Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mini tub, fab 9 everything going in now some issues. pics soon

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2006, 07:37 AM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Mini tub, fab 9 everything going in now some issues. pics soon

Well yesterday I FINALLY got my billingsley fab 9 in and started the install. Here are all the issues I have confronted thus far. Im going to list everything I have gone through just to maybe let you have an idea if you wanted to do a simialar set up.

These are the components-

Billingsley FAB 9
Billingsley Anti-Roll
Strange rear brakes
Weld 15x10" with 5" backspacing wheels (had to run a drill bit through to fir 5/8 wheel studs)
Mickey thompson 315/60.15 drag radial
Wolfe Mini Tubs
Wolfe adjustable spring perches
MADMAN offset lower control arms
MADMAN Torque arm
MADMAN shock mounts
AFCO shocks

Here is whats going on, The tubs are in and done as you may have seen from prior posts. I put the rear under the car on a motorcycle jack and mounted the lower control arms to try and align it somewhat but found the thing sat very far back. I adjusted the control arms to be as small as possible and the still seem pretty long. I took my old ones out and they are non adjustable and they are same length so I knew it wasnt the control arms. Im pretty sure it will work but then the sring perches will barely fit. They are going to have to get cut up alot towards the back or else it will hit the back of the spring area. So where exactly to wels the spring perch is an issue. Also I went to put a wheel on and talk about a pain in the *** and the brakes arent even on. The plastic is hitting almost everywhere. I know its going to go up in the wheel well more but do others cut the **** out of there plastics to get these to fit better? Also should the shocks and springs be pretty much straight up when they are intalled? Im pretty sure as long and the spring is straight everything else will install as it should. Well ill keep you guys updated with some pics soon and other things that may be of interest or if I need help.
Old 09-27-2006, 08:13 AM
On The Tree

I had to cut the back of the new perch mounts to get the springs to line up straight.From what I have seen,and from my own personal experience,they have to be cut to fit correctly.Here's a pic of my driver side.
Attached Thumbnails Mini tub, fab 9 everything going in now some issues. pics soon-img_0750.jpg   Mini tub, fab 9 everything going in now some issues. pics soon-img_0748.jpg  
Old 09-27-2006, 08:17 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You will have to cut the plastic. Also cutting the upper perch is correct. The spring needs to be as straight as possible. The shock will have some lean to it so dont worry about that.

225-343-9029
Old 09-27-2006, 11:16 AM
10 Second Club

sounds like what I was thinking I just didnt want to start hacking away and find out I messed something up. Thanks for the help. Madman is there anyway I can contact you for some advice on how some of my suspwnsion should be set-up? I will be having it aligned but what should it go to? I know some messing around will be required but I woul dlike some sort of a starting point. Or just tell me on here what you think according to the suspension components I have. Thank you both I guess ill start cutting and welding when I get back home.
Old 09-27-2006, 12:01 PM
TECH Resident

i trimmed my bumper and left about 3/8 inch of the lip on it, then i took the bracket that the bumper is held to on the bottom and bent it around to the outside of the car and shot a screw through it and the bumper.. bow's the bumper out a bit, but not enough that someone would look at it and notice...

the fun has just started, wait until the rear is up in the car and you have to mod the tunnel for the torque arm/mount..unless your cars not going to sit to low, but even then i think you need to make room

jay
Old 09-27-2006, 01:15 PM
9 Second Club

Is it your set-up that requires the trimming for the MM tq arm? I was going to get one but not if I have to hack my car up like that. It is a daily driver....moser 9" lowered ~1--2".
Old 09-27-2006, 02:39 PM
Launching!

I had the exact same issues...only my chassis guy plug welded to spring perches in before he even had the rearend .It made for a real mess and alot of work. Here is what we ran into. We ended up cutting the perch off and I got 2-more screw-ends of the perch from Wolfe and re-centered the spring and THEN welded it in the SECOND time.
Attached Thumbnails Mini tub, fab 9 everything going in now some issues. pics soon-5-25-06-009.jpg   Mini tub, fab 9 everything going in now some issues. pics soon-5-25-06-010.jpg   Mini tub, fab 9 everything going in now some issues. pics soon-5-25-06_005.jpg   Mini tub, fab 9 everything going in now some issues. pics soon-5-25-06_002.jpg  
Old 09-27-2006, 03:04 PM
10 Second Club

Well the torque arm situation doesnt sound too fun... . Another question I have is where does the anti-roll mount??? This has me a little confused. It is welded to the rear but the 2 bars/tabs with the holes.. where do they go? Thanks.
Old 09-27-2006, 03:52 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 1999TransamWs6
Well the torque arm situation doesnt sound too fun... . Another question I have is where does the anti-roll mount??? This has me a little confused. It is welded to the rear but the 2 bars/tabs with the holes.. where do they go? Thanks.
on the body..in line with the anti-roll
Old 09-27-2006, 04:07 PM
9 Second Club

Soooooo....

Is this problem with the toque arm because of your other modifications???

Will I have to notch my tunnel like you did??? I will be using a full length moser 9" and the madman TQ arm.
Old 09-27-2006, 04:42 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by jshiver
on the body..in line with the anti-roll
the roll bar doesnt even reach the body.Should I have another piece or something? I have more pics in my photo bucket. One will show the anti roll problem and another is my shock is kinda hitting the shock mount as you will see. What do you guys think I can do to fix these issues? Also what do you guys think so far?
Old 09-27-2006, 05:00 PM
TECH Resident

the roll bar doesnt even reach the body.Should I have another piece or something? I have more pics in my photo bucket. One will show the anti roll problem and another is my shock is kinda hitting the shock mount as you will see. What do you guys think I can do to fix these issues? Also what do you guys think so far?

this isnt mounted the same as your but you'll get the idea..

see the 2 arms hanging in this pic? you should have little adjustible bars with heims on them that bolt to those and the the brackets would go on the other end and get welded to the "frame"(unibody) infront of the rear...

heres a link to the anti roll you have installed.. you can see the bars in front..
http://www.billingsleyracing.com/bil...rinstruct.html
Old 09-27-2006, 05:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

man, look ugly and sounds like one big head ache, im sure the end results will be worth it tho, it will be sick
Old 09-27-2006, 05:33 PM
10 Second Club

NRC-Motorsports. Ok I think I got it im going to see if I have those little rods in the box with my brakes. On the frame do they just go anywhere? There should be a tab im assuming that gets welded also correct?

94z28L- Yea it is a huge pain but im sure once it gets on the track that first pass will make it all worth it. My best 60' before was a 1.58 and im hoping to get deep in the 1.30's and a 1.2x wouldnt hurt....
Old 09-28-2007, 01:01 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You will have to cut the plastic. Also cutting the upper perch is correct. The spring needs to be as straight as possible. The shock will have some lean to it so dont worry about that.
Would it mess up anything by moving the lower spring perch forward 1/2" to 3/4"? I'm having the same issue just not as bad. I placed the upper Wolfe perches in the stock location and I have about 1/2" to 3/4" of misalignment. It would simple to move the bottom forward a little.

Quick Reply: Mini tub, fab 9 everything going in now some issues. pics soon