Eastern Members CT, DE, NH, NJ, NY, MA, ME, MD, PA, RI, VT, VA, WV

Question on a Ticket

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2009, 07:30 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question on a Ticket

I borrowed a friend's car today to drive to work. He said it was ok. I've been watching the car for him while he's been down south working so it was accessible to me.

If I were to get a speeding ticket, I understand that this ticket would be my responsibility as the driver.

What happened was, I didn't check any of the info on his car, but it turns out his tags have been expired for 4 months. He forgot about them, and I didn't check his tags before I got in the car.

He feels I am responsible to pay the $50 ticket for the tags being expired just because I was the driver of the vehicle and am responsible for any tickets that the vehicle gets. (although the car was ticketed sitting in a garage and not while I was driving it).

I feel that if it had been a red light ticket, speeding ticket, I would be responsible due to my negligence, but since re-newing his registration is his responsibility, I think the ticket falls on him. He drove the car 2 weeks ago himself when he was in town to go to a concert, etc, so it's not like he hasn't seen the car.
Old 07-23-2009, 08:01 PM
TECH Enthusiast

thats totally on him. if his name is on the registration, its his ticket anyway legally. its the owners responsibility to register the car and keep insurance on it. for example if you wrecked the car, his insurance would be liable because its covering the car and not the driver. moving violations are on the driver, registration stuff is on the owner.
Old 07-24-2009, 07:05 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree, that's his bad.
Old 07-24-2009, 07:26 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by subarubill96
thats totally on him. if his name is on the registration, its his ticket anyway legally. its the owners responsibility to register the car and keep insurance on it. for example if you wrecked the car, his insurance would be liable because its covering the car and not the driver. moving violations are on the driver, registration stuff is on the owner.

yup well said
Old 07-24-2009, 09:05 AM
Staging Lane

Would he "your friend" have gotten a ticket if it was'nt being driven on the road? He did you a favor letting you use the car. Should split it. It's strange how "friends" get funny when money comes into the equasion. As for the comment about insurance. If somebody borrows a "friends" car and wrecks it, they should pay for it not the owners insurance. For the next 4-6 years the owner should have higher premiums because his "friend" wrecked his car? People are always looking to skirt responsibility.
Old 07-24-2009, 09:11 AM
11 Second Club

I say its on him.
Old 07-24-2009, 09:11 AM
TECH Regular

i disagree that the friend is responible. a the diver it is your responsiblity to make sure the car is safe and legal. your friend may have forgotn' to register it but if could have been advoided if you just checked. i know i may not agree with everyone but its the law.
Old 07-24-2009, 09:25 AM
11 Second Club

i agree with ibepressin on this one. basically id see how your friend takes the whole situation and go from there. if he take the "well you were driving it" approach than dont stand him up....pay for it and move on. no sense in losing a friend over a stupid reg ticket. if he says "**** i forgot...sorry. let me take care of that ticket"...i would probably still pay for half cause i was driving the car and he was doin me a favor.
Old 07-24-2009, 09:30 AM
Internet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by subarubill96
Agreed, as a P&C lic insurance agent.

Insurance follows the car, if there was an accident, his insurance would pay, yours kicks in when you go over his limits. Any violations follow the driver.

As for your "friend" thats his fault that he didn't renew the tags. It's up to him to man up and admit his responsiblity.

Send him this link so he can see what we feel about the situation.

