Dynamometer Results & Comparisons Dyno Records | Dyno Discussion | Dyno Wars

AI 226cc heads and PatG EPS cam dyno results

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2015, 09:08 AM
On The Tree

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Default AI 226cc heads and PatG EPS cam dyno results

2003 Z06 with 40k miles.

Previously the car put down right around 390 hp / 365 tq with the following mods on an otherwise stock car:

Airaid air intake
Kooks 1 7/8" headers w/ X-pipe, stock Ti exhaust
Remote tune from PatG with EFILive Autocal

Since then I have added:

AI 226cc 243 heads, milled ~0.030"
PatG specced EPS cam: 226/230 .604"/.604" 113 +3
PSI 1511 valve springs
BTR 5/16" pushrods
Stock rocker arms w/ comp camp trunion upgrade
Melling 10295 oil pump
"LS2" timing chain, chain damper, TFS damper adapter kit
Powerbond 10% UD pulley / harmonic balancer

Gained roughly 45hp/40tq and hold power pretty well in the higher revs....good street manners. All tuning still done remotely via Autocal... possibly a bit more power on the table, but I'm happy where it's at.

The rpm pickup on the dyno was cutting out a bit at high revs, so I put a run into excel to make for easier viewing and comparo before/after.

All the "new" runs:

Before/after comparo:

Old 01-31-2015, 09:16 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 202 Likes on 122 Posts

I expected to see better numbers, but as long as your happy is all that matters
Old 01-31-2015, 09:20 AM
On The Tree

Only thing I can think of is it may benefit from a true spark dyno tune? I know it's running 26* at high rpms right now. Aftermarket exhaust might help a little bit too..but I don't think I want it any louder lol.

Last edited by aaronc7; 01-31-2015 at 09:27 AM.
Old 01-31-2015, 11:54 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good deal. That's about as fun as it gets without idle issues in a c5 with stock shortblock. I think your numbers mirror what my 2002 C5z did with a similar package. No dyno games and conservative tune for roadracing. 450/400 with Vararam, 1 7/8 ARH headers and catless Ti exhaust, older EPS 226/234 113 cam, TEA ported/milled my heads with cut down ls3 valves, Fast 102 and ls2 tb, no pulley and running SD tune. runs 11.80's at 123/124 on a Falken RT615 200tw tire (consistent but crap 1.9 60 foot with bars and normal roadrace spring/shock settings). Also managed 177-179 in the ECTA Willmington Ohio standing mile.

Last edited by briannutter; 01-31-2015 at 12:01 PM.
Old 01-31-2015, 11:46 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice torque curve
Old 02-01-2015, 08:52 AM
On The Tree

Been looking around at other dynos with similar mods and I feel like it's right about where it should be..... with these NA mods/motors things are very predictable. Saw one guy who hit 450 with stock ls6 intake still but he also had AFR heads and aftermarket exhaust (maybe another thing or two as well). Ultimately I was going for bang for buck with the AI ported heads (already had the stock 243 heads). Keep longevity and reliability was very important too.... I plan on hitting up some road course track events with this thing (next one is 2 weeks away).

Ever since I did the heads/cam I've been getting the notorious clutch sticking after a few high rev shifts. Put in the Tick master yesterday, got to adjust it today. Hope it fixes my issues, or at least makes it bearable enough for the track day lol! A few months down the road I plan on upgrading the clutch.
Old 02-01-2015, 10:20 AM
11 Second Club

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Nice results man. Sweet vette!
Old 02-03-2015, 01:29 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Holy crap that little thing carries to 7k no problem. I have this cam as well, but on a 111 LSA. Gotta love EPS lobes.
Old 02-03-2015, 03:44 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Awesome graph, i did expect a little more from a heads/cam/pulley setup but Im sure it pulls hard. I could see another 15rwhp from a FAST intake.
Old 02-03-2015, 09:43 AM
11 Second Club

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

to be fair we are talking about going from an ls6 cam and 243 heads with bolt ons and tune to ported heads and a nice mild cam...the final numbers are pretty realistic too
Old 02-03-2015, 04:57 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice car and numbers! Throw a 102 on there like someone else said if you want to pick up some extra rwhp. I'm going to have the same heads and a mild AI spec'd cam. I met Pat G this past Saturday. I'll be using the autocal too. How do you like it?
Old 02-03-2015, 05:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

was the car tuned after? There could be quite a few ponies in there if not.
Old 02-03-2015, 07:49 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by thunderstruck507
to be fair we are talking about going from an ls6 cam and 243 heads with bolt ons and tune to ported heads and a nice mild cam...the final numbers are pretty realistic too
My thoughts as well. I went this route for the HP per dollar value, rather than aftermarket casting etc.

Originally Posted by newchevyman
Nice car and numbers! Throw a 102 on there like someone else said if you want to pick up some extra rwhp. I'm going to have the same heads and a mild AI spec'd cam. I met Pat G this past Saturday. I'll be using the autocal too. How do you like it?
Yeah I have a feeling I will be doing an intake/TB setup at some point. Right now I am more inclined to do the 92 though..... 102 fitment seems spotty on the C5.

