Dynamometer Results & Comparisons Dyno Records | Dyno Discussion | Dyno Wars

Stock vs Granatelli wires

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2015, 11:11 PM
11 Second Club

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

I'll just say, thank you LIL SS. I purchased them for the same reasons you did.

No better data than real world testing.
Old 08-28-2015, 10:47 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Still waiting for Spawme32 to debate my results.
Old 09-01-2015, 04:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by LIL SS
Still waiting for Spawme32 to debate my results.
there's nothing to debate, i can make up results too, watch

13.8 @ 102 on a 73* day with OEM wires
13.6 @ 104 on a 75* day with granatelli wires

amazing, clearly they were worth every penny of imaginary money.

You cant change the laws of physics no matter how hard you try, as stated previously by someone else, electricity doesnt work like "water flowing through a pipe". Your welcome to believe whatever you want to believe, and waste your money on whatever you want, but don't spread misinformation and try to fool people who dont know any better into thinking their getting magic horsepower.
Old 09-01-2015, 06:09 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by spawne32
there's nothing to debate, i can make up results too, watch

13.8 @ 102 on a 73* day with OEM wires
13.6 @ 104 on a 75* day with granatelli wires

amazing, clearly they were worth every penny of imaginary money.

You cant change the laws of physics no matter how hard you try, as stated previously by someone else, electricity doesn't work like "water flowing through a pipe". Your welcome to believe whatever you want to believe, and waste your money on whatever you want, but don't spread misinformation and try to fool people who dont know any better into thinking their getting magic horsepower.

You are not getting it.. I provide you independent dyno AND track test results yet you cant see it..

I know A LOT more about electricity and how it works than you may think. My background is working with electrical engineers on their PCB power designs daily. You sure learn a lot when discussing efficiancy, losses, thermal etc. Not something I read on the internet that I read, like you are taking as gospel.

Your right, it is different. Soo different that one must think about ALL the differences such as:
Thermal looses with heat
Saturation of the coils, and how thermals effect that
The resistance that is seen in the short 6" wire

These are just a few examples, but real world examples, not a perfect environmentally controlled test lab.

I am not going to give you some BS reason as to why/how the wires made more power, just the facts that they did make power for me over both old and brand new stock wires.

Next time, why don't you actually try testing something before opening your trap.. Perhaps your the one spewing bad info
Old 09-01-2015, 07:00 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

LIL SS, find some old posts that I and a few other folks made about these wires. There are no HP gains, we verified this on back to back pulls on the dyno years ago with my step-father (an electrical engineer) and my childhood friend and gearhead (also an electrical engineer as well as computer science), both whom graduated from GT. You can debate this all you want, but if you take a new pair of Delco wires and a pair of Granatelli wires, your results would be nearly identical with variances of less than ~.5% in a controllable environment.
Old 09-01-2015, 09:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by BattleSausage
LIL SS, find some old posts that I and a few other folks made about these wires. There are no HP gains, we verified this on back to back pulls on the dyno years ago with my step-father (an electrical engineer) and my childhood friend and gearhead (also an electrical engineer as well as computer science), both whom graduated from GT. You can debate this all you want, but if you take a new pair of Delco wires and a pair of Granatelli wires, your results would be nearly identical with variances of less than ~.5% in a controllable environment.
thank you lol amazing how these clowns get promoted to the rank of moderator around here and have not the faintest clue what they are talking about. That's like people who like to compare dyno results of parts with 2 years inbetween the comparison tests. Well, i went to the track 2 months later after putting my wires on and it went faster, must have gained at least 20 horsepower from the new wires. :rollseyes:
Old 09-02-2015, 07:05 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

Wow..this post goes back 2 years ago and there is maybe 1 person that somewhat duplicated the hp gains. Even that is debatable taking into consideration engine temperature, air temp, and a variety of other things.

All I know is this...some years ago, Summit Racing used to post hp gains on products in their catalog. If I bought all the products that gave me the hp gains they claimed, I would have had a 1000hp car running on 87 octane with bone stock internals and nothing but simple bolt on mods. 35hp air filter. 50 hp headers. 20hp wires. 50hp pulley. etc..etc..etc.

Maybe under VERY specific conditions the wires will give you 20hp. If your old wires are fried from the headers and sparks are arching to your headers, you would probably see 20hp. From a good set of wires to the Granatelli's? Snake oil.
Old 09-02-2015, 11:32 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by joyridin'
Wow..this post goes back 2 years ago and there is maybe 1 person that somewhat duplicated the hp gains. Even that is debatable taking into consideration engine temperature, air temp, and a variety of other things.

All I know is this...some years ago, Summit Racing used to post hp gains on products in their catalog. If I bought all the products that gave me the hp gains they claimed, I would have had a 1000hp car running on 87 octane with bone stock internals and nothing but simple bolt on mods. 35hp air filter. 50 hp headers. 20hp wires. 50hp pulley. etc..etc..etc.

