Drag Racing Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Good Lanuching tips and a good target time?

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2008, 01:03 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Good Lanuching tips and a good target time?

in the spring i want to take my 2000 TA to the track. This will be my first time to the track with slicks. What would you guys launch at etc, and techniques? Also what would be a good target time for my TA? Mods are in my sig.... I am also on weld draglights with MT slicks and skinnies

Last edited by jt76; 01-10-2008 at 11:15 PM.
Old 01-08-2008, 05:23 PM
9 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I launch at 6k and up depending on the track conditions. 6k with slipping the clutch netted me my best 60' (1.35). You have the drivetrain to handle it, but what about sfc's, lca, and other suspension related stuff. You'd be surprized how much that helps.
Old 01-08-2008, 06:07 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Stick it on the rev limiter and side step the clutch

I would think at least 1.6's if it hooks.

Check the tire pressure before each run.

Drive into the water and past it, don't burn out in the water, burnout on the damp strip of the concrete.

Do your burn out until your buddy tells you to roll out, be ready to get on the brakes, don't roll past the starting line.

Pull up to the lights and light up the first bulb, if the other guy is staged light up the second bulb.

If he isn't staged and hasn't turned on any lights creep up slow and just light the first light, nothing worse than trying to get up on a two step or on the transbrake when some ******* is taking all day to stage.

Rev up and keep your left arm on the arm rest, leaving hard tends to jerk your body so it'll help you from not pulling on the wheel.

Dump the clutch, if the car is driving hard to one way or the other get off the gas and steer the car, if it leaves straight, drive the car down the center of the line and watch for your shift point, don't try to super man shift it.

Get used to driving the car with slicks before you start miss shifting

Last edited by RAGENZ28; 01-08-2008 at 06:15 PM.
Old 01-08-2008, 06:13 PM
Banned

off the shiftlite

<----studderin
Old 01-08-2008, 06:40 PM
11 Second Club

Okay, it sounds as if he's never been to the track (driving) and you guys are suggesting 6K launch? I'm sure he would like to drive the car home with the rear end in tact. Start about 2500 or so launch rpm and work your way up as you feel comfortable. Look for the guys there w/slicks that actually invest money into their cars and talk w/them concerning track conditions, grooves, launching & such. Good luck.
Old 01-08-2008, 07:49 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Duffster
Okay, it sounds as if he's never been to the track (driving) and you guys are suggesting 6K launch? I'm sure he would like to drive the car home with the rear end in tact. Start about 2500 or so launch rpm and work your way up as you feel comfortable. Look for the guys there w/slicks that actually invest money into their cars and talk w/them concerning track conditions, grooves, launching & such. Good luck.

the car has a 9" with a spool and 35 spline axles, So I am sure that the rearend will be in tact. The car also has weld in subframe connectors and panhard bars with Qa1's in all four corners.

So launch the car wherever you feel comfortable, start lower and work your way up.

The car should go high 11's, all depends on the launch
Old 01-08-2008, 07:53 PM
On The Tree

you prob have but if you havent do the drill mod, i just did mine and it is sweet!
Old 01-08-2008, 09:55 PM
9 Second Club

but how do you do a burnout?......
Old 01-08-2008, 10:35 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by car_fixer
but how do you do a burnout?......
To do a burn out you'd pull the ebrake so the rear tires don't spin, then rev to 9k rpm and spin your aired down pepboy radials for 2 minutes, then roll past the starting line, back up, stage at the first light on the rev limiter for 15 seconds before the starter banged on the window and yelled move up

As far as the launch, you'd rev after having the car staged for 20 seconds, leave a full second and a half after the green light hit, then side step the clutch, spin the tires in first, bog the motor in second gear, miss shift 3rd then bounce it off the limiter for about 5 seconds, then break some thing and drag oil all the way down the middle of the track then run 18.50 at about 45 mph, with your fwd pile
Old 01-08-2008, 10:49 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by RAGENZ28
To do a burn out you'd pull the ebrake so the rear tires don't spin, then rev to 9k rpm and spin your aired down pepboy radials for 2 minutes, then roll past the starting line, back up, stage at the first light on the rev limiter for 15 seconds before the starter banged on the window and yelled move up

As far as the launch, you'd rev after having the car staged for 20 seconds, leave a full second and a half after the green light hit, then side step the clutch, spin the tires in first, bog the motor in second gear, miss shift 3rd then bounce it off the limiter for about 5 seconds, then break some thing and drag oil all the way down the middle of the track then run 18.50 at about 45 mph, with your fwd pile

thats funny i dont care who you are LOL but I ment for the original poster, as you described almost everything else except a proper burnout....but it was funny anyway, and stop picking on my fwd conversion, it will out run yours lol
Old 01-08-2008, 10:55 PM
TECH Addict

Dude I had a 40 shot of nawzz on my fwd 4 door nissan altima with the air box cut at the bottom for more air flow!

You don't stand a chance that thing would stall to 1800 rpm!
Old 01-08-2008, 11:00 PM
9 Second Club

oh so it was a autobiographical story i see......nawzz.....for people who dont know what they are talking about ( guy i know got a shirt that says that, then he wore it to the track for all the rice guys)
Old 01-10-2008, 11:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

thanks for the responses guys, i have been to the track once a week in the summer for the last 2 years lol, just never drove a car on slicks before.. I had a mid-low 13 sec mustang GT and drove plenty of cars on drag radials.. oddly enough i never took much notice to how people with slicks were launching or talked to them... just getting some ideas, im not going to do a wheelstand my first time up, nor do i want too lol.. im sure i will make plenty of mid 12 sec passes getting used to the car before i try to really launch it on slicks..........
PS Jay, (00badbird) you have no idea how bad it is to have to look at the car every day in the garage and not being able to drive it lol.. before the first snow (and the salt everywhere) i got the dealer plates again and gave the car a good run... it pulls like no other! i got some ceramic coated headers to replace the non coated ones and a set of BFG drag radials for the street.... hopefully im going to be able to pick up some heads this spring.. i will keep in touch with ya man
Old 01-12-2008, 05:28 PM
11 Second Club

dump the clutch at 5.5k with trie psi at 15. if u spin lower tire psi, if you bog raise rpm.

thats how i found the limit of the ls7 clutch =(