AI basically specced me the same sort of cam.... I just went through Patrick since he was already doing my tuning... they basically came to the same results for my needs, so that made me feel confident too.

I've been really happy with the Autocal route. Patrick has been very helpful, quick to answer my question and work my revisions. I am on something like revision 11 right now. You're not always going to be able to work out every last hp since it's not dyno tuning....but for typical/common setups and not super radical builds I didn't see anything wrong with it. A lot of other platforms are huge into etuning. Personally I felt more comfortable going this route than taking it to a local shop (no big name places around here).

I did get a wideband just to help me sleep at night and AFRs were very close, basically spot on for what we were going for...so his tuning techniques are definitely sound.

Autocal itself is nice as you can datalog, monitor params as you please. I always like to take a quick glance at fuel trims after removing the throttle body or air intake or something, to help give me some clues that it may be leaking or something.

Originally Posted by JDMC5
was the car tuned after? There could be quite a few ponies in there if not.
Like I talked about just above... it's a "canned" tune to some extent. Might be able to extract a little more power from timing. AFR is right around 12.5 so I don't see much to be had there. Peak timing is 26* for what it's worth.
Old 02-03-2015, 09:53 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 196 Likes on 138 Posts

You need to excuse some folks around here that live and die by peak dyno numbers. First off your gains look good...you picked 45whp from a mild cam and porting your 243's. Also the power carries nicely. I would say your results are excellent. If you want to squeeze a little more from it, put a ported fast or msd intake on it.
Old 02-04-2015, 05:58 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Exactly, people claiming that this thing is low on power have to realize that we are talking about OEM casting heads here, stock valve size, OEM LS6 intake and a pretty mild cam.

If this had AFRs with matched FAST intake and a monster cam it would make better numbers for sure, but for the setup those are killer numbers especially on a 346.
Old 02-04-2015, 08:45 AM
11 Second Club

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

If afr is 12.5 (measured with a wideband, not just commanded) and the timing is at 26* you are very close. I would say within 5hp or less.

Mine picked up very small amounts of power and ended up at 12.8 and 27.5*
Old 02-04-2015, 08:31 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by thunderstruck507
If afr is 12.5 (measured with a wideband, not just commanded) and the timing is at 26* you are very close. I would say within 5hp or less.

Mine picked up very small amounts of power and ended up at 12.8 and 27.5*
Yep I have an LC-2 hooked up to the kooks x pipe section and have an analog output wired into the EGR pin on the ECU. In the end it turned out I really didnt 'need' it, but I feel better knowing AFR is where it should be.
Old 02-05-2015, 05:11 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Looks good. Going from a ls6 cam and heads to that wouldn't have the biggest gain.It's where it should be with the mods.
Old 02-06-2015, 03:25 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by kinglt-1
You need to excuse some folks around here that live and die by peak dyno numbers. First off your gains look good...you picked 45whp from a mild cam and porting your 243's. Also the power carries nicely. I would say your results are excellent. If you want to squeeze a little more from it, put a ported fast or msd intake on it.
I agree 100% for the mods that you have thats great for a 5.7L I have AI 232cc 243 heads on my 6.0L full bolt on and tune put down 469whp and 433TQ. Of course Trick Flow, AFR or any other after market heads are going to make more power but you going to spend more $$$ too. So the power is fine and you have an awesome car that has perfect street manners. Don't worry about it.
Old 02-06-2015, 05:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by aaronc7
My thoughts as well. I went this route for the HP per dollar value, rather than aftermarket casting etc.

Yeah I have a feeling I will be doing an intake/TB setup at some point. Right now I am more inclined to do the 92 though..... 102 fitment seems spotty on the C5.

AI basically specced me the same sort of cam.... I just went through Patrick since he was already doing my tuning... they basically came to the same results for my needs, so that made me feel confident too.

I've been really happy with the Autocal route. Patrick has been very helpful, quick to answer my question and work my revisions. I am on something like revision 11 right now. You're not always going to be able to work out every last hp since it's not dyno tuning....but for typical/common setups and not super radical builds I didn't see anything wrong with it. A lot of other platforms are huge into etuning. Personally I felt more comfortable going this route than taking it to a local shop (no big name places around here).

I did get a wideband just to help me sleep at night and AFRs were very close, basically spot on for what we were going for...so his tuning techniques are definitely sound.

Autocal itself is nice as you can datalog, monitor params as you please. I always like to take a quick glance at fuel trims after removing the throttle body or air intake or something, to help give me some clues that it may be leaking or something.

Like I talked about just above... it's a "canned" tune to some extent. Might be able to extract a little more power from timing. AFR is right around 12.5 so I don't see much to be had there. Peak timing is 26* for what it's worth.

I figured just wasn't positive. There might be a few but nothing drastic, I'd bet less than ten, if any. Pat definitely knows what he's doing. My cam is very similar to yours it's a 228/230 .629" .605" 112+2 spec'd by him. Haven't had a chance to dyno tune mine yet though.

Quick Reply: AI 226cc heads and PatG EPS cam dyno results