Dynamometer Results & Comparisons Dyno Records | Dyno Discussion | Dyno Wars

Stock vs Granatelli wires

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2015, 10:51 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Zmg00camaross
I find it odd that he posted the same post he posted 13 post ago.
Exactly lol. They keep posting the same responses that have been shown to be untrue...
Old 07-09-2015, 11:44 AM
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by badformulaLS1
http://www.magnecor.com/magnecor1/truth.htm

What is your response to that article posted above then? It debunks low resistance wires very effectively.... Would like to know if you have some science to counter that science.

It's odd that I can find very little independent testing and results from outside sources as well... If these power gain claims were legitimate I imagine there would be a lot more people hyped up about it and sharing their positive results. Yet all I could find on this forum was one thread in which a guy claimed 5whp/wtq under the curve, with the same peak numbers. Not terrible for the cost but still far from what you claimed.

Sir you just linked a test that was performed and written 11 years before our patents were issued. Respectfully you need to keep up with technology and the times. Along those lines the Magnacore link is equally over 20 years old and at least 16 years out of date
Old 07-09-2015, 01:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by granatelli sales
Sir you just linked a test that was performed and written 11 years before our patents were issued. Respectfully you need to keep up with technology and the times. Along those lines the Magnacore link is equally over 20 years old and at least 16 years out of date
Gonna have to beg to differ on that one, theres nothing about the laws of physics that govern electricity that have changed over the past 20 years. lol You'd have an easier sell with $200+ dollar wire sets if you just marketed them as "really good quality built" wires, rather then magic horsepower makers.
Old 07-09-2015, 02:49 PM
10 Second Club

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts

What happen in the last 20 years? Well coils are considerable stronger then back 20 years ago.
Old 07-09-2015, 03:30 PM
TECH Resident

Ok the article is old. But if it no longer applies nowadays please explain how rather than repeating the metaphorical "think of it like a hose" or similar description of how the wires "work". Clearly people want more than the dumbed down explanation.

Originally Posted by spawne32
Gonna have to beg to differ on that one, theres nothing about the laws of physics that govern electricity that have changed over the past 20 years. lol You'd have an easier sell with $200+ dollar wire sets if you just marketed them as "really good quality built" wires, rather then magic horsepower makers.
This was my thinking. Just because it's old doesn't automatically mean the information isn't valid anymore. And I feel that if it wasn't valid they would've responded to it with a proper explanation several posts ago when it was originally posted.
What happen in the last 20 years? Well coils are considerable stronger then back 20 years ago.
Stronger in what context? Not sure what you're trying to say here. The build quality got better? The spark got stronger? How does it equal more horsepower?

Last edited by badformulaLS1; 07-09-2015 at 03:37 PM.
Old 07-09-2015, 08:24 PM
10 Second Club

Saying the coils are hotter even further more that the wires wouldn't matter or make these HP claims.

Last edited by Zmg00camaross; 07-09-2015 at 08:42 PM.
Old 07-09-2015, 10:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Saying the coils are hotter even further more that the wires wouldn't matter or make these HP claims.
I like the spark plug wires are like faucets analogy best, full well knowing that a spark plug only initiates the process of combustion, it doesnt sustain it. Thats like saying your going to get a hotter fire lighting something soaked in gasoline with a torch vs a match. lol
Old 07-10-2015, 01:36 AM
10 Second Club

Received 55 Likes on 48 Posts

Think about the ignition coil as a faucet, the ignition wire as a hose, the hose head as the spark plug, and water is the electricity. No matter how much the faucet flows, if there is a restriction/resistance in the hose, the hose head won’t see as much water.

Now, eliminate the restriction and/or resistance. Water will flow easier and faster through the hose and more of it will get to the hose head.

If your factory ignition wire has a resistance, the spark from the coil pack is not getting to the spark plug. Eliminating that resistance is where the increased horsepower is coming from. There are eight ignition wires which have up to 2000+ Ohms of resistance. Eliminating that resistance gains back the horsepower which would normally be lost.
Now lets look at how it actually works. Think of the ignition wire as the valve on the faucet. No matter how big this valve is, you're still limited by the size of the piping in the house and the pressure of the water. It could be the greatest valve in the world, but it isn't going to increase the amount of water the plant gets, nor make it grow any better.

Surprised you don't sell a Granatelli branded turbonator.
Old 07-10-2015, 05:55 AM
TECH Addict

Lightbulb

Wow.

All this idiotic product/Sponsor bashing is asinine.

If you like them and wanna buy them; buy them.

I did and I didn't see a hp increase BUT they were worth it to me for how it improved part-throttle drivability and responsiveness.

If you DONT like them or can't afford them don't ******* buy them.

NOBODY IS FORCING YOU TO BUY THESE DAMN WIRES.
Old 07-10-2015, 06:05 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by The Dragon
Wow.

I did and I didn't see a hp increase BUT they were worth it to me for how it improved part-throttle drivability and responsiveness.

^^^^ What he just said and or go rub one out if you can not afford to buy haha.
Old 07-10-2015, 09:12 AM
Staging Lane

Whenever I buy an aftermarket part, I tend to ignore all HP claims since the claims are always based on a vehicle that is not the same as mine.

