The front was pretty basic. The line from the master was 3/16 and so were the 2 fronts coming from the ABS unit. I bought a 3/16 coupling, 3/16 brake tee and some 3/16 brake line so I could just cut the flared ends off and use the fittings. I left the factory bubble end in the master and cut it half way down. I double flared the end and used the union and connected it to a new piece of 3/16 line from the store. I then cut off the factory bubble ends from the lines coming from the ABS unit. I slid on my new 3/16 flared fitting I cut off the brake lines I bought and double flared the line. Now the line coming from the master has a new 3/16 flared end along with the 2 from the ABS unit. Connect all 3 lines with a 3/16 brake tee and you done with the front.
The rear is the same except the line from the master to the ABS was 1/4 and the 2 from the ABS were 3/16. I bought a 3/16 female by M12x1.0 male bubble flare Metric Brake Line Adapter from the local autoparts store. Its made by Dynamic, part number is 1446-1. I deleted the 1/4 line from the master to the ABS, screwed in my new adapter that reduces it to 3/16 and repeated the steps above. All in all it was a simple job and took about an hour and a half to do. Total cost was about 18 bucks. If you dont have a double flaring tool, I rented on for free from a local Murrays. Autozone and Pepboys also loan tools for free. It cleans up the engine compartment and saves alot of money on a delete block!
Good writeup. Sometime in the future I may consider this mod for a little more weight savings. I know at times my lights come on underneath the dash indicating the ABS is not working when I put the skinnies on and the car stops fine at the end of the track. After installing the street aresopace brakes, it appears to stop even better than the factory brakes.
__________________ 99 SS WITH Stock Internals
Best ET: firstname.lastname@example.org@113.97MPH
4000 street Yank, 4.10 gears, S2 TB, Lane's Duals, 3400 lbs, ASAP Pulley, Strange Rearend, K member & light c. arms
I'm just going to bump this one with a little info..
I attempted mine over the weekend, the 3/16" lines are not too bad, the 1/4" is really hard to flare using the murrays tool. As tight as I can make the tool, the line is so thick that it still gets pushed through.. I believe the lines are metric and will pick up a metric tool set.. the SAE fittings just work well.. hard to find metric ones.