Dynamometer Results & Comparisons Dyno Records | Dyno Discussion | Dyno Wars

relocating 02 sensors?

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2005, 11:53 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default relocating 02 sensors?

I am going to install f13 soon and have it dyno tuned I was told by the tuner that I have relocate the 02 sensor to get better results but i havent heard nobody mention this when tuning their car. Charge to relocate sensors is $150 parts & labor trying to save money and it hurts to make new wholes in my brand new headers.What do you guys think
Old 02-28-2005, 08:30 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 61 Likes on 48 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

I have read that the O2 bung locations in long-tube headers cause the closed-loop functionality to be decreased. But I've never heard of anyone adding O2 bungs closer to the engine to fix it. You can only get so close anyway unless you want to monitor just one cylinder per bank.
Old 03-01-2005, 08:48 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by JimMueller
I have read that the O2 bung locations in long-tube headers cause the closed-loop functionality to be decreased. But I've never heard of anyone adding O2 bungs closer to the engine to fix it. You can only get so close anyway unless you want to monitor just one cylinder per bank.
Thanks for your info,I thought I would get more opinions.Were are the dyno tuners when you need them?
Old 03-01-2005, 10:59 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 61 Likes on 48 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

Thanks for your avatar
Old 03-02-2005, 08:10 AM
TECH Enthusiast

O2 sensors have to be above 600 deg F to function accurately, the internal O2 heater is'nt enough. At idle and cruise this temp is more difficult to achieve. Adding headers cools the exhaust stream for the O2s for various reasons, thus we often have to move the O2s closer where there is more heat such as in the header collector or in the exh pipe right after the collector. As a dyno operator, we try to correct the most common problems first before too much dyno time is envolved solving or trying to work around issues.
Old 03-02-2005, 01:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

you can always swap out to rear vette 02s. The heaters in those are supposed to be a little more active since they are located further back. I know alot of peeps use them. They also eliminate the need for extensions as well since they are long enough... I don't know if they completely resolve closed loop fueliing issues but people have seen improvements! My O2s nearly lay flat or have wide wide oscillations when at low rpms or idle. Confuses the heck outta my trims.
Old 03-03-2005, 11:00 PM
Launching!

So is the verdict to try tuning with relocating 02 sensors.What about all you guys that tune your cars as enbody have to this to achive more power.I just dont want to be assed out by not listeing to the Mr. tuner that is going to charge me $450 then say you didint make all the power you could because the 02's.Then charge me for relocating them and redynoing fee of $150 a hr plus the gas for a 3hr drive.More help please
Old 03-04-2005, 01:23 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Theres a good chance that even moving it a few inches closer on the collector wont even heat them up properly. Switching to the vette rears is sometimes enough, but sometimes not. The best fix ive found is running clamp on header jackets over the primaries. It keeps your underhood temps down, and keeps your o2 sensors toasty. Only thing is that purists wont liek the way it clutters an otherwise clean engine bay.