Dynamometer Results & Comparisons Dyno Records | Dyno Discussion | Dyno Wars

1998 Trans Am A4 Dyno - Bolt Ons + Milkman Tune

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2008, 08:56 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1998 Trans Am A4 Dyno - Bolt Ons + Milkman Tune

Before I begin with the results, I am going to give the background detail on my car and the dyno. The car is a 1998, WS6 T/A, Automatic, with just over 90,000 on the clock. The car is all stock except for SLP Longtubes, SLP catted Y, the SLP loudmouth I, and the SLP air lid / K&N filter. The dyno was a DynoJet.

So anyways, Today i woke at 5:30 to drive the car down to Jeff Creech at Carolina Auto Masters to get it all tuned up. The car has had a strange problem with the front 02's and was causing the car to run like total crap on the road. So the first half throttle pull wasn't good. Then it was time for the first WOT run, and the car dyno'd at 303.2 rwhp and 314.0 torque. Jeff knew exactly how to take care of it, first by having his crew check for any vacuum leaks or burnt sensor wires. Then, he uploaded his tune and and ran it again. The car dynod much better and, most importantly to me, the 02 readings were perfect, so his tune fixed the problem. This really pleased me. He made a few more pulls, totaling 5 WOT pulls, ending at 318 rwhp and 330 torque. Also, the curve is beautiful on the readout so i'm pleased with that too.

Now for my understanding, for a 1998 with an automatic tranny...these are some pretty decent numbers. The car feels SO much more powerful down low, since i got all of my bottom end power back since the headers install.

All in all, i would HIGHLY recommend Jeff Creech (Carolina Auto Masters) to anybody who is in need of a tune. He really knows his stuff and was able to fix all the issues i was having with the way my car was running. His tune took care of EVERYTHING. He's also a very great guy and knows how to make his customers feel like family. I couldn't be happier.

Last edited by WS-Six; 09-15-2008 at 09:07 PM.
Old 09-15-2008, 11:04 PM
12 Second Club

Nice Job!
Old 09-16-2008, 02:15 PM
TECH Addict

You sure do like SLP...
Old 09-16-2008, 04:11 PM
On The Tree

Haha well I know it may seem like that, but actually i'm not incredibly impressed with all of their products. The first mod to the car was the SLP air lid (went with that cause it was the cheapest and they all do relatively the same thing) and then i replaced the flowmaster exhaust that was on the car with the loudmouth because 1) it was a good price and 2) i liked the way it sounded. If it were up to me, i would have chosen the SLP longtubes LAST over all the other headers (with the exception of pacesetter) because of how difficult they are to install and how low they hang, but i got the entire setup (LT's, Cats, and the Y) for $350 bucks and couldn't pass up that deal. I DO plan to get parts that are not SLP made. But I was thinking my next mod will be an LS6 intake.
Old 09-16-2008, 04:27 PM
12 Second Club

Yea until one of creech's employees crashes your car
Old 09-16-2008, 04:38 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Blazingz28
Yea until one of creech's employees crashes your car
I will have to agree
Old 09-16-2008, 04:43 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Jeff Creech is the biggest ******* tool bag on the east coast, and you're damn lucky your **** didn't blow up on the way home from him touching it. We all get the "I travel all over the country to tune LS1's" speech. And he'll act like your best ******* friend until you don't have any money to hand him. ALL of his tunes are highly conservative because he's afraid of blowing your **** up....because he's done so MANY, MANY times, because he doesn't have a ******* clue what he's doing. Not to mention he lets his employees drive customer cars around when they leave them at the shop. And apparently, his employees don't know how to ******* drive because they totalled a customers highly modded Vette, and REFUSED to pay for ANYTHING! Do yourself a favor, and stay the **** away from that shop.
Old 09-16-2008, 04:47 PM
12 Second Club

I am getting my 99 A4, LT's, ORY, Intake, 3.73's tuned at RPM in Raleigh on friday or so, I will let you know my numbers.
Old 09-16-2008, 04:55 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

R.P.M. built & tuned here. No one else touches my bitch. Cam, bolt-on, 150 shot LS1 = 10.4x's. Stock heads, stock bottom end. Tell that to Creech. He'll call you a liar and tell you it can't be done. lmao
Old 09-16-2008, 05:25 PM
12 Second Club

Wow! That would be the second person I have ever heard say that. Maybe he doesn't want to intentionally tune a vehicle where it could be pushing the threshold towards catastrophic failure. I rather be safe than sorry too. I have never had a problem with Jeff Creech. Maybe it was just the ******* standing in front of him that had the problem.....
Old 09-16-2008, 05:31 PM
TECH Regular

Chreech=Idiot. If you ever need any more work done please go to RPM. It's worth it. I wouldn't let Chreech touch anything in my garage. He is a toolshed and so is his whole group of clowns that still work for him.
Old 09-16-2008, 06:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Just be glad he didn't let an employee go out and wreck your car. BTW, 318 RWHP is not a great # for an LS1 with LT headers.
Old 09-16-2008, 06:45 PM
Restricted User

Creech is an idiot, and like racer88 stated, 318 for a bolton auto is not a huge accomplishment. A friend of mine has a '99 Z28 A4 w/ Pacesetters and LM1 and put down 335 to the wheels tuned by Ryan at RPM.

