Dynamometer Results & Comparisons Dyno Records | Dyno Discussion | Dyno Wars

Stock vs Granatelli wires

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2015, 10:05 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ProServ
The change in resistance does NOT change the ignition timing. The flow in a pipe analogy is inaccurate for the electricity firing the spark plug and is likely the cause of this misconception.
This is correct.

The garden hose experiment I posted above holds true for lower voltages incapable of traveling an air gap.

High voltage travels differently (think lightning). Its always looking for the least resistance to ground. Ignition wires act more like a guide, even though factory wires have high resistance to low voltage as seen with an ohm meter, high voltage travels like a skin along the wire. As long as there is continuity the speed it travels is unaffected by the resistance of the core. If the wire's continuity is broken then the spark will discharge at or before the break to the easiest ground location.

The highest intentional resistance point to ground is the porcelain body of the plug, which prevents spark from discharging before the air gap.
Old 07-26-2015, 09:40 PM
TECH Addict

Received 130 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by z-camaro
The bold part further leads me to believe that the timing would effectively be changed with the addition of these wires. Your saying that the spark happens sooner?
Electricity travels at at just under 200 miles per second. The spark cannot POSSIBLY move any faster.....and even if could did, not enough to change timing.

What he's trying to say is that with their wires the ENERGY of the spark is less obstructed.....and as a result, will be more powerful at the point of combustion.

Originally Posted by Kevin97ss
.....Ignition wires act more like a guide............As long as there is continuity the speed it travels is unaffected by the resistance of the core.......
Exactly!

KW
Old 07-27-2015, 01:31 AM
10 Second Club

Received 55 Likes on 48 Posts

x3 on the current path not being through the core. Tesla coil effect at those voltages.
Old 08-24-2015, 01:46 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by badformulaLS1
http://www.magnecor.com/magnecor1/truth.htm

It's odd that I can find very little independent testing and results from outside sources as well...
I have posted my independent testing. Look at post 66 and 86.
Old 08-24-2015, 05:23 PM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by LIL SS
I have posted my independent testing. Look at post 66 and 86.
What plug wires do you run now? Have you tried the firecores yet?
Old 08-25-2015, 02:22 AM

Originally Posted by blk00ss
What plug wires do you run now? Have you tried the firecores yet?
In fairness to granatelli, I'm not going to name the competitors wire. But it is not the firecore. Have not been back on the dyno and track performance is not apples to apples with the major rear end change.

Na times:
1.53 60' - 10.38@127 with granatelli. Truck 12 bolt and 4.56 on a cool day.
Vs.
1.58 60' - 10.5x @ 126 with the comp. 9" with 3.90 on a 15* warmer day
Old 08-25-2015, 04:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

In fairness to granatelli, I'm not going to name the competitors wire. But it is not the firecore. Have not been back on the dyno and track performance is not apples to apples with the major rear end change.

Na times:
Vs.
trap speed tells the story, you gained nothing with the granatelli wires.
Old 08-25-2015, 05:03 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by spawne32
DUH!
Old 08-25-2015, 08:20 PM

Let's see..

Stock wires, 12 bolt, 4.56 = 10.54 @ 125.5
Granatelli wires, 12 bolt, 4.56 = 10.38 @ 127
New nameless wires, 9" 3.90 = 10.5x @ 126

With out taking air quality in to account..
Old 08-25-2015, 11:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Let's see..

Stock wires, 12 bolt, 4.56 = 10.54 @ 125.5
Granatelli wires, 12 bolt, 4.56 = 10.38 @ 127
New nameless wires, 9" 3.90 = 10.5x @ 126

and taking air quality into account, again, trap speeds dont lie, you gained nothing from the granatelli wires. thanks for providing more evidence to the contrary to what they claim. lol 1mph difference in trap speed is due to your 15* colder weather and much better 60', which also led to the lower et.
Old 08-26-2015, 09:30 AM
11 Second Club

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

No offense but that makes the results irrelevant.

DA swings in the same day/night can be 1000ft at my track. Different days can be over 3000ft different (even if it's cooler the humidity can SLAUGHTER the DA).

The only way to really do this would be independent dyno or track testing back to back on a vehicle they could be changed extremely quickly. On a vehicle like mine or most trucks 2 people could change the wires out in about 15 seconds in the staging lanes.

It being so simple to test yet still not being able to find good clean evidence is exactly why I don't buy into it. It's literally easier/quicker than timing or AFR changes to a tune.

