Dynamometer Results & Comparisons Dyno Records | Dyno Discussion | Dyno Wars

Whats the point posting final results and no baseline?

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2009, 04:46 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Whats the point posting final results and no baseline?

The reason I say this is because all dynos, operators, strapping etc is done differently. So surely to be at all relevant everyone should be posting pre mod and post mod curves from the SAME dyno as its the % gain thats important not the headline number which can be "doctored"!?
Old 09-06-2009, 06:12 AM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

That's why we try to baseline every car we mod. Gotta know where you started.
Old 09-06-2009, 08:09 AM
TECH Fanatic

Yeah I wish everyone did that. It would make more posts relevant. Otherwise its kind of pointless except to look at the curve shapes and relative power across the rpm range.
Old 09-11-2009, 07:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Are you referring to shops or everyone that posts here? Some people don't have the money to dyno before and after every time. It would be nice, but it's not always practical.
Old 09-11-2009, 10:40 AM
TECH Fanatic

Both..
I understand but with no reference point I see no clear relevance. Maybe thats just me.
Old 09-11-2009, 01:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

I did a before and after when I did my H/C setup. At 445 rwhp I made 125 rwhp over my baseline of 320 rwhp.

I agree, it's more important to see how much power you gained over your previous setup than comparing it to someone else's ride that may have different mods, dyno's, ect.
Old 09-11-2009, 02:20 PM
Launching!

288 bone stock
305 after we cleaned up the AF
395 cam,headers,UD pulley,lid,exhaust
425 ported 92/92
478 TEA LS6 heads
Old 09-11-2009, 03:57 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

We always dyno the car before adding mods like a Cam ect. It's smart to do not only to see the gain but to see if there are any problems with the car.About 30% of the cars getting modded here have problems when they come in from bad 02's,wires or MAF's.Nice to catch it before dumping $$ into a car.
Old 09-11-2009, 04:16 PM
TECH Senior Member

it would be nice, but not everybody has the money, time or conveience to get a base line dyno. shops charge roughly 75 for a dyno run.. can u image the cost of doing a base line, then dyno, then air lid then dyno, then headers then dyno then catback then dyno. then some guys go after installing cam, heads then spend 500 bucks for a complete dyno tune.. thats alot of money.
Old 09-11-2009, 07:56 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by TXZ28LS1
it would be nice, but not everybody has the money, time or conveience to get a base line dyno. shops charge roughly 75 for a dyno run.. can u image the cost of doing a base line, then dyno, then air lid then dyno, then headers then dyno then catback then dyno. then some guys go after installing cam, heads then spend 500 bucks for a complete dyno tune.. thats alot of money.
That can add up very quickly...I would have loved to do that for every mod but I couldn't/can't justify the cost.
Old 09-11-2009, 08:20 PM
TECH Resident

It is what it is.
Old 09-12-2009, 01:19 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by ExceSSive
That can add up very quickly...I would have loved to do that for every mod but I couldn't/can't justify the cost.

i just wish GM High Tech would start doing more dyno shoot outs. they had that 1 with the airlids. the next one should be testing different catbacks, and headers.
Old 09-12-2009, 07:03 AM

Originally Posted by ringram
Both..
I understand but with no reference point I see no clear relevance. Maybe thats just me.
These days there are so many common combos out there that dyno reasonably close to each other (on the same type of dyno) that posting the numbers gives people an idea of what they can expect out of a similar setup.

I'm not really sure what the point of this thread is. Are you asking people not to post dyno results unless they have baseline numbers first? If you're just looking for a reason then I can promise that 9 times out of 10 it's going to be money.

Originally Posted by Slowhawk
We always dyno the car before adding mods like a Cam ect. It's smart to do not only to see the gain but to see if there are any problems with the car.About 30% of the cars getting modded here have problems when they come in from bad 02's,wires or MAF's.Nice to catch it before dumping $$ into a car.
Do you charge the customer for the baseline dyno? If they don't want to spend the money on it do you tell them you won't work on the car? Just curious.
Old 09-12-2009, 08:06 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by ScreaminRedZ

Do you charge the customer for the baseline dyno? If they don't want to spend the money on it do you tell them you won't work on the car? Just curious.
No charge if we bring the car in for work.A before dyno is the best to show the gains.

The sad part is alot of people post dyno #'s here that is questionable. Like "I'm Cam only and make 440rwhp". So a customer will come in and expect 440rwhp and only get 400rwhp.Now they are mad until you show the difference of before/after the work.
Old 09-12-2009, 08:51 AM

Originally Posted by Slowhawk
No charge if we bring the car in for work.A before dyno is the best to show the gains.

The sad part is alot of people post dyno #'s here that is questionable. Like "I'm Cam only and make 440rwhp". So a customer will come in and expect 440rwhp and only get 400rwhp.Now they are mad until you show the difference of before/after the work.
Not sure what the confused face is for. Your explanation makes perfect sense and seems like a good way to keep the customer happy, but alot of shops wouldn't even consider throwing a car on the dyno first without charging the customer fof it. Obviously cars that got work done elsewhere wouldn't apply
Old 09-12-2009, 06:23 PM
9 Second Club

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

This is exactly why I did a before and after. We spend thousands of dollars on our cars to make them go faster. Often times you can work something out with the dyno owner if they know you are a doing a before and after. Shops want your business, atleast around here they do. I dynoed down low to see if I lost any power over stock at all. How else would I know if I met my goals of more power everywhere if I didn't dyno before.

Old 09-12-2009, 06:39 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

for me it's that i really dont care where the car came from, just where it's at right now i'm not making new parts or anything like that, just building a same setup as the guy next to me, final product is more important to me
Old 09-12-2009, 08:25 PM
TECH Addict

That is so true I cant stand when somebody says I pick up 30 hp and have no baseline to prove it. Clear example a buddy of mine instead of getting a base line bought all the bolt ons you could buy minus a cam and heads. car dyno at 285 305 it was a A4 00 f-boat. Car was knocking dow stock 1/4 mile times for a lt1 mind you this was a ls1 blamed it on the parts and different shop's, a total douche bag if you ask me.
Old 09-13-2009, 09:07 AM

Originally Posted by Nitroused383
This is exactly why I did a before and after. We spend thousands of dollars on our cars to make them go faster. Often times you can work something out with the dyno owner if they know you are a doing a before and after. Shops want your business, atleast around here they do. I dynoed down low to see if I lost any power over stock at all. How else would I know if I met my goals of more power everywhere if I didn't dyno before.
I agree 100%. I had a buddy with a 2003 350Z. We put a CAI, headers, and a catback on it and then he wanted to get it dynoed to see how it was doing. After the dyno he asked me how he knew if it had gained or not and I told him that's why I baseline first.

That being said, alot of people would rather save the $100-125 that they would generally get charged for the baseline and use it towards more mods. It all depends on the person's situation.