RPM>CAM
Old 09-16-2008, 06:46 PM
TECH Regular

gotta agree with everyone above...creech is a joke; along with his emlpoyees, so called work, and shitty tunes...i have heard more horror stories about this guy and seen first hand how big of a douche he is...he lost the fbody crowd along time ago, then the gto guys, and his last hope/lifeline, went out with a bang when he fucked with the vette guys
Old 09-16-2008, 07:02 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by linegtdt52
Maybe it was just the ******* standing in front of him that had the problem.....
Nope, I believe its the ******* behind your keyboard that seems to spend time under Creech's desk.

Get on any of the local forums to Creech's area, and inquire yourselves. He has a pretty horrible reputation. And don't think its just one or two stories........the history is LONG, trust me.

What drivability concerns did he fix? Tell me rough idle was one, and he drilled a hole in your throttle body plate. Also, $20 says that your before and after dyno numbers were compared from the final dyno pull, to an initial pull where the engine computer was reset.
Old 09-16-2008, 07:02 PM
12 Second Club

Default Tuners

Let me put it this way, I would not take my car back to Vengeance because of how they let the 21 yr old kid tune a car and completely overrev the car not to mention it took them over an hour to get their dyno to work right and still had problems with the tune. They never even offered for me to come back and retune the car. I dont have a problem with Ron but it just seems a little nieve to let someone tune a vehicle who has worked there for several months. And while I was leaving my car ran like ****. I nearly had to slam on brakes everywhere because the car would roll through gears because of the excessive idle. The idle was set around 1k and I only had a TR224 cam in it and it still bucked and surged like no other exactly like it did before. Not to mention he changed my fuel to 12:? ratio. I thought efficiency with horsepower was in the mid 13:?. My point is I have been around a car Jeff has tuned and it maybe not of been tweak for every ounce, but it was very driveable, got better mileage, ran and sounded better as well. We all come across bad experiences and mine was with Vengeance but it really isnt fair to blame Jeff solely that the kid didnt know how to drive the car. Sure he was an idiot to let him drive it home in the first place but when you trust someone guys sometimes you give them the benefit of the doubt. I can say some of his people may have been idiots but from what I know of him and have dealt with him he is a very respectable individual. So you can love him or hate him but the kid wrecking was the KID'S fault not his. And he did offer to buy the car + the amount of work that was done and a little extra. She wanted him to pay off the vette and buy her another oneand pay it off and put all the mods on it. That in my oppinion is unreasonable.
Old 09-16-2008, 07:15 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by linegtdt52
Let me put it this way, I would not take my car back to Vengeance because of how they let the 21 yr old kid tune a car and completely overrev the car not to mention it took them over an hour to get their dyno to work right and still had problems with the tune. They never even offered for me to come back and retune the car. I dont have a problem with Ron but it just seems a little nieve to let someone tune a vehicle who has worked there for several months. And while I was leaving my car ran like ****. I nearly had to slam on brakes everywhere because the car would roll through gears because of the excessive idle. The idle was set around 1k and I only had a TR224 cam in it and it still bucked and surged like no other exactly like it did before. Not to mention he changed my fuel to 12:? ratio. I thought efficiency with horsepower was in the mid 13:?. My point is I have been around a car Jeff has tuned and it maybe not of been tweak for every ounce, but it was very driveable, got better mileage, ran and sounded better as well. We all come across bad experiences and mine was with Vengeance but it really isnt fair to blame Jeff solely that the kid didnt know how to drive the car. Sure he was an idiot to let him drive it home in the first place but when you trust someone guys sometimes you give them the benefit of the doubt. I can say some of his people may have been idiots but from what I know of him and have dealt with him he is a very respectable individual. So you can love him or hate him but the kid wrecking was the KID'S fault not his. And he did offer to buy the car + the amount of work that was done and a little extra. She wanted him to pay off the vette and buy her another oneand pay it off and put all the mods on it. That in my oppinion is unreasonable.
Sorry, man. You haven't a clue. If VR had 1/10th the amount of complaints that CAM has, they wouldn't be on this board as a sponsor out of shear shame. Just like Creech. I could go on, I have personal, professional experience with Jeff.
He won't come on here, even to defend himself. He'll be eaten alive. Tell him Ed said that.
Old 09-16-2008, 07:16 PM
Launching!

Yea, i agree he probably reset the computer to mask the real numbers.. he is notorious for resetting the computer and making the numbers look good
Old 09-16-2008, 07:17 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by racer88
Just be glad he didn't let an employee go out and wreck your car. BTW, 318 RWHP is not a great # for an LS1 with LT headers.
True, I was a bit disappointed because i thought it would be somewhere in the 330RWHP range, but then again I did some research and found that the 98 LS1's always dyno significantly lower than the 99-02's, plus it's an auto... But i wanted to check to see if everybody on here thinks the numbers should be higher (and if so, what about should they be?)

97 HMS SS: Basically the car was having a problem with the front 02 sensor, it was malfunctioning for some reason. And no he didn't drill through anything...i was watching the car the entire time. Also, i dont THINK he reset the computer for the first pull..he hooked his laptop up to it, but i didn't see him do anything with it...It seemed that 303rwhp would be about average, but then again this is my first time dynoing the car
Old 09-16-2008, 07:23 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

^^^WS6, go on www.horsepowerjunkies.com and do a search on him. If you want some more, even better first hand personal dirt on him, pm me, I'd be glad to give you an ear full. He's borderline psychotic. And that's first hand.