That said they appear to be great wires and when I am back in the market for some I will debate between getting fresh MSDs or some of these. If I ever buy some I would be more than happy to A B A B testing at the track versus stock and/or MSD wires.
Old 08-26-2015, 10:22 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 196 Likes on 138 Posts

I am not sure why this is such a debate able topic. LS1 plug wires are what 10" long? With that short of run, there is no way X plug wire will make more power then Y plug wire. It is simple physics...I would belooking at a plug wire for it's build quality and durability. The Granatelli look to have solid build quality, but I am not buying the HP increase. Sure maybe if you removed a set of stock wires that had 200,000mi and put these on, it might pick up a few ponies.
Old 08-26-2015, 11:13 AM

You guys are funny trying to explain DA to me I left weather out of the equation so you guys could, well, try and make an argument that was going to implode once I added weather data to it. Bait and hook

Sacramento's relative humidity does not change much between the months of May-Sep. If you really want me to add that to further your imploding argument, I will be happy to do so. I will say that DA with the stock wires was the best for all 3 runs below and the truck is very consistent on motor +/- .07 ET and +/- .2 mph.. Yes, DA with the un-named new wires was the worst. But the argument isn't that brand G is better than the un-named brand, but rather there was a true increase in power over stock with the Granatelli's. I have both Dyno and track info to prove it.

1.5mph faster on a 2* warmer day..

Stock wires, 12 bolt, 4.56 = 10.54 @ 125.5 (On a 73* day)
Granatelli wires, 12 bolt, 4.56 = 10.38 @ 127 (On a 75* day)
New nameless wires, 9" 3.90 = 10.5x @ 126 (On a 90* day)

I do think that if the 12 bolt and 4.56's were still in the truck, times would be very similar between the Granatelli's and the un-named brand. But both would be far better than stock.

Oh.. One other thing.. Do either of you have experience with a mid 10 second truck with aerodynamics of a billboard? Care to guess how much power is needed to pick up 1.5mph? Food for thought.
Old 08-26-2015, 11:34 AM
11 Second Club

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

With all due respect purposely withholding the scientific data for the sake of "baiting" an argument makes your posts sound biased to supporting the claims rather than presenting the factual data to speak for itself.

My post was not intended to make an "argument" for you to discredit. It was simply to point out that your data as presented was missing variables. My main point was simply it's extremely easy to do A B A B testing to eliminate weather, timing equipment calibration, fuel quality, etc.

That said if you feel like posting all your data, I'll consider it in silence from this point on so as not to be accused of "vendor bashing" or arguing about a product I have not personally tested. As I said in my last post they do appear to be of high quality I would consider purchasing in the future based on that regardless of claimed power gains.

And yes, you are correct the power increase needed to increase your trap like that would be significant. I fight the same problem with my Chevelle. It trapped 95mph in the 1/8th with a best in the 1/4 of 116mph which most fbody and Corvette owners would find rather pathetic on the backhalf. (these are times with the previous LS1 setup, I have not been able to run with the LS2 yet to see track results but it gained ~30rwhp and ~30 rwtq)
Old 08-26-2015, 03:01 PM
11 Second Club

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

I'm happy with the Granatelli wires. The main reason I got them was for their heat shielding.

The only thing is on the dyno they have to put a stock wire on one cylinder as they won't get a signal from a Granatelli. Good info in this thread. I'm N/A so it's all good.
Old 08-26-2015, 08:09 PM

ThunderStruck,

Keep in mind, I am not running the Granatelli wires any more do to EMI issues with other electronics in my vehicle. I have made that clear. My new wires I feel preform on par to the gains I saw with the Granatelli's. But due to the major change in rear end, I can't provide a true fair comparison.

As stated, I will not advertise a competitors product in a vendors post, that just is not good ethics.

My baiting was specifically towards these two comments below.

Originally Posted by flintwrench69
DUH!
If you look at the chain of posts, these two are obviously not looking for objective data to draw conclusions with. I made no mention of stock vs Granatelli's prior to their responses (well at least in the recent relevant posts). It was a comparison of the new wires and Granatelli's. How can they draw any conclusion to Granatelli's vs stock from that?

