Dynamometer Results & Comparisons Dyno Records | Dyno Discussion | Dyno Wars

Does rear gear ratio affect RWHP/TQ?

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2008, 08:00 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Does rear gear ratio affect RWHP/TQ?

Does the rear gear ratio affect the rwhp/tq? I have 4.10 rear end on my 6sp C5. How would my dyno results compare to a 3.42 rear end?

If there is a difference, can someone explain why?

Thanks
Old 06-25-2008, 08:07 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by ALQ4
No theres alot more to it than that. It has to do with motor spin up rates, gearing and internal friction of the motor, MOI(moment of inertia) of the rotating componets being spun up faster due to higher numerical gearing. The explanation is very involved. Alot more so than youd expect. Its not as simple as "the gears are heavier", or" The gears are not cut the same so theres more friction". Yes those come in to play but are minimal.

Ill attempt at a feeble explanation.
to make it easier to understand I use a trick. To explain some thing like HP and where its going its easiest to solve the problem in the simplest terms. Energy(in this case HP) and where its going. What is using and consuming the "energy" the motor is putting out?

Ok..say you floor your car in nuetral with no load. It takes 1.5 seconds for the motor to go from 800 rpm to 6200 rpm. Say we already know the motor puts out 320 flywheel hp from an engine dyno. So you can say it takes 100% or all of the 320 hp to accelerate the engines own components from 800 to 6200 rpm in that very short time of 1.5 seconds. Without doing more mods or lightening up the internals or reducing friction this is the maximum the engine can accelerate and it requires 100% of the power to do so. I call this the "Minumim no load spin up rate". Its an odd concept. We always think of the motor as in terms of power output. But fact is under certain curcumsatnces the motor uses much of its own HP(energy) to sustain or accelerate itself.

So lets go to the oppisite end of the spectrum to give a comparison. Now the car is on a dyno and in 4th gear. You spin it up from (for arguement sake)800rpm to 6200 again. Now it takes say 15 seconds to acclerate the exact same rpm range. Now where is the energy going? since the engine rpm is increasing at a much slower rate much less of the energy(HP) is being consumed to accelerate the engines own components. It is being transmitted to the wheels through gearing.

Ok now lets split some hairs an put in 4.10s in place of out 3.42s and if you timed the runs you would see that with 4.10s due to mechanical advantage would spin up from 800 to 6200 rpm at a slightly faster rate say 14.5 seconds. Since the time is closer(although slightly) to the "minimum no load spin up rate" there is more energy being consumed by the motor/drivetrain to spin up its own components.

Now to test this theory. Put a car on the dyno and dyno in 4th. See what you get. Then dyno in third and see what you get. Then second, then first. You would see that 4th gear dyno would be for arguement sake say 300 hp. In third you would see maybe 275. in second maybe 220 and in first it would be probably less than 200 hp to the wheels. And you would see that the acceleration times (800-6200rpm) would be less and less as you got into the lower gears. Again...the closer you get to the "Minimum no load spin up rate" the less HP youll see at the wheels and the more HP it takes for the engines own components to accelerate itself.

This is the simplified version. We could get into it further and compare acceleration times of RPMs VS mph in different gears. And see what work is being done at the wheels. The faster the motor spin up rate the less work at the wheels. Hence the lower dyno #s

None of these #s have been checked and they are just generalizations. So dont pick them apart please.
This was pulled for need2speed.com and was also posted here on the tech somewhere. To sum it up, you would see a drop in RWHP from a 3.42 gear to a 4.10 gear. Although you would see less hp to the rear, the car will be faster. ALot of people here will tell you its only dyno numbers and to take it to the track, for some that not the easiest case scenerio to do.

Hope this helps. My guess would be a max of 7 rwhp between the 2 gears. Tire width and wheel weight can also alter rwhp number on a dyno.

Last edited by Chris Gage; 06-25-2008 at 08:15 PM.
Old 06-25-2008, 08:16 PM
Teching In

Thank you. That is exactly what I was looking for.
Old 06-26-2008, 10:00 AM
TECH Addict

I picked up 3mph going from 3.42's to 4.10's in my last Z28. It allows your engine to get back up in the power every gear change so you aren't having to overcome the lower rpms where the power isn't in a cammed or h/c LS1. So many here dyno with 3.42's and claim how fast they are on the street, but have no track times to back it up. That's all fine and dandy in a dyno shootout. Gears are one of the best bang for the buck mods, cam or not.
Old 06-26-2008, 10:08 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My friend lost 9rwhp on the dyno from swaping from 3.42 to 3.73 but the mid range was alot better and the car was flying at the track.

IMO in Vette Gears is a must.
Old 06-26-2008, 10:19 AM
TECH Fanatic

Last car I had, went from 3.55 to 4.10 gears. I gained about 25ftlb on the dyno and don't remember seeing any more power. There was NO loss of HP.
Old 06-26-2008, 12:56 PM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 03EBZ06
Last car I had, went from 3.55 to 4.10 gears. I gained about 25ftlb on the dyno and don't remember seeing any more power. There was NO loss of HP.
physically impossible as perfectly answered above...

you would see a decrease/decline in both rwhp/rwtq, not a gain...

if everyone were to see a 25rwtq gain from swapping gears, then every car on the road would have a deeper set of gears in them...
Old 06-27-2008, 03:29 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 03EBZ06
Was this a mustang?
Old 06-28-2008, 12:05 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by LSWONGTO
Was this a mustang?
yes, it was an 87.

Quick Reply: Does rear gear ratio affect RWHP/TQ?