I drove my Bro's 95 Integra GSR and it had 5% limo tints, had I got a ticket, it goes to the owner, not to me who is borrowing the car with his permission.
Old 07-24-2009, 09:32 AM
Internet Mechanic

Originally Posted by ibepressin
As for the comment about insurance. If somebody borrows a "friends" car and wrecks it, they should pay for it not the owners insurance. For the next 4-6 years the owner should have higher premiums because his "friend" wrecked his car? People are always looking to skirt responsibility.
It does not work that way, the vehicle involved in the wreck pays out 1st, then any overage goes to the driver. In the end, the surcharge follows the driver at the time of loss.
Old 07-24-2009, 09:36 AM
Internet Mechanic

Originally Posted by dogger
i disagree that the friend is responible. a the diver it is your responsiblity to make sure the car is safe and legal. your friend may have forgotn' to register it but if could have been advoided if you just checked. i know i may not agree with everyone but its the law.
Infractions such as emissions, or registration follow the owner.
Old 07-24-2009, 10:11 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by TNTramair
i agree with ibepressin on this one. basically id see how your friend takes the whole situation and go from there. if he take the "well you were driving it" approach than dont stand him up....pay for it and move on. no sense in losing a friend over a stupid reg ticket. if he says "**** i forgot...sorry. let me take care of that ticket"...i would probably still pay for half cause i was driving the car and he was doin me a favor.
Yep it's the stand up thing to do.
Old 07-24-2009, 10:19 AM
TECH Enthusiast

If he's a good friend, you split the ticket. You should have checked the tags yourself, its just like a flat tire. If you drove on a deflated tire and ruined his tire, wouldnt you be responsible because it's your responsibilty to check it before you drive it. IMO this should not be a legal matter, its a matter that should be settled between friends and you are equally at fault here.
Old 07-24-2009, 10:46 AM
Teching In

hey everyone, thanks for the imput.

The ticket is legally "his", it was written to the car, not the driver. I wasn't in the car at the time. It was parked and I was in the office.

I offered to pay half the ticket earlier. It wasn't good enough.

He's driven the car 5 times at least since the registration expired. It slipped his mind, he forgot, he messed up, and I didn't even think to do a walk around of his Audi (it's a nicer car), before I got in it to ensure it was tagged, or insured, etc. He drove it just 2 weeks ago to VA for a concert. There was nothing in my mind that would make me think the car wasn't registered.

He even asked me to pick him up at the airport and to drive his car to give it a stretch last time he flew in.
Old 07-24-2009, 11:48 AM
TECH Enthusiast

ibepressin hit it right on the money. you are taking a friendship and being legal with him. decide how you want to go about it. i think splitting it half is fairest way, if he doesn't want to do that then his loss. I do think that driver deserves to pay in full but that will never happen haha. Anyway goodluck, i have lost a few friends over tickets so hopefully you two work this out!!
Old 07-24-2009, 02:04 PM
Launching!

It's his problem. It's his car. If the ticket is written to the car, give it to him and tell him to **** off. It was nice of him to let you use the car but it was expired for 4 months!!! You can't tell me your DMV didn't send him some kind of letter. I can't believe somebody would try to pass that off on somebody else. Welcome to America 101. It's always someone else's fault.
Old 07-24-2009, 04:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by MiniTransAm
. Welcome to America 101. It's always someone else's fault.
lol goddamn man, isnt that the truth. its issues like this that are the reason i dont borrow or let anyone borrow my cars. i doubt its worth losing a friend over it but then again, i wouldnt consider them much of a friend if they couldnt man up and do the right thing. oh well
Old 07-24-2009, 09:06 PM
10 Second Club

Maybe I was raised different, but if I use someones car, it comes back with a full tank of gas and anything happens, I will take care of it.

This is the same reason I dont like using someone elses car unless I have no choice and really need to.
Old 07-25-2009, 03:59 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Cobra R
Maybe I was raised different, but if I use someones car, it comes back with a full tank of gas and anything happens, I will take care of it.

This is the same reason I dont like using someone elses car unless I have no choice and really need to.
Dude I agreee with this state me to a point...

if the friend never changes his oil and you blow the motor just driving it.. should you be held accountable??

If the owner is neglectful in something it's their fault...

Ps i try never to barrow a car that i did not know about
Old 07-25-2009, 05:03 PM
11 Second Club

dude just throw some money at him. and remain friends $50 isnt worth a fight. i mean its only $50 jesus lol