Dynamometer Results & Comparisons Dyno Records | Dyno Discussion | Dyno Wars

278/339....347/364(Edelbrock Headers) after dyno tune...odd?

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2012, 10:12 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 278/339....347/364(Edelbrock Headers) after dyno tune...odd?

Okay so I took my car for its very first dyno pull Sunshine Performance Killeen, TX...ended having a very odd experience with alot of questions racing through my mind. My mods are:

Edelbrock 1 3/4 to 1 7/8 Stepped Headers
TSP 3" ORY(With the good merge)
SLP LM1
Potz Speed P&P TB
SLP Bellows
SLP LID + K&N

New MSD Plug wires
New NGK TR55
New AMSOIL 5W30 Signature Synthetic

So we start the dyno pull(I noticed he didnt have a fan on the car for the first pull. odd?) long story short it read a 278/339..I honestly couldnt believe my eyes, after looking at endless amounts of dyno results on this forum! Mike my tuner said that alot of time these 01-02 Fbodys make around 280rwhp stock..well im not stock..then he told me that adding the above mentioned mods can actually lower my hp rating without a dyno tune(even though he street tuned it a week prior)..but wouldnt effect my torque rating that much..

He mentioned that he could do a dyno tune real quick, and get my numbers alot higher to tune everything in...he already did a street tune btw...so at this point im like w/e I cant leave with those numbers and show face on ls1tech!(lol) So I let him tune...so after about 5dyno pulls and an hour of him tweaking my tune...my number miraculously go up +69HP and +25TQ!(he said if my clutch wasnt giving out he could have got me over 350HP but was nearvous about doing another pull) Sure im happy and those edelbrock headers are torque monsters...but..wtf gives!? I like the guy who tuned my car, seems knowledgeable helpful and laid back..but ive NEVER seen anything like this posted up on here.... what do you guys think..heres a video and a pic of my max hp/tq...I asked for the before and after of all the dyno pulls he said the printer was messing up with all the lines from the 5 pulls....

Last edited by whiteNrude01; 03-03-2012 at 12:50 PM.
Old 03-03-2012, 11:12 AM
Launching!

I don't know much about the before numbers, but the final looks good. Maybe the car was extremely heat soaked first run? I know my cars coolant and air temp readings go way up when just sitting idling on a hot day per HPtuner logs I have, and that will effect power.

How good did the TSP y-pipe fit with the Edelbrock headers? I have those headers and no y-pipe at the moment.
Old 03-03-2012, 12:07 PM
Launching!

They fit great as far as tuckin up and clearance...i had to gey flowmaster 3.5" to 3.0" reducer cones..my exhaust shop..had to cut a few inches off ypipe..and a little off i-pipe which actually tucked the lm1 up alot more for clearance...tbe they welded everythig up...unless u got a lift or can weld id take it to a shop..i didnt pay a whole lot either
Old 03-03-2012, 12:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

He's playing games with the numbers to make his tune look like a miracle.
Old 03-03-2012, 12:46 PM
Launching!

Im not too familiar with heatsoak..i did drive about 25-30min to the shop..it was about 81° outside
Old 03-03-2012, 12:53 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Marc 85Z28
He's playing games with the numbers to make his tune look like a miracle.
Yea, i did think about that, but dont like to start accusing people off the bat, especially since hes the closest lsx tuner and seemed cool...my next option was 50minutes away brian at reckhart tuning austin, tx i paid $250 for the street tune..and he charged me $250 for the dyno tune after my fail results.
Old 03-03-2012, 01:43 PM
TECH Addict

Received 111 Likes on 87 Posts

Your final numbers are good and expected. Your initial numbers are low, could be heat soak as a likely culprit. He may have played games with the dyno, him not giving the before graph supports that theory. You're right not to accuse, still can't be sure. How does the car drive after compared to before?
Old 03-03-2012, 01:53 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by jmilz28
Your final numbers are good and expected. Your initial numbers are low, could be heat soak as a likely culprit. He may have played games with the dyno, him not giving the before graph supports that theory. You're right not to accuse, still can't be sure. How does the car drive after compared to before?
Well, i can def. feel the extra power in the higher rpm range...and it feels a little more powerful down low to..espwcially since i cant keep her from breakin loose and fishtailing with stock rear suspension anymore
Old 03-03-2012, 02:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Sweet #'s at the end! Is your car an 01-02? I'm guessing it is or you forgot to mention the LS6 intake. Either way, some really nice gains!
Old 03-03-2012, 02:54 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Rare96LT1Formula
Sweet #'s at the end! Is your car an 01-02? I'm guessing it is or you forgot to mention the LS6 intake. Either way, some really nice gains!
yea its an '01...thanks
Old 03-03-2012, 06:47 PM
TECH Addict

Received 38 Likes on 25 Posts

Well the street tune was crap then...
Old 03-03-2012, 08:01 PM
Staging Lane

x2^^ he just fixed another persons problem
Old 03-03-2012, 09:52 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

He street tuned it the week before right? My guess is he pulled a bunch of timing up top during his street tune and added it back in on the dyno.

I have done this to a car that I didn't have a chance to tune right away. Did heads/cam and new the stock tune was going to be off. Pulled 8 degrees of timing and threw some fuel at it just to drive it back to his house. Put it on the dyno a week later. The 8* timing I put back in once AFR was right. Car picked up over 60rwhp with the 8* +3* more (29* total at WOT).

