Drag Racing Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pictures of my Custom Pin on (56K NO Way)

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2007, 12:02 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Pictures of my Custom Pin on (56K NO Way)

Well lately I have been doing alot of work getting my new hood mounted to the car. The hood was made by Joe Van Overbeek of Canada. They are custom order due to the time frame, customs, shipping and such. I ordered the hood through Stenod Racing out of Detroit, and it took a LONG time to get it. But it was well worth the wait.

I had to build the side rails with brackets, bend the round bar for around the head lights and the front of the hood, and more round bar for the back of the hood near the head lights.

Needless to say, this was one large project and I am glad its done. I hadnt ever bent up round bar before, but a little trial and error worked out great. It took alot of TIME and PATIENCE to get all the brackets tacked on where I wanted and so the hood would fit how I wanted it to.

I also had to trim the back of the hood on both sides to fit the fenders and the windshield. The hood comes with about 1/4" extra material on all the edges of the hood. I had to set the side gaps, trim around the hood and set those gaps, and set the gaps around the windshield. It was an interesting experience to say the least.

Now the hood is off to paint on monday, and hopefully have it back in about a week or so. I am doing a combination of the stripes from the '95 and something new.

BTW, Those are my new wheels on the front of the car. I like these alot better than the other ones I had.

A little blury

Last edited by SMKN TA 95; 03-18-2007 at 12:10 AM.
Old 03-18-2007, 12:10 AM
TECH Resident

Old 03-18-2007, 06:46 AM
Race your car!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

that hood's big, looks badass!

I don't think with my kirkey mounted on the floor I'd be able to see over that though.. it looks like the view might be cut off alot like that hood that wormboy had on his car.
Old 03-18-2007, 06:50 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hood looks great man! I got the same one comin'
Old 03-18-2007, 08:06 AM
9 Second Club

That's ALLOTA hood bro'. Very nice install. Looks Baddass.
Old 03-18-2007, 06:15 PM
TECH Regular

Nice work! That hood looks awesome. If you don't mind me asking how did you clean up the cowl even with the windshield?

BPD
Old 03-18-2007, 06:53 PM
FormerVendor

Now THAT'S a ******* hood!
Old 03-18-2007, 07:18 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by NO CATZZ
Nice work! That hood looks awesome. If you don't mind me asking how did you clean up the cowl even with the windshield?

BPD
x2 I'm very interested in seeing details on the cowl!
Old 03-18-2007, 08:30 PM
Launching!

where did you get those bad *** weld wheels from????????????????????????and what size are they...........
Old 03-18-2007, 08:46 PM
TS6
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nice, looks evil!

What size tire is that out back? Looks like a 325/50 but maybe bigger?
Old 03-18-2007, 08:50 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by Rogue86

I would assume he cut the old metal off and welded a new flat piece to fill in the hole you have after that. Numerous people have done it.
Old 03-19-2007, 08:20 AM
Launching!

Here's his thread on cutting the cowl...

https://ls1tech.com/forums/drag-racing-tech/627459-my-cowl-radiator-support-removal-pictures.html
Old 03-19-2007, 10:09 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Out of all the aftermarket hoods out there, this one is by far, the best looking hood out there for trans-ams !
Old 03-19-2007, 11:53 AM
Race your car!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

I do love the way that hood looks... but after sitting in my car again this weekend there is no way I could ever see over that.. I'd be driving by looking at the wall out the side window... not good.

If the guy that made that hood makes one that's about a 2 inch cowl, maybe I could get away with that... guy I know has a 4 inch vfn and I think even that is too high for me to see out. I mounted my kirkey right on the floor to get my head away from the roof and to get some more leg room, and it worked great for that, but adding a big cowl hood is now kinda out of the question.

I hate being tall/big sometimes.

On another note that cowl cut like that and refabbed does look killer, someday when my engine bay is empty I will have to refer to these pic's to copy that one.
Old 03-19-2007, 04:26 PM
TECH Regular

That is some beautiful work!
I was wondering if you had a cheap source for your dzus fasteners?
Also, did you make some of your mounting tabs or did you by them?
Thanks
Old 03-19-2007, 10:54 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Rogue86

There is another thread where I posted pictures of what I did on the cowl. It was not easy, but it wasnt anywhere near as bad as mounting the hood was. It took a few nites here and there to get the metal the way I wanted it and then welded it up. I also did the body work on that section too, and then had a relatives body shop paint it for me.

Originally Posted by JL ws-6
that hood's big, looks badass!

I don't think with my kirkey mounted on the floor I'd be able to see over that though.. it looks like the view might be cut off alot like that hood that wormboy had on his car.
I'm 6'7, so having my seat on the floor works perfect for me. I can see out of the hood just fine

Originally Posted by chevysol73
where did you get those bad *** weld wheels from????????????????????????and what size are they...........
They are Weld Alumastar one piece wheels. I bought them from Summit Racing. They are a 15 x 3.5" wheel with 2.25" backspacing. I love the wheels now that I see them on the car.

Originally Posted by TS6
Nice, looks evil!

What size tire is that out back? Looks like a 325/50 but maybe bigger?

The tires are the 315/60/15 Drag radial. These are the ones that are 30' tall, by about 13.5" wide. Helps to have mini tubs and a narrowed rearend ( 3" per side).

Originally Posted by Hawkn01
Out of all the aftermarket hoods out there, this one is by far, the best looking hood out there for trans-ams !
I really like the hood too This is the only hood that looks on these cars. The VFN hood looks like

Originally Posted by JL ws-6

On another note that cowl cut like that and refabbed does look killer, someday when my engine bay is empty I will have to refer to these pic's to copy that one.
Thanks Thats what those pictures are there for. When I looked for pictures for reference they all looked like crap. I knew what I wanted so I just marked twice and cut once. It actually came out better than I thought.

Originally Posted by CanuckSS
That is some beautiful work!
I was wondering if you had a cheap source for your dzus fasteners?
Also, did you make some of your mounting tabs or did you by them?
Thanks
Thanks I bought all the fasteners from Jegs.com Worked out the easiest. I actually have 20 of fasteners that you rivet into the hood that wont work for me. I needed a little more reach so I have 2 packs of 10 not that I cant use. Let me know if your interested in them.

Everything was built by me except for the tabs with numerous holes in them. Those I bought from Moroso. Any questions just PM me.
Old 03-20-2007, 11:15 AM
TECH Fanatic

that car is badass! How wide are the back wheels? That setup is exactly what i want my car to look like when i decide to go all out.