I just purchase it based on a quality / aesthetics / price / need basis. Whenever I need something, i look for the best quality and look I can find at a price that is reasonable. While aesthetics is not always the most important part... I wouldn't purchase wires with a rainbow pattern on them.

I always Google for user ratings and reviews as well.

As far as these wires go, I have always had the idea that the stock ignition systems on ls engines have been used with success on cars up to 500hp, if not more. I could be wrong, but that's my idea.

That being said, I would rather purchase a reputable set of wires over the house brand at a local auto parts store. I don't have any problem spending extra dollars when it comes to quality. While I do not believe that these wires would significantly improve the performance of my stock LS1, they look to be well built and I BELIEVE I have ran Granatelli wires on a 5.3 silverado years ago and they held up great with Pacesetter LT's.

Do I think I would see 20 HP on a stock LS1? No
Would these wires look better than stock? Yes
Better quality and build than stock? Yes
Would I spend 200 bucks on wires? No
100ish with a lifetime warranty? Yes

I would think that a manufacturer would be hesitant to make crazy HP claims on a forum full of tech GURU's and old school enthusiasts. He did do a Dyno video and made it a point to direct the video right at this forum and its naysayer's. Who knows? I work at a University with a awesome Engineering department. Maybe I will ask their prof's theory on these claims to satisfy my curiosity?
Old 07-10-2015, 11:56 AM
10 Second Club

Received 55 Likes on 48 Posts

Wow.

Not bashing the product, bashing the science.
Old 07-10-2015, 01:33 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Wow.

This^^^. I run them with no problems.
Old 07-10-2015, 08:10 PM
TECH Resident

Wow.

I've been posting because I've been hoping they will give me a reason to want them and/or at least give me a better understanding of how they make (or don't make) the gains they are claiming. It's not about whether or not I like them it's about whether or not they actually work. If they advertised them as "better part throttle drivability and responsiveness" I'd be sold a lot easier than claims of power gains that they can't legitimately back up or scientifically explain. At that point I feel like I'm being scammed. However, the focus of their marketing with this product is power gain, not drivability or responsiveness.
Originally Posted by cali_bear2003
^^^^ What he just said and or go rub one out if you can not afford to buy haha.
I'm sorry but someone who can't afford a $150 dollar purchase probably doesn't even own a car in the first place. Flawed logic. You guys say it like $150 is a lot of money, it's not a $5k+ turbo or supercharger kit we're talking about here.
Originally Posted by DietCoke
Not bashing the product, bashing the science.
At least someone understands.
Old 07-10-2015, 09:06 PM
10 Second Club

I understand fully. Not bashing the prouduct. They look like quality wires I just want the science.
Old 07-10-2015, 09:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

I understand fully. Not bashing the prouduct. They look like quality wires I just want the science.
exactly, like i said, they would have an easier time selling plugs at that price if they marketed them on quality, not the magic platform.
Old 07-12-2015, 06:13 AM
TECH Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

This reminds me of the car audio days. Magic wires. HAHAHA!
Old 07-12-2015, 06:40 AM
TECH Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The inherent resistance in the factory ignition wires robs spark energy. When you decrease / eliminate the resistance, more of the spark energy from the coil pack goes to the spark plug. The elimination of the resistance in the wires is where the HP is coming from.

The enemy of performance is restrictions / resistance. When you eliminate resistances and restrictions, you get better performance.
Could you please calculate the voltage drop with a 9 inch set of wires? If you assume 30,000 volts, and give one wire a resistance of 200 ohms, and the other wire a resistance of 2,000 ohms, this should be an easy calculation.

And then, tell us what voltage and amperage is adequate to ignite fuel/air mixture.
Old 07-13-2015, 12:52 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by badformulaLS1
I've been posting because I've been hoping they will give me a reason to want them and/or at least give me a better understanding of how they make (or don't make) the gains they are claiming. It's not about whether or not I like them it's about whether or not they actually work. If they advertised them as "better part throttle drivability and responsiveness" I'd be sold a lot easier than claims of power gains that they can't legitimately back up or scientifically explain. At that point I feel like I'm being scammed. However, the focus of their marketing with this product is power gain, not drivability or responsiveness.

I'm sorry but someone who can't afford a $150 dollar purchase probably doesn't even own a car in the first place. Flawed logic. You guys say it like $150 is a lot of money, it's not a $5k+ turbo or supercharger kit we're talking about here.

At least someone understands.
This is the problem, claiming they add HP. Wires add HP? Lol, maybe over a junk set sure. Not over a perfectly functioning set. Other aftermarket companies claim their product adds HP too, like silencers for snowmobiles. Its just a marketing gimmick to sell their product & it definitely works! Take a look at some of the other things they sell. I'm sure most of the products GMS sells are good but when they claim plug wires make 15+ hp, ignition coils make 13 hp, & their MAF makes 8-25 hp, which I know for a fact their MAF doesnt make the car any more powerful than the stock one. I know, I got a deal on one & I sold it. Its all marketing crap, lies to sell their products. Everyones not stupid!
Old 07-13-2015, 01:07 AM
TECH Addict

As expensive as their stuff is they have to claim it adds hp, their cheapest set of valve covers are over $800 I'm sure they add at least 20 hp lol! Who pays that kind of $$$ for some valve covers? Dayum!

Quick Reply: Stock vs Granatelli wires