Eastern Members CT, DE, NH, NJ, NY, MA, ME, MD, PA, RI, VT, VA, WV

[Annandale, VA] Bad Shop Warning

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2010, 03:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default [Annandale, VA] Bad Shop Warning

I have just had an experience at the Citgo in Annandale on Columbia Pike that might interest any local NOVA readers.

For major work I take the car to a shop in Baltimore but for minor work I used to take the car to the local Citgo, where I and my family have been happy customers for a few years.

In short, I have a moderately modified 2002 Z28. The engine is stock, but it has a lid, 9'', 4.10s, and a few suspension modifications. It also had Hawk HPS brake pads.

So I dropped the car off with instructions to change the oil and check the brakes because they had become noisy lately. If the pads needed to be replaced I wanted them to replace them with another pair of Hawk pads. At no time did I authorize any work to be done on the car other than the oil change. I just wanted to know where I stood regarding the brakes before I made any commitments.

A few hours later the mechanic left me a voicemail saying that I needed new pads and a few other minor brake repairs. Instead of calling him back, I went down to the shop to make sure they got my instructions regarding the Hawk pads with no misunderstandings.

The mechanic was out of the shop, but I left a written description of the work I wanted done with the clerk, including the specific pads I wanted them to install, along with my cell phone number if there were any questions. A short time later I got another call from the shop and they said that the car was ready, which struck me as odd considering that I wanted special parts installed and I expected that to take some time.

Well, needless to say they went a head and installed stock brake pads that cost almost as much as the HPS pads. Given time constraints and my schedule I didn't have time to throw at the problem so I paid the bill and left.

This entire episode really makes me wonder how many other “mistakes” they may have committed over the years regarding my other vehicles. It really doesn't matter though because I will be spending my money elsewhere in the future.

I have also had problems with Currys in the past, but that is another post.

Are there any NOVA shops that can find their *** with both hands and deliver on time and on spec?

I would love to find a local competent hot rod shop if anyone can point me in the right direction because I am sick of what these other shops pass off as work.

And no, I don't know how to work on it myself yet and I cannot learn because I am too busy and have no place to work on it regardless. I cannot wait to get out of here to somewhere where I can afford a house with a garage. Or a house at all for that matter.

It really seems as though if you want it done right you have to do it yourself.

tl;dr: The shop did unauthorized non-conforming work and I will no longer patronize the establishment. If you need automotive care then based on my experience I suggest you look elsewhere.

Last edited by disgruntledvirginian; 02-23-2010 at 03:47 PM.
Old 02-23-2010, 04:02 PM
TECH Apprentice

About the only work i pay to have done to any of my cars are alignments and tire mounting/balancing. I have 2 shops that i use. Exxon in west springfield which is also a full service shop and i use the NTB on port royal road off of braddock.

Unfortunately you said it. If you want the work done right you have to do it yourself.

I do a lot of work for my co-workers and of course mine and my gf's families vehicles. Mostly simple, easy stuff. If you still need to swap those pads out i can give you a hand.

edit i just noticed your screen name - disgruntledvirginian aren't we all.
Old 02-24-2010, 02:03 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I read this post twice and it really sounds like you are making a big deal over a minor mistake? So they installed the wrong brake pads...you could have said "hey you installed the wrong brake pads." After that they will follow up with a "woops we'll rectify that right away" and you could get a ride from someone and possibly gotten a discount from the shop.
Old 02-24-2010, 06:16 AM
Teching In

The million dollar question...are your brakes still noisy?
Old 02-24-2010, 07:39 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

umm, your bitching cus you took a car to a local garage asking for aftermarket brake pads? I will guarentee that nobody there or at the parts house they deal with have any idea what HAWK pads are...where they suposed to wait a week for the pads to be special ordered??? And thats if they even know where to look for the pads
Old 02-24-2010, 02:43 PM
TECH Resident

Also if you give a shop these instructions
If the pads needed to be replaced I wanted them to replace them with another pair of Hawk pads.
You authorized the work to be done if certain conditions were met.

Did you supply another set of Hawk Pads for them to use? If not, then shame on you. Did you leave any other specific instructions for them if they could not source a set of Hawk pads? Probably not either. Seems you should have given clearer instructions for them in case the "specific" brand parts were not available. Yeah, they should have called you to inform you that they could not get any Hawk pads and had to use oe pads.

Also many shops use certain parts shops that they have charge accounts with, so just because Pep Boys carry them, doesn't mean any repair shop can just go buy them being.

You could have done what HumanNipple said too.
Old 02-24-2010, 02:50 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

I agree with Chef. You can't expect a reguler garage to understand performance parts.They live off banging out cars fast.
Old 02-24-2010, 07:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Slowhawk
I agree with Chef. You can't expect a reguler garage to understand performance parts.They live off banging out cars fast.
I also agree. Most shops have no idea what Hawk pads are, especially some corner gas station. I'll go even further and say you didn't make it clear that Hawk was a brand, and they took you for someone who was uninformed - if you disagree with the uninformed comment, go back and read the previous sentence
Old 02-25-2010, 07:45 AM
9 Second Club

Nice 1st post
Old 02-25-2010, 03:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Old 03-01-2010, 10:57 AM
TECH Enthusiast

hate to say it but i agree with everyone else. I try and do most of the work myself or take it to a performance shop but when I can't I have become friends with the Shell Station in centreville. They all know me well and know when i bring my car in to call me for anything before doing it. I get special parts ordered all the time and it sits outside their shop for awhile or i take it home until they come in. This has happened to me but after talking to them about it they understand now. I also do try and bring the specialty parts to them that way there is no confusion.
Old 03-01-2010, 01:34 PM
Race your car!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

I don't know why you aren't doing the brakes yourself. Get the parts, it's only FOUR bolts to pull the caliper and rotor.

Not too difficult, buying the wrenches and a jack and a set of jackstands, if you don't own a single tool, would be cheaper then paying someone to do it once.