Drag Racing Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

So I want to start dragracing, where to begin?

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2007, 12:28 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Question So I want to start dragracing, where to begin?

I just finished my 2002 SS street car and LOVE it, however, I think I want to build something for the track only now using a new car I will buy (preferably another f body)....I want to start with a mild strip car, then work my way up to something that say runs 9's and lower as time goes on...I know I have to start somewhere...I have NO track experience as far as strip only cars goes other than what I have seen and helped guys work on...***never owned a real race car though***

Anyway, I realize this is a BROAD question, so I expect an array of answers...
I am not looking for specifics persay, but rather how others got started, how they chose a car, how they chose a motor, and how they went about progressing into the sport ie, licenses, finances, etcetc...

You can also mention what it costs to get started roughly with a decent stripper car that runs say consistent 11's and lower with all the appropriate safety features etcetc...

ALSO, what do I need to do as far as the NHRA is concerned with memberships etcetc?

THANKS!
Old 02-15-2007, 01:40 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

first thing you need to do- Buy a Snell approved helmet, find a local track, tell the Tech your new so they can help you out alil bit, then go run the car. See if you like it before you do anything else. If you like it, start with a good rear end and suspension. It might not make you the fastest thing around right now, but it will allow you to be later on... and not stuck on the side of the road
Old 02-15-2007, 02:35 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Just starting out like you are, you won't have to worry too much about safety regs (except for the helmet its cheap insurance). start by taking your street car to the local track and make some passes, It took me about 20 passes to get comfortable launching my car ( M6 ). Once you get comfortable with driving your street car at the track, you will start noticing things that you would like in a track only car, then you can start seriously looking for a stripper car.

Remember, don't forget to have fun.

Josh
Old 02-15-2007, 02:55 PM
10 Second Club

Get a helmet and take the SS out, get used to it then step it up.
Old 02-15-2007, 03:08 PM
lm7
TECH Fanatic

get a helmet, take the street car to the strip and make some passes, dont be intimidated everyone makes mistakes there first few times out but that is what its all about trying things out and learning. i think you will find drag racing to be pretty fun and once the street car gets boring... you step it up. remember to have fun its a hobby so you will spend so much money,you'll often hear a voice asking "is it worth it?" ignore that voice and tell her to go make you some dinner.
Old 02-15-2007, 03:13 PM
TECH Addict

hahahah you guys are the best!
I will definately pick up a snell helmet, and throw a DS loop on the car as I need one currently...
I will learn, have fun for sure, and then start making decisions..

I heard from a veteran racer once that it is easier for a beginner to buy a strip car that has already been built and that runs strong, preferably with a trailer so learning is a bit easier on a car that is solid...then later on you build your own...is this true?
Old 02-15-2007, 03:20 PM
lm7
TECH Fanatic

its cheaper in the long run to buy a purpose built race car, which is what you should do, but were not saying take the street car and start turning it into a race car. were saying take the street car to rip on it and get some passes under your belt... then youll have a taste for what type of race car youll want, IMO N/a means less headaches but thats up to you and deciding and building is part of the fun. to answer your question yes its alot easier and less stressful to have 1 daily driver street car and 1 purpose built track only car (if funds allow).
Old 02-15-2007, 03:44 PM
TECH Addict

cool...yeah i was thinking along the lines of a big cubed stripper, auto for easy launches as I have an M6 now, WHICH I LOVE, but do not like at the track necessarily...you never know though...
Old 02-15-2007, 04:06 PM
lm7
TECH Fanatic

yeah it will all be personal preference, but there is so much to choose from it makes it fun. off topic you shoot me a PM instead if youd like: who does paint for your goalie masks? im looking for someone to paint my helmet and i want some good detail./ off topic question
Old 02-15-2007, 07:07 PM
TECH Addict

If you love the M6 on the street, you'll love it at the track. I miss having the T56 everyday
Old 02-15-2007, 08:53 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by chpmnsws6
If you love the M6 on the street, you'll love it at the track. I miss having the T56 everyday

youre prob right...NOTHING like rowing those gears!!

like Todd on Pinks with that 42x CI SS
he had the 6 speed...NASTY (i think it was todd)
Old 02-15-2007, 09:01 PM
TECH Regular

For sure buy a car that is already a race car. I found mine running low 9's for 10k (with some risk involved) and I'm beyond glad I did. That way you don't have to buy the parts/pay labor for the rear and strengthening the body.

I would just buy a car complete on what your budget dictates but definetely try out your SS a few times first just to get a hang of it. I made 6 passes in my 15 second '69 and jumped straight into my 9 second '67 but fortunately for me my friends/family are all into racing as well... Going fast is fun and you meet a TON of kickass people at the track.
Old 02-15-2007, 11:33 PM
TECH Addict

What all is done to yours?
How many miles?

Have you thought about trading for an older LS1 thats already built? I've been thinking about getting out of such a race car and into a street car for a few years till life settles down.