Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Quick Tire ?....

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2007, 10:30 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Quick Tire ?....

Ok, I usually run the 28x10.5x15S ET Drag (Stiff Sidewall), but my tires are totally shot, i'm a little strapped for cash and one of my buddies has a set of the regular 28x10.5's with like 2 runs that he said he'd give me for free cuz I have a little grudge match with a supercharged mustang coming up next friday (****** traps 150, but runs like 9.3's or so, so i'm gonna have to destroy him out the hole to even have a chance, expectin to go close to mid 140's with the little extra power i've added)! So my question is, is the non stiff sidewall gonna affect my 60' at all, like is it gonna hurt it? Cuz I figure the stiffer sidewall probably helps me get out and goin a little faster since it probably doesn't wrinkle as much as the regular sidewall, but I don't see how much diff it could be, could it make a big diff? Thanks for any opinions guys, just curious what to expect next week. Any suspension adjustments you would recommend changing from the regular setup with the stiff wall? It's funny, my car is still dead hooking my shot slicks that are on there right now, but there is no tread hole left at all and i'm just a little nervous to run them since they're so used up, don't want one blowin on me goin through the traps @ over 140, i've probably got close to 150 passes on the set at least and they've been on the car for like a year and a half i'd say!
Old 01-24-2007, 11:19 PM
10 Second Club

the tires should be fine.

BTW- is this by any chance a sliver notchback from pensacola?
Old 01-25-2007, 07:52 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

the stiff sidewall is the best setup for ya devon but your suspension is set on kill. i dont think it will make a huge difference at all. good luck!
Old 01-25-2007, 08:07 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You racing him in Bradenton? when? I might head to watch.
Old 01-25-2007, 08:30 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by SSwanner
the tires should be fine.

BTW- is this by any chance a sliver notchback from pensacola?
Nah, it's a black SN95 style stang.
Old 01-25-2007, 08:33 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by gator's 99TA
the stiff sidewall is the best setup for ya devon but your suspension is set on kill. i dont think it will make a huge difference at all. good luck!
Yeah, I know, I love the stiff sidewall tire, but right now beggers can't be choosers, money's been tight, that's why I was just wonderin if it would really hurt me with the regular wall, I hope it doesn't make too much of a diff!
Old 01-25-2007, 08:39 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by FEAR THE LS1
You racing him in Bradenton? when? I might head to watch.
Yup, BMP next friday Feb 2nd at DH3. I haven't gotten a chance to get my fogger yet, so my buddy let me borrow his dual stage nx maf kit, gonna finish hookin that up today, and gonna use a 300 shot off it, and with the extra power i've picked up from the 90mm intake, I think I should hit mid 140's on the same 300 shot, so with the way the car 60's, i'm thinkin I might see 9.2's possibly! I also gotta finish tuning the damn thing, it's been out of whack ever since I put the 90/90 on. I got efilive and a wideband, and i'm still havin issues, hopefully I can figure it out, it's mainly annoying idling issues, like if I get everything set and perfect for idle, she'll idle awesome, but when I put it in gear she'll die unless I blip the throttle at the same time, but then if I open up the throttle blade enough so it doesn't do that, it'll surge really bad in neutral/park when the load isn't there, any suggestions for me? I'm going through logs right now trying to figure out what is diff when the car is cold compared to when warm, cuz when cold it won't even give a hint of dying when put in gear, so I gotta figure that out!
Old 01-25-2007, 09:23 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Loudmouth LS1
Nah, it's a black SN95 style stang.
Willie? Or one of those black mustangs that had a 6" cowl w/ a chute on the back at DHII?

IMO I think those tires may help your 60ft. Reason I think this is because of the rubberband theory. Softer sidewall will absorb more energy but only to rebound and shoot you forward. However, on the big end I think it'll sway more and mph may be down a tad (if you didn't change anything else for example). -Mark
Old 01-25-2007, 09:39 AM
kp
8 Second Club

I run both the S and non-S tire and the only difference is I can get about 20 more passes on the S tire before they go away. When they are both in their prime I couldnt tell the difference in 60 foot.

But used slicks are like used condoms, if they work thats great but if not you are kinda screwed
Old 01-25-2007, 09:45 AM
10 Second Club

If you're running Willie you will get him off the line, he usually 60's about a 1.5 if you tree him good and get out on him, he will have a lot of ground to make up.

i heard him mention that he is switching to a powerglide , if thats the story it should be interesting.
Old 01-25-2007, 11:32 AM
TECH Senior Member

I always thought the S tire does NOT last longer than the regular slicks. sounds like i hav ebeen misled. i know that you ahve a ton of passes on your old ones devon. intersting stuff. my next tire will be the S stuff.
Old 01-25-2007, 12:36 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Bitemark46
Willie? Or one of those black mustangs that had a 6" cowl w/ a chute on the back at DHII?

IMO I think those tires may help your 60ft. Reason I think this is because of the rubberband theory. Softer sidewall will absorb more energy but only to rebound and shoot you forward. However, on the big end I think it'll sway more and mph may be down a tad (if you didn't change anything else for example). -Mark
The Black Supercharged one with the big cowl and chute on the rear, not willie, willie doesn't 60' anything decent at all and has only gone a best of 9.95, so I woulnd't have to worry too much about a 1/4 race, but that bitch has some kind of mph!!!
Old 01-25-2007, 12:37 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by kp
I run both the S and non-S tire and the only difference is I can get about 20 more passes on the S tire before they go away. When they are both in their prime I couldnt tell the difference in 60 foot.

But used slicks are like used condoms, if they work thats great but if not you are kinda screwed
Sweet, that's what I was hoping to hear, these tires only have 2 - 3 passes on them!
Old 01-25-2007, 02:47 PM
kp
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by gator's 99TA
I always thought the S tire does NOT last longer than the regular slicks. sounds like i hav ebeen misled. i know that you ahve a ton of passes on your old ones devon. intersting stuff. my next tire will be the S stuff.
I can run the S tires all the way until you cant even see the wear indicators any more, the regular ones start going away after 50 passes (about 1/2 way on the wear holes). Guy from MT said he was surprised I got that many passes out of the non-S tires with my weight/60 foot.
Old 01-25-2007, 04:06 PM
11 Second Club

Not trying to highjack here, but I have a different question..

Say I have a set of slicks that are not wore out but are more than 1.5 years old. Are they still any good? These are 28x10.5x15 MT ET Drags by the way..

TIA
Old 01-25-2007, 04:10 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by STL2SLO
Not trying to highjack here, but I have a different question..

Say I have a set of slicks that are not wore out but are more than 1.5 years old. Are they still any good? These are 28x10.5x15 MT ET Drags by the way..

TIA
yea thats pretty much a thread hijack. lol
Old 01-25-2007, 05:33 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by kp
I can run the S tires all the way until you cant even see the wear indicators any more, the regular ones start going away after 50 passes (about 1/2 way on the wear holes). Guy from MT said he was surprised I got that many passes out of the non-S tires with my weight/60 foot.
Yeah dude, same here, like I said, like 150+ passes on 'em and no wear holes left and they're still dead hookin, hahaha!!
Old 01-25-2007, 08:21 PM
6 & 8 Second Club

My slow car runs 9.30 on nuts, and would not hook with the reg sidewall.
A .05 or more 60' with reg sidewall. I would try to get a test pass or 2 to be sure.
Maybe your set up is better, so good luck.