Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wolfe... You are needed here

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2006, 06:29 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Wolfe... You are needed here

https://ls1tech.com/forums/drag-racing-tech/518168-i-started-my-roll-bar-install-pics.html

Please explain why whoever answers the phone told me that it is legal to have the rear bars mounted to the rear weel tub.

I want my cage to be legal by NHRA standards, not by the person that wants to let it slide.

Thanks,
Kevin
Old 06-22-2006, 11:56 AM
8 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My understanding was that NHRA is only worried about the bars around the driver. So from the main hoop to the bars that come down by the dash. Even if you look at the SFI book they dont seem to mention anything but the cage surrounding the driver.

In short, i dont see why any NHRA person would complain about rear bars or forward bars when they are not part of the SFI spec
Old 06-22-2006, 12:14 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i have always thought the rear bars were for stiffening the chasis. the main hoop protects us in an accident.
Old 06-22-2006, 01:25 PM
kp
8 Second Club

A roll cage's main function is to protect the driver, thats the only thing SFI/NHRA cares about.

Kevin, just call your division tech director and find out who does the chassis certs near you and call and ask them. Make it 100% clear what you are talking about or send him some pics. He is the only guy who'e opinion will matter, once the sticker is on the car no one will say anything about it.
Old 06-22-2006, 03:04 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Outlaw
My understanding was that NHRA is only worried about the bars around the driver. So from the main hoop to the bars that come down by the dash. Even if you look at the SFI book they dont seem to mention anything but the cage surrounding the driver.

In short, i dont see why any NHRA person would complain about rear bars or forward bars when they are not part of the SFI spec
all my cert books show rear bars??[dont have books here ,but i will post picts tomorrow ]25-5 shows 4 different ways to do them ,and on material list its bars #s 51-51d

up here rear bars are part of the cert,, they even change the amount and sizes based on where the driver sits[helmet relation to main hoop] if they dont meet the thickness and other requirement[i.e. diam size, and the design of the rear of the cage also ,as to how many or how long, ] of the cert they wont give you one, like you say ,ive told him to check with his cert guy,
also page 217 of the NHRA rule book even breaks them down as to how many for different diam]
we are having a cert this sat the 24th i will ask our guy what he thinks as to weather the rear bars are part of the cert or not[i know i have seen him fail cars for wrong diam. bars]. i have spoke to Dan myself at wollfe,and his cages have certed with bars on tub, but he also said like i have said, before with NHRA its pretty much the certs guy interpatation, bob

Last edited by NRC-Motorsports; 06-22-2006 at 07:07 PM.
Old 06-24-2006, 09:03 AM
TECH Regular

Thanks for the replies guys, I just wish Wolfe would post up to let us know how they pass certification if it is not listed that way in the book.

I guess I will have to find out who does the certifications around here.

Last thing I want is to put everything in, then get kicked off a track because it is not legal.

Kevin
Old 06-24-2006, 09:14 AM
kp
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by Blown408
Thanks for the replies guys, I just wish Wolfe would post up to let us know how they pass certification if it is not listed that way in the book.

Last thing I want is to put everything in, then get kicked off a track because it is not legal.

Kevin
If you are really that concerned about it why not use the regular rear bars and be done with it. I'm sure they will trade them out or sell you a pair fairly cheap. My bolt in bar had the through the speaker bars and I just picked up a new pair of speaker grilles.

They wont kick you off the track for it, the may not let you go down the track in the first place because of it though. Once you put a cage in the car they will start looking at all kinds of stuff, you roll in with a 6pt and they never look at anything around here. Roll in with a 10pt and they start checking everything..
Old 06-24-2006, 10:29 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Blown408

Kevin
oops!

I guess it's not really a secret any more.

Thanks KP