Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

"Throttle ON" Shifting.... ??

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2006, 09:59 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default "Throttle ON" Shifting.... ??

I've heard this term thrown around a lot. Along w/ POWER SHIFTING...

What is the defiiniton of this...? Not trying to be a wise ***. THis is a serious question.

My meaning of POWER SHIFTING, is when I'm racing or tying to get the car to MOOOOVE. I'll be on it, disengauge clutch while letting slightly off throttle, engauge next highest gear, engauge clutch while rolling onto the throttle. Actually, Come to think of it. I think that I shift OUT of the gear as I am disengauging the clutch to slide it into the next... Kind of floating it OUT of gear... and using the clutch to get it INTO gear... What I do to get 2nd to break loose, or chirp. That Rolling throttle action...

Never paid much consious thought to it.I never though of exactly what my feet were doing, I do it so fast at times that I don't even think about it. Just soo focused on the 'Battle' at hand...

What is this "Trottle ON' Shifting you speak of??

Last edited by bayer-z28; 02-22-2006 at 10:08 AM.
Old 02-22-2006, 11:12 AM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

power shifting is keeping the gas pedal to the floor thoughout the whole run, not lifting at all....and praying that you hit all your shifts...if not could be on the engine
Old 02-23-2006, 08:03 AM
10 Second Club

Throttle on shifting and power shifting are the same thing... shifting gears with your right foot on the floor.
Old 02-23-2006, 08:28 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by JoeyAnderson
Throttle on shifting and power shifting are the same thing... shifting gears with your right foot on the floor.
Hmmm. I'll have to try both. I'd like to think that I can shift pretty fast. I don't fully lift up on the throttle, just a bit.
Old 02-23-2006, 04:19 PM
10 Second Club

even w/ the rev limiter you can blow the motor?

im starting to "get my feet wet" in the powershifting area. im just scared of smaking the limiter unless thats fine.

ive always just lifted and shifted fast.

-brandon
Old 02-24-2006, 04:50 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Demonicbird00
even w/ the rev limiter you can blow the motor?

im starting to "get my feet wet" in the powershifting area. im just scared of smaking the limiter unless thats fine.

ive always just lifted and shifted fast.

-brandon
Yes. The rev limiter only protects you from overREVVING the engine. WHen you miss a shift it forces the engine into a higher RPM. I've seen torn cramkshafts from PPL missing shifts and pulling a 12grand tach! -This one was out of a slant 6. The journal was snapped right at the counterweight.

I hit the limiter form time to time(accelerating). But once I hear/feel it I shift or let off.

Last edited by bayer-z28; 02-24-2006 at 04:57 AM.
Old 02-24-2006, 08:22 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

you can do the 2-1 or 3-2 shift speed shifting though. power shifting is hard on the tranny, clutch, rear end, and car in general........ BUT ITS SOOOO WORTH IT!!!!! haha

the feel when powershifting is good. first time i did it was at the track and i didn't even realize it. just kept getting more and more pissed, and shifting harder and harder till after one of the passes i realized i never let out any till after i saw the trap lights

just prepare to spend 850 on the tranny when you pop it (send it to t56joe and he'll get you a GOOD tranny)
Old 02-28-2006, 09:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Here's an old write up that I did when racing my Mustang, it might explain some things for you:

http://dodds.cc/chad/garage/drag_strip/powershift.htm