Maybe under VERY specific conditions the wires will give you 20hp. If your old wires are fried from the headers and sparks are arching to your headers, you would probably see 20hp. From a good set of wires to the Granatelli's? Snake oil.
Yeh but you see, the way water flows through a pipe....
Old 09-02-2015, 11:44 AM
11 Second Club

This is a cool test.

If you guys don't like or want Granatelli wires good for you. I would definitely take 0.1 ohms vs. 70 ohms any day of the week. With about 14 volts that would mean you get around 140 amps to your plug instead of 0.2 amps. Think about one of those wires with over 1000 ohms. That would be .014 amps or less to your plug.
Old 09-02-2015, 12:09 PM
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes, Water and electricity are different but resistance is resistance
Old 09-02-2015, 12:09 PM
Launching!

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by SoFla01SSLookinstok
If you guys don't like or want Granatelli wires good for you. I would definitely take 0.1 ohms vs. 70 ohms any day of the week. With about 14 volts that would mean you get around 140 amps to your plug instead of 0.2 amps. Think about one of those wires with over 1000 ohms. That would be .014 amps or less to your plug.
I should leave this alone, but I just can't... Please explain to us where you got the 14V figure from when calculating the current you expect to pass through your coil wire?

Do you know what the function of an ignition coil is?

I'd really love to see you carry 140 amps through a coil wire. Or any wire in your car, perhaps short of the battery cable... Or better yet, please tell us how you are going to get 140 amps to jump the gap in your spark plugs.

I really don't know, nor do I care, if the Granatelli's offer huge gains compared to any other plug wire (I myself just purchased a set of FireCore wires), but I do know that the numbers you spouted are just completely wrong in this scenario...
Old 09-02-2015, 01:27 PM
The Scammer Hammer

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Jesus what an absolute ****-show this has turned into.

Believe or think whatever you want to. By all means, DON'T buy a wire with a *gasp* lifetime warranty!! Who cares about if it makes more power or not (I personally think every little bit helps). Buy it for the warranty if anything, or don't buy it at all.

The Sponsor bashing stops NOW. Again, if you don't like them or have no intentions of buying them, MOVE ALONG.
Old 09-02-2015, 01:46 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by carbuff
I should leave this alone, but I just can't... Please explain to us where you got the 14V figure from when calculating the current you expect to pass through your coil wire?

Do you know what the function of an ignition coil is?

I'd really love to see you carry 140 amps through a coil wire. Or any wire in your car, perhaps short of the battery cable... Or better yet, please tell us how you are going to get 140 amps to jump the gap in your spark plugs.

I really don't know, nor do I care, if the Granatelli's offer huge gains compared to any other plug wire (I myself just purchased a set of FireCore wires), but I do know that the numbers you spouted are just completely wrong in this scenario...
I apologize for using 14v. Yes I do know what an ignition coil does.

You could use .5v, or 15 billion volts, the equation is the same. Using 0.1 ohms for GR, & 70 ohms for MSD, the Granatelli wire will have 700x better amperage.

Last edited by SoFla01SSLookinstok; 09-02-2015 at 02:41 PM.
Old 09-02-2015, 07:35 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

This is a cool test.

Test - Granatelli Dominates Ignition Wire Test - YouTube

I do not think anybody is doubting the zero resistance claim or anything else about the quality of the wires. The question is whether they will give you 20 hp.
Old 09-02-2015, 08:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

I apologize for using 14v. Yes I do know what an ignition coil does.

You could use .5v, or 15 billion volts, the equation is the same. Using 0.1 ohms for GR, & 70 ohms for MSD, the Granatelli wire will have 700x better amperage.
Explain to me by your logic, how more amperage going to your spark plugs results in 20hp?
Old 09-02-2015, 10:06 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by joyridin'
I do not think anybody is doubting the zero resistance claim or anything else about the quality of the wires. The question is whether they will give you 20 hp.
True. I cannot back up weather they will give everyone 20hp. As LILSS posted back to back dyno pulls & he experienced a power gain from the wire swap. I guess there are other people that didn't get a power gain. To me less resistance is always better.

Explain to me by your logic, how more amperage going to your spark plugs results in 20hp?
OK.

First off I can't say they'll give you 20hp.

Think of your combustion process. When it comes time to ignite the air/fuel charge, under compression, which sounds better: a very minute tiny amount of spark to start combustion or a very strong spark.

I'm not trying to sell these wires to anyone or saying they will give you 20hp. If I had to guess, which one would give a more complete burn of the air/fuel charge, I would guess the bigger spark.

Last edited by SoFla01SSLookinstok; 09-02-2015 at 10:12 PM.
Old 09-03-2015, 12:00 AM
TECH Fanatic

True. I cannot back up weather they will give everyone 20hp. As LILSS posted back to back dyno pulls & he experienced a power gain from the wire swap. I guess there are other people that didn't get a power gain. To me less resistance is always better.

