Drag Racing Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Whats the difference in a Pro Tree Tbrake and a Bracket racing Tbrake?

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2007, 09:10 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Whats the difference in a Pro Tree Tbrake and a Bracket racing Tbrake?

Whats the difference in a Pro Tree Tbrake and a Bracket racing Tbrake?
Old 02-05-2007, 10:43 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

From what I understand Pro Tree TB's incorporate a delay timer. Basically let go of the button when the first yellow lights up, TB releases .400 later.

Bracket racers that use delay boxes adjust the delay to compensate for driver reaction time.

So basically no diff in the actual trans brake, just a difference in how they're wired up/controlled.

I have mine on a button only, when I let go of the button the TB releases.

The main diff Ive seen in trans-brakes are the actual time it takes to unlock, some are faster than others. My tranny guy uses and recommends a Hipster's Brake, so thats what I have. He claims it is the quickest to unlock of all the ones he's used.
Old 02-05-2007, 11:38 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Fire67
The main diff Ive seen in trans-brakes are the actual time it takes to unlock, some are faster than others. My tranny guy uses and recommends a Hipster's Brake, so thats what I have. He claims it is the quickest to unlock of all the ones he's used.
I think the action time is the biggest difference between the two sportsman and pro tree brakes.
Old 02-05-2007, 12:00 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Pro TB are .01 to .2 quicker to release then a Standard or Bracket TB. Hipster builds both Standrad and Pro.

Your RT and type of tree depend on what brake will work best for you.
Old 02-05-2007, 12:09 PM
TECH Addict

The pro brake seems to hit harder than my last brake wich was the bracket styl. most braket style would have to be released before the last yellow to get a good light. the pro tree brake you pretty much let go as soon as the first yellow comes on on the pro tree. when ever i raced on a pro tree with my bracket brake the best i could do with ouit guessing was a .55 or so reaction (.4 being perfect) now i can red light if im fast on the bulb.
Old 02-05-2007, 12:22 PM
TECH Regular

With my pro-tree brake I can barely go red on a .400 tree in a backhalf car going in shallow. Just releases faster for guys that run pro-tree and has the added benefit of having to put the trans brake on in order to go into reverse (although it can also be an annoyance if you don't rig something up).
Old 02-05-2007, 01:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

so if you were bracket racing it wouldn't matter either way.
If you were heads up you would want the pro brake.
Is that right?
Old 02-05-2007, 02:47 PM
6 & 8 Second Club

Pro-brake releases quicker. They use a shorter fluid circuit so they have a tiny bit less travel before the release point. Never heard anything about hitting harder.
Old 02-05-2007, 03:53 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by brandonppr
so if you were bracket racing it wouldn't matter either way.
If you were heads up you would want the pro brake.
Is that right?
Correct. I know plenty of guys that bracket race and prefer to not have the whole reverse/pushing the transbrake button deal going on so they put regular brakes in.
Old 02-05-2007, 04:21 PM
8 Second Club

I personally don't know of any brakes that don't require activating them to use reverse.

The 'smart' thing to do is just to wire up a toggle switch that activates the brake when you want to back up. That way you don't have to hold your finger on the regular button while trying to back up / steer/ etc.

I can go red on a .400 pro tree with my 'sportsman' style brake. Just depends on how fast you are on the tree and how much power/how fast your car reacts.

Craig
Old 02-05-2007, 04:36 PM
10 Second Club

My rmvb TB'd TH400 does reverse without engaging the brake. Mine is a bracket brake fwiw-
Old 02-05-2007, 04:42 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by 1fastWS6
I personally don't know of any brakes that don't require activating them to use reverse.

The 'smart' thing to do is just to wire up a toggle switch that activates the brake when you want to back up. That way you don't have to hold your finger on the regular button while trying to back up / steer/ etc.

I can go red on a .400 pro tree with my 'sportsman' style brake. Just depends on how fast you are on the tree and how much power/how fast your car reacts.

Craig
I think at least a decent majority of the sportsman brakes don't need the TB for reverse but I could be wrong... Wouldn't be the first time.

I've got a toggle switch in mine too, it's the only way to go... I run a starting line enhancer so it's real easy to have the pedal suck down and let your foot down a tick and have a hell of a 60 ft. in reverse if you don't run the toggle switch.
Old 02-05-2007, 04:45 PM
8 Second Club

LOL....I saw a guy drill the throttle on the starting line (while still in reverse) one night. That was funny $hit right there since no one got hurt.
Old 02-05-2007, 04:51 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by 1fastWS6
LOL....I saw a guy drill the throttle on the starting line (while still in reverse) one night. That was funny $hit right there since no one got hurt.
IHRA/NHRA had to make a rule about dragsters not doing their burnouts then backing up stopping when they were staged because too many of them were forgetting to put it in low . I think the rule book now says that "your final staing move must be downtrack" or something of that sort.

The night my dad bought his car he almost backed it into the garage because of the pro brake without a toggle switch... That was one of the first things we did to his car and my car.
Old 02-05-2007, 04:53 PM
TECH Junkie

Yup, B&M uses Hipsters and our's doesn't need the TB to move in reverse.
Old 02-05-2007, 07:07 PM
TECH Junkie

As mentioned above it's nothing more than how quickly the tbrake releases (based on fluid bypass routing). There won't be any difference in how hard one hits over the other.

BTW, my TCI transbrake doesn't require engaging for reverse either
Old 02-07-2007, 04:24 PM
8 Second Club

Well, thats cool that some vb's don't need the brake engaged to back up. I'll have to look for one like that when I upgrade the one I have now.

Craig

Quick Reply: Whats the difference in a Pro Tree Tbrake and a Bracket racing Tbrake?