Drag Racing Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Kirkey Seats - Econo Drag or ProStreet Drag??

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2008, 04:38 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Kirkey Seats - Econo Drag or ProStreet Drag??

I sold my Corbeau CR1 seats and now I am looking at the Kirkey seats to replace them with.. The problem is that I can't decide on which seat would be best for me. I am a rather large guy at 6'4 300lbs so I will need something that is gonna be comfortable. I definitely want the 20* back and at least an 18" bottom. I'm just not so sure that the Econo seat would be the best choice because of the side bolsters coming out so far on each side. The ProStreet looks like it would be a better seat to get in and out of from what I can tell.. Is safety an issue between the two styles??

Am I on the right track here? What are you guys running?

Thanks!
Old 02-26-2008, 04:49 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,099 Likes on 721 Posts

Reason why some folks get the pricier seats is that they don't have that wing/arm that comes up, so they are easier to get over when you get in the car.
Old 02-26-2008, 05:14 PM
TECH Resident

Location: sneaking in your back door as you leave!/cartersville ga

i just oredered some pro-kirkeys. im not as big as you are, but the ones i had in my old cars were economy seats and they were not to comfortable. i have set in the pro's and i am hooked

Last edited by red83; 02-26-2008 at 07:25 PM.
Old 02-26-2008, 05:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by red83
i just oredered some pro-kirkeys. im not as big as you are, but the ones i had in my old cars were economy seats and they were not to comfortable. i have set in the pro's and i am hooked

pro---cloth covers=luxury
eco---sweaty a$$ vinyl

You can get the econo's without vinyl. In fact, summit only lists the nylon and tweed covers in "suggested parts" for the econo's.

Last edited by Harley-Davidson88; 02-26-2008 at 07:11 PM.
Old 02-26-2008, 06:55 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

black tweed= amazing

but then again that just may be the mexican in me talking.

I sat in a set of Kirkey Pro Drags and Jaz seat. the jaz fit me way better.
Old 02-26-2008, 07:24 PM
TECH Resident

Location: sneaking in your back door as you leave!/cartersville ga

Originally Posted by Harley-Davidson88
You can get the econo's without vinyl. In fact, summit only lists the nylon and tweed covers in "suggested parts" for the econo's.
youre right. i just didnt dig far enough
Old 02-26-2008, 08:38 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Pro Stock John
Reason why some folks get the pricier seats is that they don't have that wing/arm that comes up, so they are easier to get over when you get in the car.
Yeah thats exactly what I was thinking.. The wings or whatever you wanna call them do not look comfortable to me at all and it does look like it would be harder to get in and out of the car with those. I will be buying the Pro Seat for sure! Thanks for the help guys!

Also, are you guys mounting them to the floor or what? I have a cage in my car and being this big the old Corbeau seats had my head up in the roof practically and the halo bar was way too close to my head. So I was gonna get a Kirkey and just mount it to the floor and problem solved. Is there a bracket I need to use to do that or just drill and mount them??
Old 02-26-2008, 09:08 PM
Race your car!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

I have a set of the kirkey pro street drag seats, couldn't be happier. The ones I have are part # 41700, 17 inch wide, I'm 6'3 280 and fit in the seat pretty good, I wear a 42 inch waist pant size for referance. I have the seats mounted right on the floor, using the 2 rear factory rear studs and the back of the seat supported by the cage, and the seat is solid as a rock, I've even had a tech guy say it felt really solid, and gave it a thumbs up. I think the seats are available in an 18 inch wide, might fit ya a little better, after sitting in about every kirkey seat, I can say these are by far the most comfortable of all of them.

The layback angle is set too by how you mount it to the floor, mine is laid back a little more, just put the seat in with the 2 stock studs and you can tweak it back a touch to get to the cage, the area where the bolts are will conform, mine did anyway.

Being taller, my helmet was always real close to the ttop, and I hated that, now with the seat on the floor I have a ton more head room, and my right knee isn't plastered to the dash anymore like it was with the factory leather seats. I wouldn't take these out for anyone, hell if I ever get another f body as a street car, I'm putting a 4 pt rollbar in just so I have a way to mount these seats in it for comfort.
Old 02-26-2008, 09:24 PM
10 Second Club

Awesome info man! I appreciate that!

My main hoop has been moved back 4-5" or so and with the Corbeau seats I had they could recline back A LOT and I had more room in my race car than some of my street cars.. lol But, the problem was the halo bar. With the main hoop moved back 4-5" that brought the halo bar back that much as well. So it was all up in my way! lol Now it should be perfect with one of the Kirkey Pro's mounted to the floor!
Old 02-27-2008, 01:50 AM
10 Second Club

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

ProSeats all the way!

