Drag Racing Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Race harness for street use also???

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2006, 03:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Default Race harness for street use also???

I plan to remove my facotry seat belts and run 5pt race harness belts. My car will be a street/strip car but mostly a street. I was wondering if it was legal to run those harness belts on the street.
Old 11-19-2006, 03:09 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's technicaly not DOT legal. I removed my factory belts and use Stroud Harness', my insurance guy didn't say anything when he looked at the car but, we really don't have any seat belt laws in this state.
Old 11-19-2006, 09:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

LOL i got a no seatbelt ticket a 1 1/2 years ago when i was wearing my bright red 5 point harness...can you say power trip female state trooper?

any other time i've been pulled over (10 or so times) the cop hasn't said anything.
Old 11-20-2006, 01:10 AM
TECH Fanatic

i dont see why the hell they would say **** about it considering that it would restrain you better when done properly that a traditional seat belt
Old 11-20-2006, 03:49 AM
9 Second Club

The seatbelt and airbag work as a system together. I don't think it's legal and if you have a DOT car and you get into an accident (God forbid) and you get injured I'm sure the insurance Co's will look for any reason not to pay out.
Old 11-20-2006, 07:37 AM
kp
8 Second Club

There are no DOT approved race hrnesses out there, since they cant comtrol how they are mounted its impossible to make them street legal. That would be like giving a chassis certification sticker if you bought a roll cage kit

But I have used them for years on street driven cars, once you remove the airbags the stock seat belts are fairly useless since they are designed to work with the air bags.
Old 11-20-2006, 02:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

DOT officers work at my local track. The officer told me it would be legal to use our 5 points on the street. He didn't look it up , but he did say it would be legal. I live in Fl.
Paul
Old 11-20-2006, 03:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by NastySSoo
DOT officers work at my local track. The officer told me it would be legal to use our 5 points on the street. He didn't look it up , but he did say it would be legal. I live in Fl.
Paul
They are not DOT approved because of the fact that the installation/use of such products cannot be controlled by the manufacturer.

Yes, they would do better at protecting you, but no they wont fly on the street.

Ive recieved tickets in FL for wearing the 5pt and not the stock 3pt. My buddy got a ticket thanks to a DOT officer that he bumped into (rear-ended the DOT car ) for wearing his harness as well.

Bottom line, in FL anyway, if the cops a ***** on a power trip your gonna get a ticket. If the cops cool and likes your car, you might get lucky
Old 11-21-2006, 09:05 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Fire67
They are not DOT approved because of the fact that the installation/use of such products cannot be controlled by the manufacturer.

Yes, they would do better at protecting you, but no they wont fly on the street.

Ive recieved tickets in FL for wearing the 5pt and not the stock 3pt. My buddy got a ticket thanks to a DOT officer that he bumped into (rear-ended the DOT car ) for wearing his harness as well.

Bottom line, in FL anyway, if the cops a ***** on a power trip your gonna get a ticket. If the cops cool and likes your car, you might get lucky
Thanks for the info. I'm gonna leave my 5 point in simply cause it would be a non-moving violation(no points) just like not wearing a seatbelt at all.

Paul
Old 11-22-2006, 09:11 AM
TECH Fanatic

Your correct on it being a non-moving violation. But enough of the tickets will ratchet your insurance cost up more than a few moving violations. My wife's an insurance agent, shes had more clients get canceled/raised rates because of seatbelt tickets than moving violations.

But Im doing the same. Forget the factory seatbelts, just rock the 5pt harness. You'll only get tickets from the cops that hate because they cant afford a nice @ss F-body like you
Old 11-24-2006, 12:55 PM
On The Tree

This question was brought up here when the guy I bought my car from asked one of his local cops about it and the guy told him that it was illegal. Had a friend of mine that is a local reserve officer do some research on it and he came to the conclusion after talking to several people, including the county safety officer that there is NO law in OK stating that it is illegal. The safety officer is also a dragracer and said that he didn't see why there would be a problem with them on the street as they are safer than stock seatbelts. So just because they aren't DOT approved doesn't mean they are illegal for street use due to the fact that they are safer when properly installed and used.
Old 11-24-2006, 09:27 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by 98NBMZ
This question was brought up here when the guy I bought my car from asked one of his local cops about it and the guy told him that it was illegal. Had a friend of mine that is a local reserve officer do some research on it and he came to the conclusion after talking to several people, including the county safety officer that there is NO law in OK stating that it is illegal. The safety officer is also a dragracer and said that he didn't see why there would be a problem with them on the street as they are safer than stock seatbelts. So just because they aren't DOT approved doesn't mean they are illegal for street use due to the fact that they are safer when properly installed and used.
It IS illegal. You're modifying the restraint system in your car. YES it is safer if installed correctly, but the DOT can't verify every installation. That is why they are not DOT approved. The friend of a friend is just bending the law because he's a racer. See it from an insurance POV and you'll see why.

Nate
Old 11-24-2006, 11:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

k now here in lies the problem, people who actually know their **** and install the harness right will not have a problem, however the stupid morons who install a 5pt just because "it looks sick" and dont do it right are the ones who will end up killin themselves and is probably why it isnt always legal
Old 11-27-2006, 01:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

The harness itself isn't illegal.

Not wearing the stock seatbelt is the thing that's illegal...

You could always have both in the car. Yeah, it's "belt AND suspenders", but it's an option.
Old 11-27-2006, 04:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by John_D.
The harness itself isn't illegal.

Not wearing the stock seatbelt is the thing that's illegal...

You could always have both in the car. Yeah, it's "belt AND suspenders", but it's an option.
Yep because its not DOT approved, but the stock seatbelt is

NOTHING is street legal unless it is specifically DOT approved.

Quick Reply: Race harness for street use also???