OK.

First off I can't say they'll give you 20hp.

Think of your combustion process. When it comes time to ignite the air/fuel charge, under compression, which sounds better: a very minute tiny amount of spark to start combustion or a very strong spark.

I'm not trying to sell these wires to anyone or saying they will give you 20hp. If I had to guess, which one would give a more complete burn of the air/fuel charge, I would guess the bigger spark.
A spark is spark, it only works two ways, either the spark can jump the gap and ignite the mix, or it doesn't and it misfires the cylinder. This is what everyone keeps trying to explain that the pseudoscience advocates keep trying to refute. The spark is only the ignition point of combustion that lasts for literally a fraction of a second, but once the spark has ignited the mixture in the cylinder, it doesn't matter if that spark had 100,000 volts or was lit with a AA battery. One could argue that you could have poor performance the denser the fuel mix and making it harder for the spark energy to jump the gap of the plug (hence boosted cars running tighter gaps), but we aren't dealing in small voltages here, the voltage drop on a coil that produces 40,000 volts or greater against the kind of ohm's we are talking about are absolutely minuscule. Not to mention the fact that there is nothing about "spark energy" that inherently can create more power, because if you are successfully igniting your air fuel mix with your current ignition setup, nothing about making it stronger energy wise, makes the fuel mix ignite any differently. Hence the analogy that the science they are trying to push is more like saying that your BBQ grill will cook food faster because it will burn hotter if you start it with a blow torch vs a match. It doesn't matter what you use to ignite it, the point is that you CAN ignite it. That is all. Lost power gains from changing spark plugs are because of degradation or failure, which can cause excessive resistance (100,000+ ohms) or broken connections in the wire that ultimately result in misfire, and eliminating that misfire with new parts "restores" horsepower, which can be done with any set of wires, not just 0 ohm wires. This is the reason why you wont find these debates among people who actually build race cars, because they know better then to listen to this nonsense.
Old 09-03-2015, 06:45 AM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I'm probably gonna get a set of the Granitellis just because of the Lifetime warranty. Since its so easy to break a wire when removing them......

But if they create 20hp over a stock wire......they would be getting calls from NASCAR, FORMULA ONE and every other race organizations to make them some wires. Not to mention all the car manufacturers around the world would be using them too.

Old 09-03-2015, 08:02 AM
10 Second Club

Received 412 Likes on 330 Posts

I can tell you guys the granetelli wires reduced my misfires.......pretty significantly.

I can't say they made a 20hp gain. But very nice wires imo.
Old 09-03-2015, 12:07 PM
11 Second Club

A spark is spark, it only works two ways, either the spark can jump the gap and ignite the mix, or it doesn't and it misfires the cylinder. This is what everyone keeps trying to explain that the pseudoscience advocates keep trying to refute. The spark is only the ignition point of combustion that lasts for literally a fraction of a second, but once the spark has ignited the mixture in the cylinder, it doesn't matter if that spark had 100,000 volts or was lit with a AA battery. One could argue that you could have poor performance the denser the fuel mix and making it harder for the spark energy to jump the gap of the plug (hence boosted cars running tighter gaps), but we aren't dealing in small voltages here, the voltage drop on a coil that produces 40,000 volts or greater against the kind of ohm's we are talking about are absolutely minuscule. Not to mention the fact that there is nothing about "spark energy" that inherently can create more power, because if you are successfully igniting your air fuel mix with your current ignition setup, nothing about making it stronger energy wise, makes the fuel mix ignite any differently. Hence the analogy that the science they are trying to push is more like saying that your BBQ grill will cook food faster because it will burn hotter if you start it with a blow torch vs a match. It doesn't matter what you use to ignite it, the point is that you CAN ignite it. That is all. Lost power gains from changing spark plugs are because of degradation or failure, which can cause excessive resistance (100,000+ ohms) or broken connections in the wire that ultimately result in misfire, and eliminating that misfire with new parts "restores" horsepower, which can be done with any set of wires, not just 0 ohm wires. This is the reason why you wont find these debates among people who actually build race cars, because they know better then to listen to this nonsense.
Alright man. Settle down. I think I read somewhere NASCAR wires are around 25 ohms per foot. But hey, why not just use a wire with 1600-3000 ohms per foot. A spark is a spark right???

I have Granatelli wires. I did not buy them for extra hp. Lifetime warranty & superior heat shielding was good for me.

One thing that gets me is why you chose to write "nonsense" at the end. Some of your comments are valid as others are pretty stupid(like that BBQ grill crap). If your posts weren't so immature, you sound like you think you know everything, maybe you could debate/converse over things. I don't know you & you don't know me. I'm out of this thread.

Peace.

Quick Reply: Stock vs Granatelli wires