Na times:
Vs.
They just want to rule out Granatelli's claims of being a superior wire to a factory wire, in the end making more power.
Old 08-26-2015, 08:18 PM

Btw, you 1.22 1/8 to 1/4 mph multiplier is still better than mine.
Old 08-26-2015, 08:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by kinglt-1
I am not sure why this is such a debate able topic. LS1 plug wires are what 10" long? With that short of run, there is no way X plug wire will make more power then Y plug wire. It is simple physics...I would belooking at a plug wire for it's build quality and durability. The Granatelli look to have solid build quality, but I am not buying the HP increase. Sure maybe if you removed a set of stock wires that had 200,000mi and put these on, it might pick up a few ponies.
It's debatable when you claim an impossible horsepower increase. lol These are just like the guys who claim they notice a difference from the "engine balancing magnets" that you stick to your valve cover that are sold on ebay claiming it adds horsepower by balancing out your engine. The analogy of water flowing through a pipe is just plain wrong, and its been posted over and over again why its wrong, and yet there are still guys claiming they are faster by buying these wires. As ive said before, its analogous to saying your bbq grill burns hotter because you lit it with a MAP gas torch vs a match. If your plug wires are old and ****, then all your doing is "restoring" power, not gaining anything, which can easily be done with a set of wires that are a 1/4 of the price and made just as well. That being said, im sure the granatelli wires are made very well, but when you market them based on magic instead of something realistic, you have to expect to be called out on your bullshit.
Old 08-26-2015, 09:44 PM
TECH Addict

It's debatable when you claim an impossible horsepower increase. lol These are just like the guys who claim they notice a difference from the "engine balancing magnets" that you stick to your valve cover that are sold on ebay claiming it adds horsepower by balancing out your engine. The analogy of water flowing through a pipe is just plain wrong, and its been posted over and over again why its wrong, and yet there are still guys claiming they are faster by buying these wires. As ive said before, its analogous to saying your bbq grill burns hotter because you lit it with a MAP gas torch vs a match. If your plug wires are old and ****, then all your doing is "restoring" power, not gaining anything, which can easily be done with a set of wires that are a 1/4 of the price and made just as well. That being said, im sure the granatelli wires are made very well, but when you market them based on magic instead of something realistic, you have to expect to be called out on your bullshit.
Well said! I'm not questioning the quality of Granatelli wires, they definitely look higher quality than stock ones. The whole HP increase over a good stock set I have a problem with. & that's their big selling point, magic power adder. If you think youre faster from buying their wires its all in your mind!
Old 08-26-2015, 10:35 PM

If your plug wires are old and ****, then all your doing is "restoring" power, not gaining anything,

Here is some interesting data for you..

Dyno I did >2 years ago was with GM wires that were at least 10 years old and I repaired a few of them track side more than once. I only bought the Granatelli’s due to their lifetime guarantee and the fact they had nice heat wrap. I was a skeptic on their claimed gains. The owner of the dyno (a good friend of mine) and I laughed about the claims as we put the wires on. “Haha, 20rwhp, yeah right…” Back to back dynos with zero changes to the tune and 5 minutes between pulls, the truck made 20rwhp. We were blown away!!

Fast forward to a few months ago when I was trying to sort out my N20 controller issues. I threw my old stock wires away and didn't have any other wires to test with. I borrowed a buddies set that he was going to be putting on a brand new GM crate motor that was finding it's home in a 65 Impala. These wires, brand new from a sealed GM box I wanted to test the controller with these new stock GM wires then the Granatelli’s as I was trying to find the source of EMI. I had always suspected the Granatelli wires.

The N20 controller was armed but the noids disconnected. I set a meter up with one probe on the roll cage and the other probe to where the noid would normally connect to the controller. When the controller is activated it grounds the solenoids thus providing me a ground loop. If the meter stayed OL, I knew the controller was not working properly.

NA Tune (28* timing)
AFR .82 lambda (E85)
481rwhp through the powerglide, 9" 3.90 gear rear with 315/60/15 drag radials

Confirmed the controller was working with stock wires. Very next pull, unchanged tune and the only difference being the Granatelli wires back on. Which these wires are now 2 years old..

NA Tune (28* timing)
AFR .82 lambda
499rwhp through the powerglide, 9" 3.90 gear rear with 315/60/15 drag radials

N20 controller no longer working.

Again, I am not saying other aftermarket wires won’t make as much power as the Granatelli’s but their claim is they make 20hp over stock OEM wires.

This is real live back to back testing.

Care to explain why the Brand New GM Wires did not make the same power?

Quick Reply: Stock vs Granatelli wires