time, but I find nothing wrong w/ using manual first.

At tracks like Martin Speedway in MI you can't drive around the waterbox.

Matt
Old 07-09-2005, 09:30 AM
10 Second Club

Well, you can put alot more heat in the tires quicker. And it's alot easier to control the burnout and keep the car off the limiter. I've found (even with my 2.73s) if you water the tires and heat them in first the car will be on top of the limiter real quick, esspecially when rolling out.

Also, I always found the Nittos liked a ton of heat when track prep isn't the greatest. My best 60's have come spinning them at 90-100 mph for 5-8 seconds. You might only get 50 passes out of them like that, but I always though it's a waste to run the car if it's not hooking. Just experiment and do what works for you.
Old 07-09-2005, 11:16 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by GM Muscle
Well, you can put alot more heat in the tires quicker. And it's alot easier to control the burnout and keep the car off the limiter. I've found (even with my 2.73s) if you water the tires and heat them in first the car will be on top of the limiter real quick, esspecially when rolling out.

Also, I always found the Nittos liked a ton of heat when track prep isn't the greatest. My best 60's have come spinning them at 90-100 mph for 5-8 seconds. You might only get 50 passes out of them like that, but I always though it's a waste to run the car if it's not hooking. Just experiment and do what works for you.

interesting.. Still I've never found it hard to control my burnouts in the water box .

matt
Old 07-09-2005, 12:10 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by buffman
interesting.. Still I've never found it hard to control my burnouts in the water box .

matt
you dont do the whole burn out in the box...... back into the water box put it in first and spin the tire like 4 5 times just to get water on them the pull up about 5 ft then put in 2nd pull it up to about 5500 rpms and side step the clutch and let them go. tires will heat up a lot quicker and you can keep it off of the Rev

doin a burn out in the water box is pointless a burn out is ment to heat up the tires and get everything off of them INCLUDING WATER. you might heat the tires up but the are still going to have water on them....WHICH MEANS NO TRACTION
Old 07-09-2005, 06:01 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Roush
you dont do the whole burn out in the box...... back into the water box put it in first and spin the tire like 4 5 times just to get water on them the pull up about 5 ft then put in 2nd pull it up to about 5500 rpms and side step the clutch and let them go. tires will heat up a lot quicker and you can keep it off of the Rev

doin a burn out in the water box is pointless a burn out is ment to heat up the tires and get everything off of them INCLUDING WATER. you might heat the tires up but the are still going to have water on them....WHICH MEANS NO TRACTION

hmm interesting yet again. No one has ever told me that. They just said go and burn the damn tires in the water box. Everyone I see usually just burns the **** out of them right in the box.

BTW I don't have a manual..

Matt
Old 07-09-2005, 06:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

your tire pressure might be a little high too. i've heard from friends that if the tire pressure is high, it wont smoke as much so just drop the air pressure down a bit and see what happens.
Old 07-09-2005, 08:28 PM
On The Tree

sorry forgot about the auto thing

pull into the water box spin the tires just alittle then pull up about 5 ft then barly hold the brakes put the car in 2nd romp on the gas and to let the mph go up as well as the rpms let off the breaks just a **** hair and let the car creep forward and then hold the breaks soft again
Old 07-10-2005, 12:44 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Roush
sorry forgot about the auto thing

pull into the water box spin the tires just alittle then pull up about 5 ft then barly hold the brakes put the car in 2nd romp on the gas and to let the mph go up as well as the rpms let off the breaks just a **** hair and let the car creep forward and then hold the breaks soft again

okay I'll try that next time.

As for air pressure, I've ran anywhere from 15-25lbs in these nittos and they still don't hook. I have a new set of LCAs coming to me to hopefully help, and I might be picking up some QTPs.

I don't think air pressure really has to do w/ how much smoke they roll off them. It's going to affect how much of the tire is being burned, but as in my video they had 34lbs in them and were plenty smokey
http://www.kzoorice.com/forum/mydir/...an/Burnout.wmv

Matt
Old 07-10-2005, 11:25 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by buffman
okay I'll try that next time.

As for air pressure, I've ran anywhere from 15-25lbs in these nittos and they still don't hook. I have a new set of LCAs coming to me to hopefully help, and I might be picking up some QTPs.

I don't think air pressure really has to do w/ how much smoke they roll off them. It's going to affect how much of the tire is being burned, but as in my video they had 34lbs in them and were plenty smokey
http://www.kzoorice.com/forum/mydir/...an/Burnout.wmv

Matt
your right tire pressure doesnt have anything to do with smoke

but i ran BFG's KDW's and i did 2nd gear burn outs on the track, street, parking lot, etc. and they never smoked the tires were spinning prob around 65mph to 70mph and never smoked...but my friend with a lightining had the same tires and we could only get them to become smoke bombs once the mph hit around 90 to 100

some tires dont smoke until they get really moving and some smoke if you turn the tire half a turn...its not about how much smoke comes off of them they car still going to get hot

and another thing to actully get the tires hot at all they have to be spining around 55 to 60 mph otherwise your really just wasting tire doing little 30 mph burnouts