Drag Racing Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Those with 10pt cages (dash modification)

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2006, 01:49 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Those with 10pt cages (dash modification)

This is for everyone with 10pt cages...

I am in the middle of a show car interior and have a question about dash modification to fit a 10pt cage. The car in question is a 1998 Camaro and the front dash cap (with the ac vents, radio, etc) will be wrapped in carbon fiber. I do not want to get it wrapped and have to cut the **** out of it when the cage finally comes around a little bit down the road. So, did you all have to cut or modify the dash in any way to fit the cage? If so, I'd appreciate some pics so I can cut it first, then wrap over it so it looks almost factory. I appreciate it!
Old 09-15-2006, 02:47 PM
kp
8 Second Club

You will be WAY better off waiting until you get the cage in the car to do the CF. Not every one is going to end up in the exact same place depending on who is installing it, different brands all go through in different places also.
Old 09-15-2006, 03:26 PM
9 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You won't have to cut it up. Before you remove the dash mark the A pillar where the plastic top meets the padded part. When you remove the dash leave the top plastic part in, you can cut out the holes with a dremel tool little by little after the dash is in place.
IMO, you want to avoid having to cut the padded part of the dash.
You tell the fabricator you want the bars to come down on the front of the marks you make on the pillar.
Attached Thumbnails Those with 10pt cages (dash modification)-dash2.jpg   Those with 10pt cages (dash modification)-dash3.jpg   Those with 10pt cages (dash modification)-dash4.jpg  
Old 09-15-2006, 03:36 PM
9 Second Club

Those pics sucked. Let's see if these show better.
Attached Thumbnails Those with 10pt cages (dash modification)-dash1.jpg   Those with 10pt cages (dash modification)-dash2.jpg   Those with 10pt cages (dash modification)-dash3.jpg   Those with 10pt cages (dash modification)-dash4.jpg  
Old 09-15-2006, 08:18 PM
OWN3D BY MY PROF!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

tektrans, those bars look good. I really like how they hug the a pillar.
Old 09-16-2006, 04:25 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by Beaflag VonRathburg
tektrans, those bars look good. I really like how they hug the a pillar.

Thanks, the guy did a great job.
Old 09-17-2006, 12:27 PM
TECH Addict

The following pic is NOT mine, it is a painted dash piece. Mine will be cf but you get the idea of the part I am talking about. From the pics you posted it looks like it will totally miss this piece and only go through the "top" portion. My car is a Camaro so the dash "faces" will be slightly different, but it still looks like it will miss it totally.
Thanks for posting those pics tektrans-who did your cage?

Pics of the dash piece:

One more:
Old 09-17-2006, 03:51 PM
9 Second Club

You're very welcome. Neverlift Racecraft in New Jersey did the cage. Post up those pics when you get it done.
BTW, on the driver side the fabricator will have to cut some off of the firewall where that tube comes through. It's no big deal and that will also allow you to mount the fuses in the stock location.

Quick Reply: Those with 10pt cages (dash modification)