Old 02-27-2008, 05:18 AM
8 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

another vote here for the pro-street seat.
Old 02-28-2008, 03:21 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by JL ws-6
I have a set of the kirkey pro street drag seats, couldn't be happier. The ones I have are part # 41700, 17 inch wide, I'm 6'3 280 and fit in the seat pretty good, I wear a 42 inch waist pant size for referance. I have the seats mounted right on the floor, using the 2 rear factory rear studs and the back of the seat supported by the cage, and the seat is solid as a rock, I've even had a tech guy say it felt really solid, and gave it a thumbs up. I think the seats are available in an 18 inch wide, might fit ya a little better, after sitting in about every kirkey seat, I can say these are by far the most comfortable of all of them.

The layback angle is set too by how you mount it to the floor, mine is laid back a little more, just put the seat in with the 2 stock studs and you can tweak it back a touch to get to the cage, the area where the bolts are will conform, mine did anyway.

Being taller, my helmet was always real close to the ttop, and I hated that, now with the seat on the floor I have a ton more head room, and my right knee isn't plastered to the dash anymore like it was with the factory leather seats. I wouldn't take these out for anyone, hell if I ever get another f body as a street car, I'm putting a 4 pt rollbar in just so I have a way to mount these seats in it for comfort.
I'm was fixing to order those same seats but now I'm stuck debating. I'm 5'8" and 240lbs. (A short chubby mexican from down south, lol) Do you think the 17s would be too big for me? I'd hate to order 16s and then have them too small...I hate sizing stuff up...And I know I'm gonna have a hard time being short and having to look over a 3" cowl hood
Old 02-28-2008, 05:27 AM
Race your car!

You'll probably fit in the 17 inch seat, but like you said, depends on your build some. You can always get a bottle jack and spread the sides out if need be, but the 17 should be o.k. You will probably want to have a seat bracket fabed to get you up in the air some, being your height, sitting on the floor with a cowl hood, probably not a good idea.
Old 02-29-2008, 12:29 PM
TECH Regular

sorry to hijack your thread but sounds like you guys now what your talkin bout, I am in the process of getting cage and racing seats and tryin to decide between Kirkey's or somethin like corbeau or sparco how much weight are you saving going w/the kirkey's and how much comfort lost?
Old 02-29-2008, 12:40 PM
Race your car!

I didn't find the kirkey's to be uncomfortable at all. FOr a race car, you want the seat as solid as possible, so you can get some feedback from the car, and for safety reasons. The kirkey's I have (prostreet #41700) weigh 11 lbs a piece, and the cover is like 3 lbs each, stock power leather drivers seat my transam came with was 57 lbs for a referance.
Old 02-29-2008, 03:41 PM
9 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well here is my story. The way I fitted my 12 point cage the 18" wide Pro seat just would not fit. I have a 16" in there and it is very tight. I am 6'-3" and am about 230 lbs with a 38" waist and 36" pant leg. You need the 18" IMO if you can fit it in the car with the cage. My problem is I put a bar from the horiziontal bar along the rocker to the slanted bar and it hit the 18" seat.
Old 02-29-2008, 05:48 PM
TECH Regular

Yeah, you're right. Luckily for me, I just got to sit in one for my first time today. It was a 17" and although I fit in it, it was too tight for comfort. I'm gonna order me an 18, but a 17 for my passenger. And then if I ever lose some weight I can swap them out. But that'll probably never happen, lol
Old 03-01-2008, 01:06 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by N2RACINGLS1's
Well here is my story. The way I fitted my 12 point cage the 18" wide Pro seat just would not fit. I have a 16" in there and it is very tight. I am 6'-3" and am about 230 lbs with a 38" waist and 36" pant leg. You need the 18" IMO if you can fit it in the car with the cage. My problem is I put a bar from the horiziontal bar along the rocker to the slanted bar and it hit the 18" seat.
I am about the same size (6'3" 225 lbs) except I have a 36" waist and I fit in mine great. I think they are 17.5 wide with a 20 deg layback
Old 03-01-2008, 02:31 AM
10 Second Club

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Mine are both 18In seats. Savings was near 50Lbs for the set
Old 03-01-2008, 03:01 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by TwoFast4Lv
Mine are both 18In seats. Savings was near 50Lbs for the set

Your interior looks sweet. I hope mine is gonna come out looking somewhat like that

Is that the factory carpet you used?

Quick Reply: Kirkey Seats - Econo Drag or ProStreet Drag??