I didn't do it to show massive gains, I did it to make sure it was going to be safely limped home. Glad I did, because I found out he ended up racing it in the week it was home before it went on the dyno. Could have been a bad choice by him if the tune wasn't fueled up and timed down.
Old 03-03-2012, 10:19 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by LIL SS
He street tuned it the week before right? My guess is he pulled a bunch of timing up top during his street tune and added it back in on the dyno.

I have done this to a car that I didn't have a chance to tune right away. Did heads/cam and new the stock tune was going to be off. Pulled 8 degrees of timing and threw some fuel at it just to drive it back to his house. Put it on the dyno a week later. The 8* timing I put back in once AFR was right. Car picked up over 60rwhp with the 8* +3* more (29* total at WOT).

I didn't do it to show massive gains, I did it to make sure it was going to be safely limped home. Glad I did, because I found out he ended up racing it in the week it was home before it went on the dyno. Could have been a bad choice by him if the tune wasn't fueled up and timed down.

Well the street tune fixed most my drive ability issues, felt great etc....basically all im tryin to figure out is, was this intentional just to make me feel like my car with all those mods couldnt even hit 278rwhp! Just to get me to spend $250 on a dyno tune that day. If so thats some shady **** and id like to strangle the little punk
Old 03-03-2012, 10:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by whiteNrude01
Well the street tune fixed most my drive ability issues, felt great etc....basically all im tryin to figure out is, was this intentional just to make me feel like my car with all those mods couldnt even hit 278rwhp! Just to get me to spend $250 on a dyno tune that day. If so thats some shady **** and id like to strangle the little punk
The way (I believe) Lil SS is explaining it, is that the tuner was playing it safe with his street tune. He pulled timing out and added some fuel... dialed in driveability and what not, and then may have assumed you'd want to finalize things on the dyno. Street tuning timing is pretty much impossible. You can't feel the power you're adding or losing on the street playing with timing. This is where the dyno comes in handy... add a little timing, make a pull, add a little more, make a pull, see what timing makes peak power and then maybe pull a tiny bit to keep things safe. Hopefully the guy wasn't trying to pull a fast one on you, but $250 for a dyno tune (to me) is a killer price!! Nothing shady about that. Good final numbers... enjoy the added 60 HP.
Old 03-04-2012, 08:47 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by edwardzracing
The way (I believe) Lil SS is explaining it, is that the tuner was playing it safe with his street tune. He pulled timing out and added some fuel... dialed in driveability and what not, and then may have assumed you'd want to finalize things on the dyno. Street tuning timing is pretty much impossible. You can't feel the power you're adding or losing on the street playing with timing. This is where the dyno comes in handy... add a little timing, make a pull, add a little more, make a pull, see what timing makes peak power and then maybe pull a tiny bit to keep things safe. Hopefully the guy wasn't trying to pull a fast one on you, but $250 for a dyno tune (to me) is a killer price!! Nothing shady about that. Good final numbers... enjoy the added 60 HP.
Yea i prefer the non-shady theory, sucks I didnt educate myself enough before the dyno to make sure no funny buisness was happening...He did tell me after street tune that he was able to get the car back to stock drivability around all my mods..I paid $250 for that and LOSE power..what a joke although he did say my next dyno tune would be only $250.00 which it was..so wasted that freebie..he gave me a future $75 off my next thne when i do cam package.

Either way it seems I should have just did a MOT from frost or TSP...woulda got the same drviability..more power...and wouldnt of lost power for alot less then $250
Old 03-04-2012, 08:58 AM
Launching!

But mostly whats making me sketchy...is the crap about adding..tb exhaust headers etc would causr me to lose power...which is BS cause he did a street tune..and my buddies street tunes all made the cars faster..plus thats what hes advertising...that and making up printer issue stories about my before sheets...I guess theres no real way to find it..im gonna go back and ask for some printoffs if all logs and dyno pulls.. and tell him i want themanyways even uf the ink is messed up..maybe someone can look at them and see if any shady biz took place
Old 03-04-2012, 12:28 PM
12 Second Club

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

The starting numbers do seem weird, but those final numbers seem very respectable, especially the torque! This makes me excited to get my setup finished. I think I am going to get a P&P TB before I get mine tuned.

Originally Posted by David_viny
How good did the TSP y-pipe fit with the Edelbrock headers? I have those headers and no y-pipe at the moment.
FWIW I believe the site sponsor SDPC still has the discounted stainless steel Edelbrock ORY that should fit with no problem. This is what I got, and will be putting it in next week. It costs a little more than the TSP, but it should fit good and you should be able to install it your self. Also no need to buy any reducers or go to the exhaust shop.
Old 03-04-2012, 03:40 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sounds like a shady place to me
Old 03-04-2012, 05:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by z-camaro
The starting numbers do seem weird, but those final numbers seem very respectable, especially the torque! This makes me excited to get my setup finished. I think I am going to get a P&P TB before I get mine tuned.

FWIW I believe the site sponsor SDPC still has the discounted stainless steel Edelbrock ORY that should fit with no problem. This is what I got, and will be putting it in next week. It costs a little more than the TSP, but it should fit good and you should be able to install it your self. Also no need to buy any reducers or go to the exhaust shop.
Edelbrock no longer makes exhaust so if you find there ory and want it you should ****** it up.

Quick Reply: 278/339....347/364(Edelbrock Headers) after dyno tune...odd?