Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bent Wheel Studs???WTF

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2007, 08:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bent Wheel Studs???WTF

A friend of mine has a 12 bolt Moser with Hoosier slicks and I have a 9" with MT DR's. Both of us on different occasions, at Gainesville Raceway, Gator Nationals fame, bent our 1/2" X 20 studs. I dumped my clutch as high as 4,500 rpm and dead hooked. My friend dead hooked as high as 3,800 rpm. The track is unbelievably sticky. A guy was pushing a dragster back off the track and he was actually walking out of his shoes. Couldn't keep them on they were sticking to the track.

Anybody else ever had this situation? We are going to use ARP studs now. We changed to this track recently because the traction was so bad where we used to go at Orlando Speed World.
Old 02-20-2007, 08:51 PM
9 Second Club

Are checking the lug nuts before racing? My welds seem to loosen up after a couple of passes so I check them before everyrun now. The reason I say this is because last summer my friend sheared off all of his lug nuts on one side and it was due to him not checking torque of his lug nuts. Funny thing is I told him about my welds loosening up on my and he gave me the impression like "whatever dude " after I told him. Your studs are larger than the stock size he was running, maybe your bending them not breaking due to there added size.
Old 02-20-2007, 09:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

My friend put his Hoosiers on at the track and used a torque wrench to tighten them. I've had DR's for about 1 1/2 years with no bent studs. It's just hard to believe that a track that hooks so good can bend the studs. The ARP studs surely won't bend.
Old 02-20-2007, 10:14 PM
FormerVendor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I have bent 5/8ths studs. Trying to drive throught tire shake is a bad idea.
Old 02-21-2007, 02:29 AM
10 Second Club

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Mine are ALWAYS loaded after a day at the track. they always spring straight when we take the wheels off
Old 02-21-2007, 01:44 PM
9 Second Club

I bent the ones that came with my Moser 12 bolt also, back then it was 6K clutch dumps on a 200 shot. Now I have 1/2in studs and an auto.
Old 02-21-2007, 02:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

I called Moser today and the guy told me the studs were grade 8 and they came from ARP and if we bent the 1/2" ones then we needed 5/8. I told him that me and my friend both were told the 1/2" were plenty big and they would handle way more rwhp than we put out. When I told him that, he says, well the track was too sticky. I also asked him what about the cost to drill and tap the axles and drilling the wheels. Not his problem.

I then called ARP. At first the guy says they don't make screw in studs only knurled. I then gave him the part #, and he goes ,DUH. Now he looks it up and says DUH again. Bottom line is that he says their studs are like three times as strong as grade 8. I don't know about that. Also he says if the Moser studs don't say ARP on them then they aren't ARP. I'll know more when I pull the old studs.
Old 02-21-2007, 02:35 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bigdsz
I called Moser today and the guy told me the studs were grade 8 and they came from ARP and if we bent the 1/2" ones then we needed 5/8. I told him that me and my friend both were told the 1/2" were plenty big and they would handle way more rwhp than we put out. When I told him that, he says, well the track was too sticky. I also asked him what about the cost to drill and tap the axles and drilling the wheels. Not his problem.

I then called ARP. At first the guy says they don't make screw in studs only knurled. I then gave him the part #, and he goes ,DUH. Now he looks it up and says DUH again. Bottom line is that he says their studs are like three times as strong as grade 8. I don't know about that. Also he says if the Moser studs don't say ARP on them then they aren't ARP. I'll know more when I pull the old studs.

Ive done the same thing...... BUT.. bent them and didnt know it and sheerred all 5 off.... while driving on the street... thank god i had just started moving at a light.......and the tire fell into the fender and held the wieght of the car... ARP also....

Im running 5/8 studs now.....

Kyle

Quick Reply: Bent Wheel Studs???WTF