Drag Racing Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HVAC removal & still street drivng it.

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2006, 07:12 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default HVAC removal & still street drivng it.

I was wondering how many people have removed their HVAC and still drove their car on the street. I don't have an AC or the lines and I was thinking about removing the reset of the system. Of course this isn't a daily driver car. It may see 4-5000 miles a year at the most. I'll mostly drive it in the spring and fall and late in the evenings in the summer.
Old 07-28-2006, 08:49 AM
TECH Junkie

Depends on whether you can tolerate not having AC or not... It can get kind of frustrating not have a defroster sometimes, especially on a really humid night or if you get caught in the rain.

I drove my old '98 on the street alot with no AC, no power steering, etc...
Old 07-28-2006, 08:59 AM
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by GeorgeC
Depends on whether you can tolerate not having AC or not... It can get kind of frustrating not have a defroster sometimes, especially on a really humid night or if you get caught in the rain.

I drove my old '98 on the street alot with no AC, no power steering, etc...
I pulled all my HVAC stuff out last year and did not regret it... but my car is a toy and not a daily driver... I just put in manual brakes and a manual rack... we'll see what that's like

On a side note, I ride an 00 Busa and my wife has an 00 ZX12R... what did you do to yours to get that kind of ET out of it?
Old 07-28-2006, 09:30 AM
TECH Regular

I'm used to not having the AC. I haven't had an AC in the car since I bought it. It needed a recharge when I bought it, but I never got around to it. I worked thrid shift so it was always cool when I went to and from work. Also my daily driver truck doesn't have an AC so I guess I'm somewhat used to that. BUT when I buy a new truck next year it will have an AC.

My main concern was the defroster, because I've never had the ac and I won't be driving it when its too cold either. I just worry about not being able to see. If I do the removal I guess I'll just have to keep me a towel handy.
Old 07-28-2006, 09:51 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by vmax1500
On a side note, I ride an 00 Busa and my wife has an 00 ZX12R... what did you do to yours to get that kind of ET out of it?
A bunch...

It's a 1397cc now, Ward Performance CNC ported head, big Web cams, and ~62" wheelbase. The 8.79 pass was on a small (~25hp) shot of nitrous, but the bike routinely runs 8.9's @ 155mph on motor in the heat of the summer.

All built and tuned by yours truely.
Old 07-28-2006, 10:42 AM
12 Second Club

for the windows fogging up, go to walmart and muy some rain-x antifog wipes, they work great!
Old 07-28-2006, 04:35 PM
9 Second Club

Mine didn't come with A/C so I won't miss it..... I'll just do rain x for the defog and drive it on the street occasionally... makes the engine bay look alot nicer i can tell you that...
Old 07-28-2006, 08:50 PM
TECH Junkie

I ditched mine for a mojave heater last year and have had no problems with it so far. I mounted it pointing up in the middle so when it's on it's like a defroster.
Old 07-28-2006, 09:55 PM
TECH Addict

Have any of you that did HVAC delete stuff remove the dash as well for custom dashes?

If so, what did you do for block off plates where air came through the sheet metal?

Quick Reply: HVAC removal & still street drivng it.