Drag Racing Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is it possible to run stock rear brake lines to manual mstr cyl?

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2006, 06:32 PM
9 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Is it possible to run stock rear brake lines to manual mstr cyl?

I have a strange master cylinder from billingsley racing with the built in line lock and my intention was to cut the stock rear brake line at the frame, flare the line with a union and run it straight up to the master cylinder....... problem is is that it seems the rear brake lines are metric..... my master cylinder uses 3/8" line...... I know Brady Mcnew's car used teh stock rears but I can't seem to figure out how the hell to flare the line OR how to get a union that will connect to one side metric and one side standard..... There are pictures of this setup of Teamprickracing.com but I can't for the life of me figure out exactly what parts I need....... the flare took I have won't flare the rear line without pushing it right out of the flare block.....

HELP!!!!!!! TIA.....
Old 12-18-2006, 06:37 PM
9 Second Club

included a pic of brady's setup... the line going to the rear is the line i'm talking about.... unless that line was custom run (it does look pretty clean) then that "union" fitting between the two is what I need..... but i still don't or can't figure out how the hell to flare the line.....

maybe I need a metric flare tool??? Do they even make one????

Old 12-18-2006, 06:53 PM
TECH Regular

That "union" looks like a compression fitting to me...The lines would be cut square. No flaring needed. When you slide the fitting on the lines and tighten it, it will compress the lines.
Old 12-18-2006, 06:54 PM
8 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i used a compression fitting to join the stock line i cut at the firewall to a piece of line from the autopart store that is already flared.
Old 12-18-2006, 07:03 PM
TECH Regular

this is basically what you are looking for...When you slide the tubing in each end and tighten it, the ferrels inside the fitting will compress the tubing causing it to seal.
Old 12-18-2006, 10:05 PM
9 Second Club

Cool.... So do I need a metric compression fitting at the stock rear line side???? and then on the other side just a normal standard flare fitting????

The guy at the autoparts store did mention a compression fitting but said I might have an issue getting it to seal... you guys didn't have any issues with the brake line leaking at all at that fitting???? If not i'll go down tommorrow and buy me a fitting...

thanks for the help...
Old 12-18-2006, 10:25 PM
TECH Addict

Hate to say it but now is the perfect time to put new brake lines on your car. They are more then likely fairly old and those compression fittings are dangerous
Old 12-19-2006, 09:36 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can flare a metric line using a 3/16" flaring tool.

If you use the full length on the depth gauge the flare will come out a little large, and may not want to bottom out in the fitting all the way.

If you set it just a little short, the flare will turn out smaller (and straighter).
Old 12-19-2006, 12:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

SJM uses some sort of SAE size flare fitting on the metric line... He sells the tool with his abs delete kit, the tool is modified slightly to get a tighter clamp on the line.

I had to flare a 'T' fitting to the single line coming from the master as my car had TCS originally... Whatever type/size of flare fitting it was I dont know, wasnt your average straight flare, but it worked well whatever it was. No leaks at all.

Id contact SJM (Sponsor) and see if he'll shed some light on what he used to adapt the stock metric line to his SAE sized line.
Old 12-20-2006, 07:20 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 70 Likes on 62 Posts

Thumbs down Someone is...

smoking a controlled substance. Using a compression fitting on a brake line, is a good start toward winning the Darwin award.
Old 12-20-2006, 10:51 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Old Geezer
smoking a controlled substance. Using a compression fitting on a brake line, is a good start toward winning the Darwin award.
agreed...i would use one of those on anything over 150 psi
Old 12-20-2006, 04:21 PM
9 Second Club

Don't use the comp fitting on brakes
I used the stock line and just flared it to fit my line lock
Old 12-20-2006, 04:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Like I said, SJM's kit comes with fittings and a flare tool to put std size flares on the metric line. He just mods the tool to clamp the tube a lil tighter.
Old 12-21-2006, 08:41 PM
9 Second Club

SJM is a sponsor on this site?????? Cause if I can use a standard flare tool I'll buy the thing right now.....

Cause I'd rather use a standard flare fitting than a compression fitting..... Autoparts guy said if I did use a compression fitting it's hella dangerous.....

I kinda wanna have brakes... thanks for the help in this guys.... looks like i'll be calling SJM.....
Old 12-22-2006, 09:21 AM
FormerVendor

FWIW, Technically, both are compression style...the one pictured above is a ferrule style which should not be used as others indicated. I heard your message this morning and returned the call but you were unavailable.

Our website phone number has not been updated from our recent move of the shop. The old number is still ported, the new number is 724 478 5580
Old 12-22-2006, 09:30 PM
TECH Resident

There is such thing as a metric flare tool. I tried the same thing as you with a standad one. It would push the line out of the block. Get the metric flare tool and a standard nut. Put it all together and it works perfectly.
Old 12-23-2006, 05:21 PM
9 Second Club

Cool. Thanks guys for the info.... Steve I returned the call but I think you were out. I know you're shutdown for the holidays so i'll give you a call when the holidays are over and i'll place an order for what you've got....